Clutch replacement

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

eric8

Clutch replacement

Post by eric8 »

I'm doing my first ever clutch replacement on a SBC. The factory service manual is talking about "X" marks on flywheels, white dots on pressure plates and discs, etc etc and lining all this stuff up. I've gone all new though with a Ram flywheel and Luk PP and disc, and I see no type of markings on any of these parts. Am I missing something? Don't wanna screw anything up.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Clutch replacement

Post by rebelrouser »

It is kind of a general rule of working on cars, when removing parts from an assembly, always mark the components so they can be replaced in the same location they came from. Of course, when installing new parts you have no marks, so no need to worry. The idea is you will eliminate any weird vibrations, or parts misalignments that maybe possible if not returning the parts to the same location as they were assembled new. I seldom worry about it, except on parts that are machined as matched sets, like main caps, connecting rods, rear axle bearing caps, etc.
The major alignment issues you will have is using the proper alignment tool to align the clutch disc with the pilot bushing, so the transmission will slide back in. Most clutches now come with a plastic alignment tool, remember lift up slightly on the tool, when tightening the pressure plate, so the tool slides out freely, so the transmission slides in freely. Also make sure the pilot bushing or bearing is not worn. Removing and replacing the pilot can be done several ways, special slide hammer, grease and a drift, etc.

It is like another general rule, never tighten any bolt in an assembly until you have started by hand every bolt in the assembly.
eric8

Re: Clutch replacement

Post by eric8 »

Thanks for the response. I've already driven in the new pilot bushing (made sure it was a genuine GM unit with the 'oilite' design). I'll keep in mind the alignment tool tip.