Air/Fuel meter

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Air/Fuel meter

Post by Krooser »

I'm looking for an air/fuel meter that I can use without mounting it in a acr. And I need it to be affordable on my cheap ass budget...ideas?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Air/Fuel meter

Post by Tuner »

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Ngk NTK 90067 google it
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Krooser wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:14 pm I'm looking for an air/fuel meter that I can use without mounting it in a acr. And I need it to be affordable on my cheap ass budget...ideas?
Dumb question: what is acr?

I have been running the innovate wideband since last fall. Seems to work fine, but when I get the car running good, it is always indicating rich.

A lot of floks like the AEM stuff:

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products ... ller-gauge

The AEM setup requires a sensor, controller box and a gauge. The innovate is sensor and bigger gauge only. The AEM gauge is thin and could be surface mounted. The innovate gauge/controller is about 3" deep.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Nut124 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:51 pm
Krooser wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:14 pm I'm looking for an air/fuel meter that I can use without mounting it in a acr. And I need it to be affordable on my cheap ass budget...ideas?
Dumb question: what is acr?

I have been running the innovate wideband since last fall. Seems to work fine, but when I get the car running good, it is always indicating rich.

A lot of floks like the AEM stuff:

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products ... ller-gauge

The AEM setup requires a sensor, controller box and a gauge. The innovate is sensor and bigger gauge only. The AEM gauge is thin and could be surface mounted. The innovate gauge/controller is about 3" deep.
That would be car if I could type!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I built a heated Narrow Band AFR guage with 4 conductor trailer flat wire harness, w Summit/Autometer afr guage and a common NTK NB heated O2 sensor and a cigarette lighter plug.

Plugs in the cigarette lighter. 1 dash screw mounts it for testing... A NB does not tell you the AFR exactly ,in the rich zone.. But at WOT it surly will warn you that the WOT jetting is just too lean.. ( 12.5:1 wot afr is about .80 to .85 volts)
Wiring harness simply goes out the door by the rocker to the O2 sensor on the exh.

Idle and throttle cruise tuning its all you need.

About $100 to build.
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

I would avoid the narrowband O2 systems. Just about all suppliers now are offering wideband only any more.

It seems just about all use the Bosch wideband O2 sensor or identical replacement.

The sensors are threaded for mounting into the exhaust.

I suppose you could push it into the tailpipe somehow. Most of the kits would not have cables long enough for the gauge to reach the driver if the sensor was in the tail pipe.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

When the O2 sensor is in the tail pipe the readings are not accurate at idle and low rpm.. (I tried it)

For 98% of what you need to do the NB guage and sensor gets it done.. ½ the price.
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

The cheap innovate gauge is trash. It east wideband sensors.

I'm going to try the 14Point7 controller.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

A Lambda sensor system that does not sample at high speed and does not record the readings has very little value.
Better than nothing or reading plugs, but not much better.

We sell the AEM system which is far superior to the Innovate.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Anybody who blames the Innovate gauge for not functioning with a damaged sensor is the kind of person who is happy looking at an A/F number even if it is wrong.

The Innovate system has the ability to identify a defective sensor and alert the user by displaying a trouble code instead of displaying an inaccurate A/F. Not sure if any other WBO2 has that ability. Does AEM have that ability?
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

Tuner wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 am Anybody who blames the Innovate gauge for not functioning with a damaged sensor is the kind of person who is happy looking at an A/F number even if it is wrong.

The Innovate system has the ability to identify a defective sensor and alert the user by displaying a trouble code instead of displaying an inaccurate A/F. Not sure if any other WBO2 has that ability. Does AEM have that ability?
Yep, my Innovate gauge did that recently. Started throwing an error code. Replaced the 6 year old O2 sensor and back to working perfect.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Monzsta wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:52 pm The cheap innovate gauge is trash. It east wideband sensors.
Sure does
I have 4 or 5 of them
They have all eaten sensors
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

englertracing wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:06 am
Monzsta wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:52 pm The cheap innovate gauge is trash. It east wideband sensors.
Sure does
I have 4 or 5 of them
They have all eaten sensors
The Innovate gaure will detect a bad sensor and post a trouble code instead of an incorrect A/F number and you blame the meter instead of the bad sensors. Really? You just want to see a number but don't care if it is bogus or not, just as long as you get to see a number? Really?

Why don't you blame the defective sensor?
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Both units use the same Bosch 4.9 sensor, no? How can the meter "eat" the sensor??