General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Firedome8
Guru
Guru

Re: Holley 850...Made in China?

Post by Firedome8 »

Tuner wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:59 pm
Firedome8 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:41 pm I believe the customer bought from amazon ..no he returned them for credit . I will contact him to verify his source. I now wish I would have profiled them and tried to make it work.
Are you sure it wasn't "remanufactured"?

Description
This item is a new 4 Barrel Carburetor. Replacement for 1966-1973 Chevy Chevrolet GMC Cadillac Fits 327 350 427 454 with Divorced Remote Mechanical Choke

Features & details
This item is a new 4 Barrel Carburetor
Top Quality CNC-Machined Carburetor is an engine accessory made from sturdy, tough prime fibrous Alloy materials
Cars enhanced durability and superior reliability, Improve throttle response for better engine performance
Pefect Idle and Top Accelerator Status, help to keep your Vehicle running at Fantastic performance
Replacement for 1966-1973 Chevy Chevrolet GMC Cadillac Fits 327 350 427 454 with Divorced Remote Mechanical Choke
Product information
Manufacturer ALL-CARB
Brand ALL-CARB
Item Weight 7.05 pounds
Product Dimensions 13.39 x 10.63 x 6.69 inches
Item model number Does not apply
Manufacturer Part Number Does not apply
Additional Information
ASIN: B08P2MR6TP

This is the information I got from my customer, the carb had no identification markings and looked brand new .
A good test is worth a thousand opinions.
Smokey
hysteric
Pro
Pro

Post by hysteric »

VMC wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:30 pm
Tuner wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:59 pm
Firedome8 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:41 pm I believe the customer bought from amazon ..no he returned them for credit . I will contact him to verify his source. I now wish I would have profiled them and tried to make it work.
Are you sure it wasn't "remanufactured"?
"They" are producing "new" "Quadrajets" now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Car ... ition=1000
Had to laugh when I saw where it was shipped from:

Item location:
Chino, California, United States:

Chino not China....... :lol:
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I just bought some carb studs from McMaster/Carr...cant them to thread into the intake even after cleaning up the threads on the intake and studs.

The old studs worked just fine. New ones must be some top secret Chinese thread pitch...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Krooser wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:50 am I just bought some carb studs from McMaster/Carr...cant them to thread into the intake even after cleaning up the threads on the intake and studs.

The old studs worked just fine. New ones must be some top secret Chinese thread pitch...
Rolled threads VS die cut threads.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Does anyone know if the original owners of quickfuel did they start up again?
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

I am just going too add on the political points, If Americans didn't demand high wages for low skilled labor than they could also keep a job longer.

IE, $50/hr plus benefits and a pension for factory type work where one is expected to show up on time and screw in a few screws on each piece coming down the assembly line.

Off shore may not be perfect but they are filling a market need that Americans won't bother with.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Lizardracing wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm IE, $50/hr plus benefits and a pension for factory type work where one is expected to show up on time and screw in a few screws on each piece coming down the assembly line.
I was expecting you to say $15/hr for saying "Would you like fries with that?"
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

BradH wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:21 pm
Lizardracing wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm IE, $50/hr plus benefits and a pension for factory type work where one is expected to show up on time and screw in a few screws on each piece coming down the assembly line.
I don't even bother ordering anymore. It doesn't matter when they put what they think I need in the bag anyway.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Lizardracing wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm
I don't even bother ordering anymore. It doesn't matter when they put what they think I need in the bag anyway.
Ya' mean like yesterday where we ordered two (2) hash browns along w/ other breakfast stuff and ended up with two (2) apple pies, instead? My son heard me rant on that for a bit, especially cuz we didn't have time to go back to deal with it after finding the incorrect items.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

BradH wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:39 pm
Lizardracing wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 pm
Ya' mean like yesterday where we ordered two (2) hash browns along w/ other breakfast stuff and ended up with two (2) apple pies, instead? My son heard me rant on that for a bit, especially cuz we didn't have time to go back to deal with it after finding the incorrect items.
Out racing one time and stopped at a fast food joint. one of our guys asked for biscuits and gravy. On down the road he opened the box and it was just gravy......no biscuit.
I mean Cmon man! how does one miss the fact that theres no damn biscuit in the box when the gravy was added?

Another story,
I took a part time job doing concessions for some extra racing money a few years ago. I'm 45 working with a bunch of 20 somethings.
My job this one particular night was running the registers taking orders and filling drinks. Now this register is just a big calculator that attached to server that does all the math for you and sits out a number so all you have to do is tap a button the number of times the request is asked for. 1 time for hotdog, 2 times for 2 dog etc.......Pretty mindless really.
One night during half time of a big conference game, hungry people standing in line 50 deep, the damn system goes down. I simply adapted and starting doing the math in my head based on the menu pricing board behind me and kept filling orders and counting change and double checking order fulfillment as others went into a panic attack and just stood there having no idea what to do without the computer telling them. At the end of the night I was reprimanded for it. I was told that's not how it was done. I told the manager if my cash numbers were off then I would quit, if they weren't, I might still quit be either way I wasn't signing the stupid paper.
My drawer was off a dollar on a $7500 dollar countdown after 3 hours. The largest drawer in the stadium that night because my line was the only one moving. The next largest drawer was about $500, all transactions stopped when the system went down because the employees are told to stop serving food regardless of the 65,000 people wanting food. We were supposed to turn them away instead.
I miscounted a $1 to someone. Opps. My bad. I quit.

The problem here is that low skilled workers aren't expected to use their brains. Therefore they don't, but the position still payed $10/hr so a HUGE net loss happened when the food spoiled, the cash wasn't flowing, and the fans were angry they couldn't get drinks and dogs and pop corn.

It's a real problem in American society to expect wages higher than the skills levels required. When Americans won't do it, China will and there goes the jobs.
Ohio Rob

Post by Ohio Rob »

Wages are only one part of it.
I strongly disagree that Americans should join the race to the bottom by lowering our wages and standard of living.

They don’t have environmental regs in China and they don’t have a 40 hour work week with child labor protections. They don’t have OSHA to deal with. Those kinds of things add up to way more than an hourly wage does.

That said, Americans will never compete with a workforce that’s willing to work for nothing, in poor conditions, whenever and for however long they tell you to.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Steve.k wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:28 am Does anyone know if the original owners of quickfuel did they start up again?
I was told they started FST.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Well likley be the carbs to buy now. Had good luck with early quickfuel thats for sure.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Here's my confession for today...

Normally I would know better but I bought a cheap ($48.00) 2" carb spacer from FuManChu Racing Parts. Got delivered on time... Nice fit and finish.

So I ordered some carb studs from McMaster & Carr. Delivered on time...nice finish.

I attempt to screw them into the intake for a trial fit. They don't!!! One goes in three threads....a couple more five threads... one won' t even start in the hole. No bigge....I get out my thread chasers. Still no go... even the thread chaser wont thread on the stud.

WTF?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Krooser wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:54 am Here's my confession for today...

Normally I would know better but I bought a cheap ($48.00) 2" carb spacer from FuManChu Racing Parts. Got delivered on time... Nice fit and finish.

So I ordered some carb studs from McMaster & Carr. Delivered on time...nice finish.

I attempt to screw them into the intake for a trial fit. They don't!!! One goes in three threads....a couple more five threads... one won' t even start in the hole. No bigge....I get out my thread chasers. Still no go... even the thread chaser wont thread on the stud.

WTF?
You must have got some that were supposed to go to Canada.