Would you move this cam?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

70GS455

Would you move this cam?

Post by 70GS455 »

20210204_111122_001.jpg
The engine {482 BBB) is apart to fix a spun rod bearing and address oiling issues. The dyno results were on 93 pump gas. Best power was found at 38 deg. It cranked 190 to 200 psi with an average of 195 psi on the remaining 6 good cylinders, no spark plugs and no carb. Static CR is 10.7 .The cam is a Bullet 236/244 non-symmetrical HR (291/299 advertised) on 113 LSA installed at 108 via the 0.050 IC number (the point of maximum lift is 107 deg). The drop off after peak torque is probably due to the less than ideal Edelbrock B4B dual plane. I had hoped to hit 600 hp with one of the spreadbores but no cigar. RPM limit is fixed at 6000 due to block structural limitations. So would you advance or retard the cam or leave it as is?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Would you move this cam?

Post by rustbucket79 »

Bit of an ugly torque curve down low, but given the cam and size of engine, I would be tempted to install it in the 113 icl or maybe 2 degrees advanced from there.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Only ONE way to tell....
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

No way to know but to try. But I think a case could be made for backing that cam up a few degrees. 10 more degrees of duration would get you there for sure :lol:
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:34 am Only ONE way to tell....
And that ONE way is to run an engine simulation program to compare settings while the engine is part.

Anything else is simply trial and error, and error, and error, and error... :)
brentry

Post by brentry »

If you had a simulation program (especially one with alot intake options) to match curve as it is now.
Then make changes in sim,eng/redyno
I doubt doing like this will lead in you in the wrong direction .
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Or you could install a hex adjust timing set and matched Cloyes front cover with removable center section and actually test, computer programs have no idea of your engine, at least the affordable ones. [-X

On my small block there was the desired results, but it’s not necessarily the case in every situation. Few people are willing to take the time, and butt dynos can lie. :mrgreen:
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What do you wany to achieve? Increased peak horsepower? Or a better overal curve to make a car accelerate quicker?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

I'd move the cam.......................

To a box, on the shelf.
The cam is too small for 482ci.
You need something in the mid 240's on the intake, and mid 250's on the exhaust. I would also go with a 114 LSA on a 110 ICL.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

CamKing wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 am I'd move the cam.......................

To a box, on the shelf.
My apology to the OP, but that's funny... at least to my twisted sense of humor. :lol:
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Cam might be too small, but the OP got very close to his goal of 600 hp.
If the ultimate aim is bragging rights for 600 hp, worth toggling the cam. Try retarding it 4*.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If I was going to move and test it I would move it to
115/111 centers (113 lsa) ,Test it, then, move it to 111/115 centers.. Test it.. Leave it where ever tests best overall.
70GS455

Post by 70GS455 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:18 am What do you wany to achieve? Increased peak horsepower? Or a better overal curve to make a car accelerate quicker?
Was wanting to get the most I can out of it. The block strength limitation of 6000 rpm is hampering things. I was just thinking having the hp peak so close to the rev limit ( like 100 to 200 rpm away) would be an issue. Bringing the peak rpm down with a cam advance would prob also lower the hp numbers. But retarding it would prob push the peak higher, past the rev limit. We don't have an easily adjustable cam timing setup for this engine
Scott
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

6000 rpm hard operational limit or not, what is yiur end game? A bigger hp number on a dyno sheet, or better acceleration performance in the car? (¼ mile?)

The only way to optimize the cam installed position is to try it in a few positions. Wether on the dyno or in car-at the track. I think after doing that you might consider Cam King's thought of going to a bit bigger duration.
Even with the 6000 rpm operational limit. He's very sharp. (IMHO)

Also consider trying out a Buick (TA Perf) single plane manifold, at least for A-B comparo.
Again even within the 6000 rpm test-operational limit you have set.

If consulting Cam King (off line) the more info you can give him the better he can help you nail down the camshaft.
(Including the results of moving your current cam around +/-) Your tests so far show this engine has a TON of bottom end torque.. May be able to trade a bit for more torque up high (power) 4500-6000 rpm.

Then, its up to you to test that setup, including might move it +/- for in car, on track perf effect.. This is where "the rubber meets the road".
70GS455

Post by 70GS455 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:02 am 6000 rpm hard operational limit or not, what is yiur end game? A bigger hp number on a dyno sheet, or better acceleration performance in the car? (¼ mile?)

The only way to optimize the cam installed position is to try it in a few positions. Wether on the dyno or in car-at the track. I think after doing that you might consider Cam King's thought of going to a bit bigger duration.
Even with the 6000 rpm operational limit. He's very sharp. (IMHO)

Also consider trying out a Buick (TA Perf) single plane manifold, at least for A-B comparo.
Again even within the 6000 rpm test-operational limit you have set.

If consulting Cam King (off line) the more info you can give him the better he can help you nail down the camshaft.
(Including the results of moving your current cam around +/-) Your tests so far show this engine has a TON of bottom end torque.. May be able to trade a bit for more torque up high (power) 4500-6000 rpm.

Then, its up to you to test that setup, including might move it +/- for in car, on track perf effect.. This is where "the rubber meets the road".
I won't be going to the drag strip very much, so its mainly a street car. Was hoping to get a 600 hp number mainly for bragging rights.

A bigger cam is not out of the question later, but was hoping to use what I already had.

I have contacted one generous person who is willing to let me borrow a TA single plane manifold (SP1) for testing purposes. Will most likely offer to buy it if it gives better results, which I know it will.
Scott