Things that make me worry and scratch my head!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: Things that make me worry and scratch my head!

Post by englertracing »

MotionMachine wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:15 pm Believe it or not, I had a semi famous Harley builder (he designed and sold aftermarket parts) asked me one how to convert foot lbs to inch lbs. Had I not heard it first hand, I would never have believed it.
Nothing to do with a harley has to work well
It just has to be Shiney or pretty to the unskilled rider.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

And also to add to the above post ,annoyingly loud for no good reason, and this is coming from a guy who has played loud rock music live long enough to have Tinitus in one Ear!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I have built several cars Basicly from the ground up as well as multiple engines including nitrous SBC's, none have failed yet I could not tell you one bolt size that I used since the late 80's, If I need a bolt I find one that fits and then take it to the parts store for a match.

I have lived in the same house since 1997 and I still couldn't tell you the street number that leads to my subdivision from the main road or the street number to enter my subdivision but I make it home everyday. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

When some intentional ( EMP) or unintentional disaster takes out most of the communication satellite's revolving around the planet, and your internet sourse of knowledge that you do not have to have in your head goes down, you then may find a need to talk more to those so called old farts around you and available in your life to continue on, lol!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Sorry let me make a correction in my last post, I should have said “ revolving with our planet “ not around our planet in regards to communication satellites.

I wanted to make this correction so I don’t get band again for 30 days like last month!
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Gosh I didn't know you got banned.
I didn't even miss you. lol
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Are you one of the moderators on this site or just someone who can only enjoy there life and satisfy there need to feel above everyone else by making harsh comments back to people?

Such would be my take on you!
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

In the paradigm that I want to maintain....
the automotive machine shop does what mechanic shop can't do.
The mechanic should know how to disassemble and assemble the assembly.
The machine shop has... or MAKEs the machines and tools as needed to repair the part.
We work FOR mechanics and engine builders, not in competition with them.
When things are brought in inadequately disassembled, this pisses me off, because, IMO, they are not doing their job. If it can be done in the parking lot with a tool kit, it should be. In fact the parking lot is a nicer environment for wrenching IMO.
Being an independent mechanic, generally REQUIRES a spirit of adventure where you tackle a problem that you do not understand and FIGURE it out.
And learning about threaded fasteners would happen naturally.
Not all mechanics are this type apparently. The home gamers and dealer-trained techs might be a different animal.
The idea that is it natural that guys who work with threaded fasteners every day do not know how to choose their own fasteners is WIERD. But MAYBE it is fine. An engineer designs everything, and mechanics just follow the instructions, and that's plausible, but it is not sustainable, these are not the customers I am looking for. There will always be new problems and the whole point of being an independent mechanic is being able to compete with the corporations and WIN, doing it better or cheaper, using your BRAIN.
Keeps em in check.
Specialized shops are fine too, but they lose business when their specialty goes out of fashion.

Without this spirit of adventure, I don't see how it can continue to work at all.
There will always be bolts, and holes that are not round, and flat surfaces that end up curved. I do get the impression a lot that it has skipped a generation and so we have a lot of people don't know things....because they were not charged with an expectation that they should know.
sbcharlie
Pro
Pro

Post by sbcharlie »

im kind amazed and confused on this post. so we have a young person that is building a engine, first I applaud seeing your people people wanting or doing this. I know this post came from another forum. what I read from this forum to help people with questions or ideas. I think he asked a simple question, he bought an aftermarket block, could be metric lots of manufacturers use the metric system for fasteners . I am the motorcycle industry work on both metric and America engines. I hate fractions bolts to a tee. you course and fine threads. the young man is trying to build a engine, I hope he builds a kick ass engine.. some of post amaze me... at least spending money to build his dream. sbc
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

so? Who's going to post the link to the original forum discussion mentioned by the OP?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

It's not like there is only one. There IS a problem. Every single day.
Google "Brake drum puller" and look at the pictures.
Everything is either wrong overcomplicated.

What do you need?
Flat plate of metal with holes drilled in it, and that's it! It's a puller.
If the thing you are pulling already has threaded holes in it, you just connect to those using all thread, or bolts, or coupler nuts as needed. Which, my god, you'd have to SPEC those fasteners all by yourself.
Cannot even find a picture of it on the net to show the kids how to make a basic puller. And the internet is so smart? nope it isn't. Fix problems as you find them. I will take pictures of good examples of pullers and put it on the net. Monkey see monkey do....only works if the monkeys see.

Hey guys, What part number speedy sleeve fits my thing? :P
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I'm sorry for hogging this thread with my own freak out. Please ignore,
but it fixed itself.
In order to build a puller consisting of a piece of metal and all thread, you need to be able to drill holes in the piece of metal, and understand the use of bolts or all-thread.
One fellow suggested I should NOT recommend a puller because it's too "potentially dangerous", too far above basic skill level.
ANd that sounded wise,
then I realize something.
How is it any more or less dangerous than any other threaded fastener in any other piece of metal?
TA DA, it ISN"T

People who use bolts need to understand bolts because if they do not, then....... operating them is potentially dangerous. You'll put your eye out, the wheel falls off the car, ect.
100% sound logic.

And the fact that it is not common enough knowledge to find info about how to pull a brake drum with google, means it cannot work the same way you can drive a car without understanding one.
So my little freak out has solved itself. Thanks for not listening.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I recently read a post on another forum discussing the quality of Wal-Mart and Costco brand engine oil.

One posted said he was disappointed with their oils since the bottles don't have a clear stripe on the sides that show how much is left in the bottle. His car uses 4.5 quarts of oil and with those oils he has to pour out one quart into an old Mobil1 bottle (which has the see thru stripe) so he can see how much is left to use.

Guess his engine does not have a dipstick... or maybe the dipstick is the one driving!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Well I mean don’t you know that the motor will not run if it’s 1/4 Qt high or low on oil!😄
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Well... between OEMs and AM using god knows what... metric / Imperial SAE.... its' actually a legit question....