Late 1960s Chevrolet crate engines?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

John Ross
Late 1960s Chevrolet crate engines?

Post by John Ross »

Maybe some of the older guys here can help me out was something. I'm writing a novel with some scenes set in the 1967 to 1970 era involving "regular guy" racers buying high performance parts from Chevrolet.

I remember that you could buy L88 engines from GM Performance Parts in 1968-1969, but were other complete engines also available, such as the 302/290 used in the Z/28, or the L76 327/365 carbureted Corvette motor?

Is there a link to a list of what complete engines could be purchased by an individual from GM in 1969, preferably with prices?

JR
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Late 1960s Chevrolet crate engines?

Post by Tuner »

I recall all engines were available as a "long block" or "3/4 engine", short block and head(s), recycle your intake and carb, distributor, etc. Occasional stories about someone close to a dealership owner, golf partner or Dr. or ?, might get a new engine in their 49,500 mile '67 Corvette 435 Hp car with the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, I was there and crate engines were not a thing for regular guy racers in 1969. Chevrolet intentionally priced the retail so high, it was seldom cost-effective to buy a new engine from them. They wanted the new engine to be so expensive, one would choose to buy a new car instead.

The only bargain Genuine GM Parts ever gave the regular racer were new Duntov cams for $30.

A question you didn't ask, but in the mid-1960s most Chevrolet dealers would not sell the highest performing cars to regular racers. They knew the new big blocks were not ready for prime time. Tom Gloor Chevrolet was a performance dealer until the 1965 396" 425hp Corvettes came out. Each one they sold was back for a new engine within months. The word went out and any Ricky Racer ordering one of those, or a 375hp Chevelle, or a 350hp 327" Chevy II was mysteriously never delivered. When the customer complained, they tried to downsell him into a 325hp Chevelle.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

I've got an uncle who raced Sprint Cars locally in the late 1960's and early 1970's . They ran the 302" engine, would buy a new GM 302 short block from Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids Michigan every spring, transfer his ported heads and injection system after checking out the short block, add a different cam (He might have been buying the "off-road 302 short" with the track cam already in it?) and start the year with a fresh bottom end.

Berger was one of those racer friendly dealerships, like Baldwin-Motion, Yenko, Bill Thomas Chevrolet were.

Then he'd sell the previous years used short block off to a racer on a tighter budget.

Told me once about spending a day with a dial indicator and a dozen sets of stock rocker arms finding which had the highest actual ratio's, ....and then returning the rest.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

1971 bought a high compression LS6 crate motor from Harbor Chevy after being hosed by Mondello at Lyons in my GTO on a Wednesday. Saw the add in Drag Scoop and couldn't resist. $802
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Chevrolet did sell semi-complete engines back in the 60's and 70's. These engines were complete except for starter, carburetor and distributor, but they were not referred to as "crate motors". I bought an L88 engine from the local GM dealer and as I recall the price I paid for the semi-complete engine was about $1100.00. Oil pan and valve covers were also included with this engine. Also bought several 365 hp 327 semi-complete engines about this same time.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:26 pm FWIW, I was there and crate engines were not a thing for regular guy racers in 1969. Chevrolet intentionally priced the retail so high, it was seldom cost-effective to buy a new engine from them. They wanted the new engine to be so expensive, one would choose to buy a new car instead.

The only bargain Genuine GM Parts ever gave the regular racer were new Duntov cams for $30.

A question you didn't ask, but in the mid-1960s most Chevrolet dealers would not sell the highest performing cars to regular racers. They knew the new big blocks were not ready for prime time. Tom Gloor Chevrolet was a performance dealer until the 1965 396" 425hp Corvettes came out. Each one they sold was back for a new engine within months. The word went out and any Ricky Racer ordering one of those, or a 375hp Chevelle, or a 350hp 327" Chevy II was mysteriously never delivered. When the customer complained, they tried to downsell him into a 325hp Chevelle.
If you had a friend at the dealer you had it made. 327 angle plug heads 11:1 for $500 long block in 1976.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

A lot of guys around here simply bought an engine from the junkyard put their
R good heads and roller cams in em and raced.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

We had a few guys running modifieds that had engine deals with Chevy dealers. Free longblock 365/327 each racing season in exchange for advertising on the car. Made a great race engine.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Chevrolet offered the LS-7 454C.I. what i think was referred to as a 3/4 engine assembly, it lacked a Carb., intake, water pump, distributor, and starter. Came with a flywheel and balancer ( external balanced ) . I purchased one from Lopers out West for $2700.00 in 1988. Light port job on the 990 heads ( i believe they were ) , 850 Holley D.P. with choke horn removed, Edelbrock intake with the carb sitting appx. 15 degrees cocked, Vertex Magneto, Isky flat tappet .650 lift...272 @ .050 Symm., 108 L.S.A. It made 540 at appx 6200. Mark H.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:26 pm FWIW, I was there and crate engines were not a thing for regular guy racers in 1969. Chevrolet intentionally priced the retail so high, it was seldom cost-effective to buy a new engine from them. They wanted the new engine to be so expensive, one would choose to buy a new car instead.

And the likely consequence of putting that bargain hot cam in one's old clunker was the extra performance meant the motor would quit sooner than otherwise. :? Then it's back to the dealer for a new engine or car. Sounds like a good business move on their part.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

af2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:53 pm

If you had a friend at the dealer you had it made. 327 angle plug heads 11:1 for $500 long block in 1976.
Yes, decent discounts on parts sold to repair shops.We knew the dealers that had a helpful parts counter man.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

A little later in the time line, but when I worked at a Chevy dealer in the mid 70's, fitted blocks were popular, and we sold many of them to repair engines. You got a new block with pistons, fitted and honed, you then used what ever crank and rods you wanted. Back then we seldom installed new complete engines. Heck we rebuilt alternators and starters, warranty would not pay for a complete unit, you had to rebuild a defective unit and replace only what was bad. When you repaired a transmission under warranty for example only the seals and clutches that were defective were paid for, you did not get an overhaul kit at the parts counter, you had to order individual parts for a repair, and then save them for the warranty rep to look at.
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

I bought a new 327/340 short block for my 57 Corvette in 63 for $225 from Tropical Chevrolet in Miami
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Circlotron wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:32 pm

And the likely consequence of putting that bargain hot cam in one's old clunker was the extra performance meant the motor would quit sooner than otherwise. :? Then it's back to the dealer for a new engine or car. Sounds like a good business move on their part.
Sounds like you weren't there and don't know anything about it. [-X