D0OE exhaust port

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

n2omike
Guru
Guru

Re: D0OE exhaust port

Post by n2omike »

Mummert wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:03 am Why does everyone always dogg the exhaust port in the SBF iron heads. With 2hrs worth of work they will be capable of making more HP than any thing the intake ports can do with a weeks worth of work. After working these heads on too many occasions the exhaust ports impress me more everytime.
C5AE heads are for sure my favorites I like them better than 351W heads especially for 289-302 builds.

The intake port has always been the sheep in wolves clothing. They are up to the task, but shoturn is finicky and they are very sensitive to the valve head shape, and the amount of grinding is not for the timid.
Agree. My post really had both sides in mind... intake and exhaust. The intakes start out at a paltry 126 cc, and aren't shaped well. They have a water passage running over the ROOF of the port, which lowers the port and compromises the short turn. It does take a LOT of grinding to make them usable. My C6 289 heads ended up at 155 cc and were very thin when finished. Fully done, they are okay for 300-ish cubic inches n/a up to around 7k rpm, but LOTS of room for improvement through the aftermarket. I did mine right before the rash of aftermarket stuff came out. The only heads available at the time were the AR 302 heads... later sold under the Ford Motorsport name as the J302. They were too expensive for me back then, but were very drooled over at the time. lol

I'm impressed with what you've been able to do with these heads! Your engines run hard!