Late oem style hyd roller cam in a old flat tappet sbc block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Late oem style hyd roller cam in a old flat tappet sbc block

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

What timing gear do I use to fit a 87-up oem style hyd roller camshaft in a older gen 1 SBC flat tappet block? (400 sbc.)
What timing gear? What cam thrust button? What spacer behind the timing gear?

This hyd roller cam grind is not available in retro-fit type.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Late oem style hyd roller cam in a old flat tappet sbc block

Post by Walter R. Malik »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:30 pm What timing gear do I use to fit a 87-up oem style hyd roller camshaft in a older gen 1 SBC flat tappet block? (400 sbc.)
What timing gear? What cam thrust button? What spacer behind the timing gear?

This hyd roller cam grind is not available in retro-fit type.
Use the later cam gear with making sure of correct spacing to the front of the block,
(you'll need to do some measuring), and simply use Tie-Bar type lifters.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:45 am Use the later cam gear with making sure of correct spacing to the front of the block,
(you'll need to do some measuring), and simply use Tie-Bar type lifters.
I dont think you can do that because the late timing set is designed to work with the thrust plate.

You can install the late model thrust plate on the older blocks if you are careful. Here is a link to a thread on the Team Chevelle site where Gary Sharkey (gosfast) shows how. Gary was making a kit with everything you need but unfortunately he passed away in January. Its not hard to do without Garys kit, I have done 5 of them now.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/sbc-s ... ck.903098/

If you have any questions send me a PM or give me a call. I bought a whole box of the screws from McMaster Carr and can throw some in the mail to you if you want :)
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Thanks for this solution.. I am looking for a no drill solution that uses a cam button to control forward cam thrust but need a "spacer" (washer)? (torrington bearing)? behind the (late type)? cam gear of the right thickness to control rearward cam thrust.
The motor is assembled.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Would it save you some grief having those lobes measured and ground on the correct cam for the block?
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

I dont see why you couldn’t use the original retaining plate as a spacer. By machining the ears of it and make it a round. Then tou can use the late model timing set. But maybe you would have to machine a cam button that fits the late model timing set and a retaining plate to hold it.

If you already have the cam you want to use I understand why you want to take this route. Otherwise you would probably be better of with a custom grind matching these specs you are looking for.

Good luck and let us know how you did it when you finish the project
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

If it helps you any the plate is .120" thick. Not sure if you will find a torrington bearing that thickness or not and it would need a smaller id to match the "snout" on the cam. I think Monza's suggestion of using a plate for a spacer is probably the easiest solution. Not really sure how that would work with the plate being able to spin.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

There are other very good (maybe better) alternative off the shelf retro fit type hyd roller cams that I could choose, but wanted to seek a low cost non complicated way of using this cam in my 400 block. "How to $kin this ¢at" Carving down a OEM thrust plate to serve as a (free running) spacer washer behind the cam gear is one thought.
This hyd roller cam does have the right specs for the job and the right price. Be nice to use it.
Avoid a custom grind cam.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

BillK wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:44 am If it helps you any the plate is .120" thick. Not sure if you will find a torrington bearing that thickness or not and it would need a smaller id to match the "snout" on the cam. I think Monza's suggestion of using a plate for a spacer is probably the easiest solution. Not really sure how that would work with the plate being able to spin.
Yes knowing the thickness and major and minor diameters helps a ton to find a friendy torrington bearing. /or shimming one.
Thanks 👍
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

RevTheory wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 am Would it save you some grief having those lobes measured and ground on the correct cam for the block?
It could save unnessessary grief if yes this cam could be measured at .004" .006" .050" and .200" and find another off the shelf hyd roller cam that is close enough (or better).
This is nit a uncommon camshaft.. Melling #22280 . It just happens to fit the job and is priced right.

Yes if the "Hack"vwork around will end up costing more than the cam's price discount difference..
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

BillK wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:44 am If it helps you any the plate is .120" thick. Not sure if you will find a torrington bearing that thickness or not and it would need a smaller id to match the "snout" on the cam. I think Monza's suggestion of using a plate for a spacer is probably the easiest solution. Not really sure how that would work with the plate being able to spin.
Works for me for the few times I have done it. Just be sure there is enough oil getting to it.
I use a ventilated pipe plug in the center main oil gallery; Pioneer #PP-454.

There may be a Torrington bearing and races of the correct diameter & thickness for doing that but, I have not researched a 3mm thick bearing unit at all; using a little thicker set-up and you could machine the timing gear face some.

A smaller base diameter thrust button needs to be fabricated; I use aluminum or brass rod.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am
Works for me for the few times I have done it. Just be sure there is enough oil getting to it.
I use a ventilated pipe plug in the center main oil gallery; Pioneer #PP-454.\
Good to know :)
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

We're getting close on this.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:20 am
RevTheory wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 am Would it save you some grief having those lobes measured and ground on the correct cam for the block?
It could save unnessessary grief if yes this cam could be measured at .004" .006" .050" and .200" and find another off the shelf hyd roller cam that is close enough (or better).
This is nit a uncommon camshaft.. Melling #22280 . It just happens to fit the job and is priced right.

Yes if the "Hack"vwork around will end up costing more than the cam's price discount difference..
seems 22280 is akin to a GM LTI hotcam but w/ no need of 1.6:1 rockers ... those look like good cams but I've been told they're iron not billet. Is yours?

fwiw for those looking for a nice price on billet steel step nose sbc roller ... summit has their own small selection of USA billet steel sbc step nose rollers ... all 4 on 112 lsa... $220 - $250
https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... =Ascending
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Yes it is similar to the GM LT4 HotCam.
Don't know about material... I'm ok on cast core on this one.
Spring pressure and rpm is not that high...
Also similar to a Comp XE-270HR-10 but $90 less.