Holley 850...Made in China?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Holley 850...Made in China?

Post by Krooser »

While ordering some new bedding for myself on Amazon I cruised over to "auto parts" and looked at some alky carb specs. Here's what I found...

Holley 0-80804HBX Carburetor (0-80804HBX - Ultra HP - 850CFM)
Brand: Holley

Price: $997.95
Thank you for being a Prime member. Get a $150 Gift Card: Pay $847.95 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.
Holley Performance 0-80804Hbx Ultra Hp Carburetor - 850Cfm
Product Dimension (LxWxH): 14. 2x12. 7x9. 5
The product is manufactured in China
› See more product details

No other carb that I looked at was "Chicom"... misprint?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Re: Holley 850...Made in China?

Post by Roundybout »

Fatman
Guru
Guru

Post by Fatman »

Could it be that components are made in China but carb is assembled in USA?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Fatman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:07 am Could it be that components are made in China but carb is assembled in USA?
even if, still made in china. #-o
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Roundybout wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:18 pm Wouldn’t surprise me

https://casetext.com/case/holley-perfo ... na-network
Interesting case...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

It’s basically just called greed plain and simple if you can’t make a trillion dollars in your life with made in America just let some other country do it.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

1972ho wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:09 pm It’s basically just called greed plain and simple if you can’t make a trillion dollars in your life with made in America just let some other country do it.
This is normally what happens when a private equity company buys a well known business. They pay a premium for a company, because of the company's well known name and reputation ,and seek to take advantage of that. They seek to have everything made as cheaply as possible, and use the company name to sell the product.

You normally never see this when the original owners are running the business, because they know how much work went in to building the name and reputation. They work to keep and build their reputation, not cash in on it.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Well I think for the most part that hasn’t really been a concern in our country for a very long time making more money than you could possibly spend in life time is a way of the world in this country and everyone is doing paying people less and keeping more for themselves even if they can’t spend it.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

The Holley cast alum valve covers that I bought are made in china, says right on the box.

I don't like it but it's unavoidable for a consumer these days and only going to get worse Now. The BIG company's lobby politicians to change laws & regulations that help them import and hurt manufacturing here. It makes them lots of money.

What also hurts American part co's is they often have many tiers of a part and china will copy the best and sell it cheaper.

I've gotten comments on my videos over the ebay china heads, which I find funny. Cause lots of people seem to have no problem with cheap china turbos or LS swapping a foreign car all over youtube LOL Also I'm sure most(not on this board) spend less than I do on good American made parts, I got over $100 in ARP washers alone I bought this winter and plenty of other American made good or bad parts(gotta return $100 in Crower new keepers that are no better than ones I posted about in another thread). I'm sure they also spend more at walmart than I do LOL

In my opinion many American co's need to stop trying to sell consumers inferior products with pricing tiers and just sell their best at a reasonable price. For example it's been said why are SBC 15 deg heads still so high.

Your always gonna have cheap or bargain type people who buy as much as they can used anyway BUT if they can buy better new from china. For example some cheap new heads vs old worn out used.

I'm sure my ratio of American vs china parts is changing each year and more often I find that the parts I buy trying to support an America co, is just a name on a box of foreign products that cost more than if I'd gotten it nameless off ebay. Like the Holley valve covers, I paid more for a name vs generic plain china covers and the reviews say they crack easy, so don't over tighten them.

I could go on and on but the truth is American co's need to adapt cause with the recent election, things are not gonna get better anytime soon. I'm Flint area so I've already seen it, the days of workers with lots of extra cash are going away. The younger generation won't have the money and don't have the patriotism.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

1972ho wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 pm Well I think for the most part that hasn’t really been a concern in our country for a very long time making more money than you could possibly spend in life time is a way of the world in this country and everyone is doing paying people less and keeping more for themselves even if they can’t spend it.
Sorry, but I know very few business owners that feel that way.
I get companies from other countries calling and emailing me, all the time, to try and become one of my suppliers. They can all save me money, but they're not adding value to my customers, and that's what matters. It's my name on the box, not theirs, and it's my reputation that will suffer, if the product isn't a quality product.

Another great example of this, is Hylift Johnson lifters. While many of the other lifter companies went to other countries to have their lifters made, 25+ years ago. Hylift Johnson decided to keep production in the US. During the Covid shutdown last year, the US foundry that made the lifter bodies for Hylift Johnson went out of business. The easiest, and most cost effective solution, was for Hylift Johnson to start buying their lifter bodies from one of the non-US foundries already making lifter bodies for the other lifter companies. Hylift Johnson decided to find a US foundry that could make their lifter bodies, even though it would take half a year for that foundry to tool up to make the lifters, and the price for the lifter bodies would be over double what the "off-shore" bodies would cost.
I'm sure they knew that the higher pricing they would now have to charge for their lifters, would cost them some "price conscious" customers, but they still chose "American Made".

When I found out the new Hylift Johnson lifters were going to cost me about $40 more per set, the cheapest and easiest thing for me to do, was to start buying the "off-shore" lifters, like my competitors. I decided to stay with American made lifters, and raise my lifter prices to cover the increase in cost. My customers now have the choice to pay a little more for a quality American made product, or go elsewhere for a cheaper Off-Shore product.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Post by Erland Cox »

https://www.anabint.se/Produkter_Bildel ... asare.html

950 with metering blocks with changeable jets 2000SEK, around 235 USD.
There are sold under the name Fajs.
Everything is copied.

Erland
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

I recently got an intake setup from Holley, and at the very least, the throttle body was made in china.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Holley carbs have been China for a while, at least the newer products. Some of the older classic stuff is still made here, but because of their change in policy concerning parts sales a lot of carb shops are buying more billet bodies and bases from companies making them here. 95% or more of the new carbs I build are billet body, bases, and blocks, and some with billet bowls. Cast bowls are all coming from China, I try to use the best product to work with. Only when I have a class requirement do I use cast bodies.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I have not bought a new Holley in decades, I just wait for the ones that guys screw up to show on craigslist and marketplace then scoop them up cheap. I did buy 3 new FST's carbs last year, all were better quality than a lot of new Holley's I have seen of late.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

1980RS wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:45 pm I have not bought a new Holley in decades, I just wait for the ones that guys screw up to show on craigslist and marketplace then scoop them up cheap. I did buy 3 new FST's carbs last year, all were better quality than a lot of new Holley's I have seen of late.
The company in China that makes FST parts offered to make the same design for Edelbrock.
I don't remember the exact price but I think it was something around $150 for a whole billet carb.
The parts looked great.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars