Harvey Crane class

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mngforce
Harvey Crane class

Post by mngforce »

Harvey Crane used to give personal and group classes on cams. Has anyone taken his course? Do you still have the course material from the class? Can I get a copy?

Thanks.

Mike Norman
G-Force Engine Development
www.mngforce.com
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Harvey Crane class

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

mngforce wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:25 am Harvey Crane used to give personal and group classes on cams. Has anyone taken his course? Do you still have the course material from the class? Can I get a copy?

Thanks.

Mike Norman
G-Force Engine Development
www.mngforce.com
I don't know if he ever had a book.
He generally offered to drive to your place and teach you.
He gave the software free if you paid for the training.

I know roughly how the software worked, we discussed the possibility of me coding a new version of it with a modern Windows user interface but it never came to be. You could make just about any design you wanted but it was very tedious and you had to juggle a lot of values.

I discussed doing it again after he passed with his family but they were getting poor advice about how the software business works so nothing happened. They were very pleasant, and I would like to have helped but it just didn't work out.

If you were to start over, you would do it a different way than how he did it.
There are many better tools available now to work with.
Still it will be at least 500 hours work for an experienced coder that understands the math and algorithms and how to code them.
If a non-coder were to start from scratch estimate at least 2000 hours.
I probably spent 5000 hours but explored at least 75 different approaches that I invented or found in books and tech papers.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Harvey Crane class

Post by hoffman900 »

You can observe his website via Wayback machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/200906030828 ... crane.com/

The images are floating around. It seemed like a pretty rudimentary program.

You could probably learn a lot buying or finding used camshafts and profiling them. There are several NASCAR cams floating around on eBay that might be interesting.
-Bob