General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tuffxf
Pro
Pro

SBC oil pump pick ups

Post by tuffxf »

G,day,
Have an 880 block here with a one piece felpro gasket, 0123320 mexican sump.
With a m55hv pump and a 55S1 pickup i have 20mm pick up to pan clearance which i'm not happy with.
Old oil pump had an end cover off i think a m155 or 10551 style pump with the 3/4 pick up, who ever rebuilt this last put that end plate and 155S pick up onto the m55hv pump, that sits the pickup another 8 - 10 mm deeper which would be ok. this endplate is not good enough to re use,
is there an after market pickup in the factory type style that sits another 3/8 or so deeper than the 55S1 with a 5/8 style press fit that anyone knows of?
Otherwise we'll get another 3/4 style pump and pick up.
Have the issues with the thin castings and pm gears gone away or is still an issue?
Thanks very much! not a chev guy here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC oil pump pick ups

Post by BillK »

An 880 block probably had an M155 pump from the factory. If you want to use an HV pump why not just use a M155HV ??

I dont have a 55S1 to compare it to but the 55S2 puts it a lot lower than your picture. Also just about every SBC pickup I have seen in a stock engine sits at an angle instead of flat. Picture below is the 55S2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Re: SBC oil pump pick ups

Post by tuffxf »

G,day Bill,
Thanks for the reply!
Yes may have to use the m155hv pump, he already has the m55hv so i thought i'd see if i can locate a pick up that would work with what he had.
Cheers