Cheap Ebay SBC Retrofit Hydraulic roller lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

harry k
Cheap Ebay SBC Retrofit Hydraulic roller lifters

Post by harry k »

As of this time there is shortage for all brand name SBC RETROFIT hydraulic roller lifters (not OEM lifters with the spider) and we all know even the brand name ones are from them 2 lifter manufactures that supply's to them all.

So i see in Ebay as low as $125 and + above ret hyd roller lifters available from these vendors,
The questions are:

Are these are from them 2 lifter manufacturers that supply the brand name valve train company's? that are white box to sell to unknown brands/vendors

concerned for if they are same quality as the brand name ones

Anybody has used these in hyd roller spinning 6K engine first hand info?

Thanks.
Last edited by harry k on Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
someone who thinks logically is a nice contrast to the real world.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Cheap Ebay SBC Retrofit Hydraulic roller lifters

Post by lefty o »

the question that needs to be asked is, do you feel lucky?! 8)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Somebody has to go first.. Might as well be you.
Buy a set and report here.
Buy a set to be sent out for harness, quality etc accessment.

Do they sell single lifter replacements.. Buy 1.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Maybe someday, somebody smart will come up with a no drill no machining drop in spider for using OEM hyd roller lifters in old blocks.. And drop in dog bones that do not require lifter boss/block clearancing on older blocks.
Apparantly the V6 lifters are taller... Don't know about LS6 LS3:Lifters.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

harry k wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:24 pm we all know even the brand name ones are from them 2 lifter manufactures that supply's to them all.
Wrong. There's at least 5 US manufacturers making hydr roller lifers, being sold by the major cam companies. There's also a couple of major cam companies buying hydr roller lifters, from overseas manufacturers.

They cheap lifters on Ebay, are most likely from the overseas manufacturers.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

harry k wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:24 pm
concerned for if they are same quality as the brand name ones
Not a chance ... you'll get what you pay for ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:42 pm Maybe someday, somebody smart will come up with a no drill no machining drop in spider for using OEM hyd roller lifters in old blocks.. And drop in dog bones that do not require lifter boss/block clearancing on older blocks.
Apparantly the V6 lifters are taller... Don't know about LS6 LS3:Lifters.
maybe just a typo, but
IIRC, the OE 3.1L & 3.4L V6 roller lifters (# 2270) are Shorter (~ 2.27" long) than the OE 5.0L & 5.7L V8 OE roller lifters (# 2148 ~ 2.60" long) ... as are their respective lifter bores. Seems #2270 are the ones to use when doing a budget DIY roller conversion on older Gen I V8.
Yup, I also wish there were a easier, cheaper way to skin that cat; have a few 400s that're begging for it.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Thanks.. Do you know off hand the 16 lifter pack part number of the sealed power 2270 lifters.?
Not notably low cost here. $35 ea. (Can) retail.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Sorry, no I don't. AKAIK, there are no OE V8 motors which use that lifter; only L4 & V6.

At one time, I'd collected a load of used OE (from takeout motors) in a kitty litter box full of old oil.

here's an AERA rebuilder who might help
https://mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

So Howards are junk? At $160 Not a bad deal...
GURU is only a name.
Adam
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I few months back I was forced to use some of there lifters for a Pontiac build to get any warranty with the cam.
I have had to replace 2 pairs on the dyno before I could get the thing broken in and tuned.

I have seen the issues you guys in the US face with getting quality parts and up here its even harder to get parts that are both quality and have a reasonable retail price. On the west coast things seem to differ a bit from my eastern neighbors but we are in the same boat.

But I have a question for Mike Jones regarding lifters and their manufactures.
What is the brand names of the manufactures that are currently producing roller Hyd. lifters in the USA or Canada just to be safe.
I know there is a few lifter re-builders out there for sure we used to sell them drums of lifters to the core buyers from the wrecking yard when core returns were torn down but that slowed down enough we stopped doing that about 8 to10 years ago.
But personally I only know of two manufactures of new hyd. roller lifters in the USA. If there is more I think all the guys here would appreciate knowing there is other options for supplying them. =D>

That said same thing regarding retro-fit hyd. lifters as well.
With the one major lifter body manufacture closed and a new operation finishing re-tooling to take over that market share again.
How many other lifter body manufactures is there in the US at present??
And how many Hyd. Roller lifter manufactures exist currently in the US.

Suppliers have told me there is a manufacture in Mexico ( Eaton ) which is the only Mopar lifter manufacture we are seeing stock suppliers up here and the US.
But I know the GM lifters seem to be the hardest to get regardless of which engine in either stock or HP designs.

Thanks Mike for your consideration on this as I am sure it may be a sensitive subject and you may also not want to divulge any of your supply chain info as well but what ever you can shed some light on we all will greatly appreciate.

Dave C
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

af2 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm So Howards are junk? At $160 Not a bad deal...
Where exactly are you getting Howards brand retro fit hyd roller lifters for $160 ?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:18 pm
af2 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm So Howards are junk? At $160 Not a bad deal...
Where exactly are you getting Howards brand retro fit hyd roller lifters for $160 ?
Funny when you call howards they tell you they are morel lifters.
I have seen ebay sellers claim the same deal.
It could also be that howards has a ebay store for their 2nds since there is no warranty on that stuff anyway.
Kinda like a Melling 2nd's oil pump in a private labeled box.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

I'm running a set of ebay link bar lifters. So far, no issues. I have my limiter set at 5,000, and I'm running big block springs with the inners out and 1.5 rockers for now. I did groove the lifter bores for flat tappet oiling before I went roller, however.

Now the set of aftermarket Hemi lifters I put in my friend's 5.7l Jeep Grand Cherokee are noisy as hell until the oil gets in them, then they shut up after a minute or two. It's like starting a brand new engine, every goddamn time. I'll be into that engine soon to dig them out for some OEM ones.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

ProPower engines wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:49 pm
What is the brand names of the manufactures that are currently producing roller Hyd. lifters in the USA or Canada just to be safe.
I know there is a few lifter re-builders out there for sure we used to sell them drums of lifters to the core buyers from the wrecking yard when core returns were torn down but that slowed down enough we stopped doing that about 8 to10 years ago.
But personally I only know of two manufactures of new hyd. roller lifters in the USA. If there is more I think all the guys here would appreciate knowing there is other options for supplying them. =D>

Dave C
I know of 4 ...
Morel
Johnson
Johnson Hy-Lift
Shaver
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.