Timing belt tensioner

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Racer71
Pro
Pro
Timing belt tensioner

Post by Racer71 »

Kinda strange question but I have a hydraulic belt tensioner that is no longer available to buy new that is bad. Has anyone ever tried opening one up possibly replace seal and I’m assuming O-ring inside? I guess I could try to make a mechanical adjustable tensioner assembly if I have to like we do on the Chevy ecotec engines.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Timing belt tensioner

Post by ProPower engines »

Racer71 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:56 pm Kinda strange question but I have a hydraulic belt tensioner that is no longer available to buy new that is bad. Has anyone ever tried opening one up possibly replace seal and I’m assuming O-ring inside? I guess I could try to make a mechanical adjustable tensioner assembly if I have to like we do on the Chevy ecotec engines.
So what engine are you working on???
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

3.0 Porsche from my 968
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

A couple of springs, a piston, some discs with holes, and oil. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems that damn near all of them that I've replaced over various engines seem to have the same sized tensioner bores and bodies, with only the mounting bolt bosses differing. If I had a friendly parts guy, I'd tell him what I'm doing and try to match something up and swap the guts out. Aisan seems to hold the patent and manufacturing on most of them.

http://www.rockauto.com/genImages/64/HydTens.html

I see that FCP Euro shows a 968 tensioner in stock, but it is pricey. "Porsche tax," add a zero to the end of what it costs for Hondas and Toyotas.

What exactly is wrong with yours?
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

In the theme so to speak, Toyota 22RE timing chain tensioner- decent engines but the tensioner is a weak point for dirt or trash or whatever compromises it. Looking to replace my brand new tensioner- here dealer $250cdn, pulled ebay NOS for $45us- for such a small simple part, lots of china crap out there. Not to too bad of a job- but who likes doing things over and over.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

When I went to order the one at FCP it came up out of stock. I saw the cutaway on the rock auto site while doing some late night searching. I may try to pull the original apart, not much to lose. Belt is slapping badly so not gonna try running it. If I could find a round one with no mounting tabs and make a hold down that uses the original mounting holes maybe. I guess I could make up something and adjust it manually like my old turbo.