Holley 850...Made in China?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lizardracing
Pro
Pro
Re: Holley 850...Made in China?

Post by Lizardracing »

Krooser wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:54 am Here's my confession for today...

Normally I would know better but I bought a cheap ($48.00) 2" carb spacer from FuManChu Racing Parts. Got delivered on time... Nice fit and finish.

So I ordered some carb studs from McMaster & Carr. Delivered on time...nice finish.

I attempt to screw them into the intake for a trial fit. They don't!!! One goes in three threads....a couple more five threads... one won' t even start in the hole. No bigge....I get out my thread chasers. Still no go... even the thread chaser wont thread on the stud.

WTF?
Whats the thread pitch? Not what's on the package but count the actaul teeth per inch? What's the minor and major diameter?

Different class of threads or worn out tooling, rolled, die cut, etc all may be at play.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Tuner wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:56 am

Normally I would know better but I bought a cheap ($48.00) 2" carb spacer from FuManChu Racing Parts. Got delivered on time... Nice fit and finish.

So I ordered some carb studs from McMaster & Carr. Delivered on time...nice finish.

I attempt to screw them into the intake for a trial fit. They don't!!! One goes in three threads....a couple more five threads... one won' t even start in the hole. No bigge....I get out my thread chasers. Still no go... even the thread chaser wont thread on the stud.

WTF?
You must have got some that were supposed to go to Canada.
LOL...I see what you did there!!
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Lizardracing wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:03 am

WTF?
Whats the thread pitch? Not what's on the package but count the actaul teeth per inch? What's the minor and major diameter?

Different class of threads or worn out tooling, rolled, die cut, etc all may be at play.
5/16” NC. One hole in the intake is only drilled/tapped for about five threads before it bottoms out. I may drill it deeper and install helicoils in all four carb stud holes.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I think I know why the Chinese are making new Q-jets, because GM gave them their blessing to do so after all GM makes a ton of parts there.
Xnke
Pro
Pro

Post by Xnke »

Steve.k wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:28 am Does anyone know if the original owners of quickfuel did they start up again?
Yes, ATM Carburator. I do some work for them from time to time. Marvin's still around, but the business is run by Angela now.
RTR-1

Post by RTR-1 »

CamKing wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:43 pm
1972ho wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:09 pm It’s basically just called greed plain and simple if you can’t make a trillion dollars in your life with made in America just let some other country do it.
This is normally what happens when a private equity company buys a well known business. They pay a premium for a company, because of the company's well known name and reputation ,and seek to take advantage of that. They seek to have everything made as cheaply as possible, and use the company name to sell the product.

You normally never see this when the original owners are running the business, because they know how much work went in to building the name and reputation. They work to keep and build their reputation, not cash in on it.
This private equity company that owns Holley owns MSD also. That must be why many MSD stuff is Chinese also. I'm so disappointed when I saw "Made in China' on new MSD dist caps, rotors, bronze gears, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if MSD's entire product line will be Chinese soon :x
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

CamKing wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:32 pm
1972ho wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 pm Well I think for the most part that hasn’t really been a concern in our country for a very long time making more money than you could possibly spend in life time is a way of the world in this country and everyone is doing paying people less and keeping more for themselves even if they can’t spend it.
Sorry, but I know very few business owners that feel that way.
I get companies from other countries calling and emailing me, all the time, to try and become one of my suppliers. They can all save me money, but they're not adding value to my customers, and that's what matters. It's my name on the box, not theirs, and it's my reputation that will suffer, if the product isn't a quality product.

Another great example of this, is Hylift Johnson lifters. While many of the other lifter companies went to other countries to have their lifters made, 25+ years ago. Hylift Johnson decided to keep production in the US. During the Covid shutdown last year, the US foundry that made the lifter bodies for Hylift Johnson went out of business. The easiest, and most cost effective solution, was for Hylift Johnson to start buying their lifter bodies from one of the non-US foundries already making lifter bodies for the other lifter companies. Hylift Johnson decided to find a US foundry that could make their lifter bodies, even though it would take half a year for that foundry to tool up to make the lifters, and the price for the lifter bodies would be over double what the "off-shore" bodies would cost.
I'm sure they knew that the higher pricing they would now have to charge for their lifters, would cost them some "price conscious" customers, but they still chose "American Made".

When I found out the new Hylift Johnson lifters were going to cost me about $40 more per set, the cheapest and easiest thing for me to do, was to start buying the "off-shore" lifters, like my competitors. I decided to stay with American made lifters, and raise my lifter prices to cover the increase in cost. My customers now have the choice to pay a little more for a quality American made product, or go elsewhere for a cheaper Off-Shore product.
Huge thumbs up, Mike!

HB
Rob-bb

Post by Rob-bb »

Kazoom wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:34 pm a lot more of Holley's stuff is being made there, some are just in denial that america makes NOTHING TODAY
I saw a doco on how the modern American muscle car is made, I think it was about the dodge, it was about 15 years ago on tv. Any way, it wasn't made in America, it was assembled from parts made in Mexico and Canada, even the machines and robots used in the assembly were made in Japan. Just about the only thing made in America were the factory workers
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Yup the Challengers, Magnums and Chargers are made in Brampton Ontario
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

1980RS wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:45 pm I have not bought a new Holley in decades, I just wait for the ones that guys screw up to show on craigslist and marketplace then scoop them up cheap. I did buy 3 new FST's carbs last year, all were better quality than a lot of new Holley's I have seen of late.
I am helping youngest son build a new 350 for his '92 Camaro ragtop. Its for everyday driving and weekend cruising when the weather is nice. 9.5:1 comp., mild hyd. roller cam, AFR 180 heads, Edelbrock EPS intake, free flowing SLP headers and exhaust system for the '91 Pontiac Firehawk. Redline around 5,400 - 5,500 RPMs. Not a race car.

Being aware of Holley's collaboration with the Chi-Coms over the past 15 years or so...... I have several older American made Holley carbs here that I could have rebuilt but they are larger than he needs on an engine like that. So I contacted a fellow who specializes in rebuilding Ford Autolite carbs and he fixed us up with a couple nice 600 cfm Autolites (1 for now and 1 for a spare). Annular booosters, original to a '58 Merc 383 Marauder engine. Factory jetting for the Merc is a little fat for the 352 and 390 Fords. Should be pretty close to what we need for son's 350 engine running the 10% ethanol we are stuck with here and we can fine tune from there.

Yes, we are running a Ford water heated/cooled thermo base plate under it as well. There was no core charge and both rebuilt Autolites cost less than a single new Holley 570 cfm 'Street Avenger'.

FWIW...... I had a 600 cfm Autolite carb on my '63-1/2 Galaxie 390 engine many moons ago. Gave the car to my Step-dad when I left for the Marines in '66. He drove the car until '78 and traded it in on a new MOPAR when it was 15 years old. Most trouble free carb we've ever had. Never even had to put a kit in the old Autolite. Just keep it clean and run good gas and it will go forever.

Now if I can just keep the Chevy guys from burning a cross in my yard, all should be well. :shock:

Happy Motoring,

Harry
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Consumers want cheap products, thus the inevitable conclusion is that you will sooner or later have to make your products in a country that has cheaper manufacturing costs. Until, of course, you then become that country...
Lets face it, the regular consumer couldn't give a crap if everyone on this site lost their jobs or businesses, as long as they could buy an MSD knock off dizzy for 50 cents cheaper than the real deal.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Also, one other thing I'd like to add.
When a business like Speedmaster (or Prcomp as they were once called) , who primarily do nothing more than clone other companies products, get a booth at SEMA,awards from them and a handshake from the tossers who run it, then your screwed...