AMC cylinder head project

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

AMC cylinder head project

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Just thought I would post a pic of a project I have been collaborating on with Kevin Fontenot. I'm design, and he is manufacture. There is really little justification to this other than to see if we could do it. It has been a lot of fun, certainly some grief, and a hell of a learning exercise.
URH Intake side 2.jpg
URH Exhaust side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: AMC cylinder head project

Post by DCal »

Any chamber pics?
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Does it have two spark plug holes are or those head bolt holes and if those are head bolts holes how do you put a nut on them and tighten them(the holes on the exhaust side)But now the old AMC will have a canted valve head for some.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Man those look good! =D>

1972ho wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 am Does it have two spark plug holes are or those head bolt holes and if those are head bolts holes how do you put a nut on them and tighten them(the holes on the exhaust side)But now the old AMC will have a canted valve head for some.
Looks like a spark plug hole and 2 bolt holes per cyl/exh port to me. Spark plug being on the left of the port and the other 2 being the bolt holes. You can see that on each alternating port from left to right, one of the bosses/holes around the port(right side) is close to the port, then flattens out onto the flange, and the next port it's closer to the port, then back on the flange again.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Here is a picture of the deck side, and you can see the head bolt pattern better.
URH deck side.jpg
Good catch on the head bolts - that was a huge design problem. The stock head is siamese port, and obviously the bolt pattern is designed for that. The change to symmetrical was a big issue on the exhaust side as 3 of the 4 bolts I had to clear are in a different place relative to the bore - nothing symmetric at all. This is my solution - take the exhaust ports over the top of those 2. You have to use studs, reduced hex nuts, and Snap On torque adapter FRDH181 to bolt it up. The other choice was put a big angle on the exhaust port and bend it around the worst of the bolts which is the end bolt and right under the port. I like this better; a straight out exhaust port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.