Bbc 5-600 hp nitrous, let's talk quench

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

russ67chevelle
Bbc 5-600 hp nitrous, let's talk quench

Post by russ67chevelle »

question i have is, when building a bbc engine to see 5-600 hp of nitrous, how much quench is required? Also how is best way to obtain quench?  I'm running a 4.5" crank and 6.7"rods. I think piston is currently  .005" ish in the hole. I know 6.660" rods are common if I should put piston further in the hole instead of running a real thick head gasket.... if you could elaborate, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for your time!
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Bbc 5-600 hp nitrous, let's talk quench

Post by Alaskaracer »

I set my stuff up for about a 350-400 shot at most, but same rules apply. My chambers are modded, I run a .050" head gasket and pistons are .020" in the hole. Best to run pistons further in the hole than a super thick head gasket although some do it that way. Running it farther in the hole also gives you more "room" if you have to have it decked...then just add that to a new head gasket.....

Hard to really say how much is required, as a nitrous engine doesn't like a lot of quench, but every combo will be different. More nitrous, less quench is the rule, because it affects timing. I might be mistaken, but tighter quench requires less timing in general, and can cause detonation when you spray, so it's best to open up. Not much help I know, but it's what I've been told
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer