Flowmaster Pro Series laminar flow mufflers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

427dart
Expert
Expert
Flowmaster Pro Series laminar flow mufflers?

Post by 427dart »

Looking at the 12 inch shortie version round case 3 inch pipe size. Any flow tests done on these and any folks here try them.
Will be running them on my 550 HP street/strip use 1985 Mustang. Supposed to be the quieter type muffler with great exhaust flow.

Over the past 35 years I have run just about every type of muffler on my little hot rod. Setup for the last year is the 3 inch Series 10 single chamber
center inlet and outlet. I use 3 inch header collector flanges on the exit of muffler for a nice easy to remove and smooth taper down to the 2 1/2 inch tailpipe connection. These mufflers are just a bit to loud without any real tone to the exhaust note.
Setup before that was a pair of "freebie" 5 inch round case Magnaflows with a 2 3/4 inch core 14 inch long case that came off a friends 2010 Mustang.
They worked well too. Exhaust sound and performance is one of my things and I change up setups like people change socks!
Found out one way to get rid of drone on the Foxbody Mustang was to eliminate the long straight tailpipes that came on these cars and go to a shorter pipe that exits just to the rear of the rear tire with a slight curve and angle cut.

The laminar flow design looks interesting.
427dart
Expert
Expert
Re: Flowmaster Pro Series laminar flow mufflers?

Post by 427dart »

Well since NOBODY replied I will give my opinion on these 3 inch Pro Series mufflers.

If you want the quietest 3 inch exhaust system on a 500-600 HP street/strip car I recommend these mufflers. Just got it finished up and has a moderate rumble but nothing like the old Flowmaster stuff quieter than same size Magnaflow 3 inch core muffler I ran some years ago.
As you get older...pushing 70 your ears tend to not tolerate certain loud frequencies or tones. Love these mufflers!
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Thanks for coming back with info. All to often questions go unanswered and when things do get “tried” we never hear back. Would love to hear about track performance as well.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
norm

Post by norm »

I have been curious about these mufflers as well but haven't found much real world info, just manufacturers info which is geared to sell.

Does the performance seem good compared to prior mufflers?
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

norm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:34 am I have been curious about these mufflers as well but haven't found much real world info, just manufacturers info which is geared to sell.

Does the performance seem good compared to prior mufflers?
Well the butt dyno indicates a bit more pull. I was able to get just a bit more throaty sound which is perfect now by switching out my
crossover chamber plate from open to 90% divided which gives a bit more pop to the exhaust sound. I can change it back and forth in about 5 minutes
removing 4 nuts. Something I came up with years ago...the tuneable exhaust crossover!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I’d be curious to try one of these on a single 3” exhaust system.

Do you have any sound clips comparing the 2?
norm

Post by norm »

427dart wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:23 pm Well the butt dyno indicates a bit more pull. I was able to get just a bit more throaty sound which is perfect now by switching out my
crossover chamber plate from open to 90% divided which gives a bit more pop to the exhaust sound. I can change it back and forth in about 5 minutes
removing 4 nuts. Something I came up with years ago...the tuneable exhaust crossover!
That's pretty interesting! Thanks for the idea :D
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

travis wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:53 pm I’d be curious to try one of these on a single 3” exhaust system.

Do you have any sound clips comparing the 2?
https://youtu.be/JcqJmwaDfYE
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I had Stupid 40's on my street car and it sounded like a big old dump truck, did not care for that and the droaning in the car. Took those off and have Hooker Areo Chambers on the car now, quiet inside the car and just as fast as the Flowmasters.