Pontiac 455 build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Pontiac 455 build

Post by ProPower engines »

1980Ttops wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am Thank you for the info. Looking at them I thought 3/8's holes would leave it way thin, hadn't thought of using 5/16. Hate a leaking header. I'll bolt manifolds to them, grind a point on manifold bolt and use it as a punch to mark them. That should center them as close as possible before I put them in the drill press. So the 7k3 heads, which of my cams would work best? The ram air 4 041, the bracket master 292, the xe 284? The street master 295 may be higher in the rpm range than I want. If there's a better choice, I'm all ears, I'd rather have it right the 1st time. I'll buy another HFT, roller for pontiac is quite pricey
In this day and age of absolute crappy lifters on the market I would not even recommend any FTH lifter options.
There is a nation wide shortage of good quality cam cores and lifters to even go that route.

Now for a HR kit I have used some Howard's cams Pontiac 4-7 swap HR cams in the last year and had very good luck and good power results.
They are an 8620 steel cam used in conjunction with a polymer distributor gear from Butler perf.
Both were 455 builds for mild street use averaged about 520 HP 450Tq. not bad for a smoother running street engine with a TH-400 trans stock 2000 stall converter.

REM-FLEX header gaskets are the only way to go on Pontiac engines.
They never burn out and will seal the ugliest header flanges ever made. With your header fastener issue they will be a better option then any copper/aluminum or paper gaskets on the market.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
1980Ttops

Post by 1980Ttops »

Thank you. I hadn't heard of REM-FLEX gaskets before. When I get my heads done I have him resurface the exhaust side as well. I've been using Percys aluminum gaskets on my T/A & Grand Prix, no issues so far. The paper & embossed copper are near worthless.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

1980Ttops wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm Thank you. I hadn't heard of REM-FLEX gaskets before. When I get my heads done I have him resurface the exhaust side as well. I've been using Percys aluminum gaskets on my T/A & Grand Prix, no issues so far. The paper & embossed copper are near worthless.
Look them up on the web.
I use them exclusively as they are the best sealing gaskets I have found bar none compared to any other gasket.
They are similar to a marine exhaust manifold gasket in construction.
A graphite composition and they 1st appear thicker then regular gaskets but they are also softer and have more crush.
I have had the same set on my shop truck for 10 years and I almost never tighten the headers up.
I can hear them when they come loose and ya get a small ticky leak.
Get out the 7/16 and run the bolts in again. About 1 time every couple years and they are good as new again. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
1980Ttops

Post by 1980Ttops »

Will do. Because changing header gaskets on a D-port pontiac is a blast. I'll try them on this build. I'll leave the Percys on the others until they need replaced.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have never looked into if Rhoads makes there own basic lifter body, but in the 8 sets I have used in motors I have never had a lifter fail!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
1980Ttops

Post by 1980Ttops »

That's a good track record. Have never heard any negatives concerning their quality.
1980Ttops

Post by 1980Ttops »

Here's what I've decided on my build. Thoughts and opinions welcomed.
The short block is +.030 1971 455 with Ross pistons down .010 in the hole, stock rods w ARP 2000 bolts, stock crank turned .010 on rods & mains, M54 oil pump, stock Windage tray and oil pan. It's done and has been awaiting for me to decide how to finish engine & of course money.
7k3 heads, gasket matched & bowls blended, comp.
springs, locks & retainers. ARP head studs. Mag2555's
solution for the end exhaust ports
041 with rhodes lifters, advanced 2 degrees per
Mag2555 & comp push rods
RPM intake, gasket matched, divorced coolant crossover
800 cfm qjet with whatever is in the kit from Cliffs
Hooked super comp 1 3/4 primaries with REM-FLEX.
gaskets per Pro Power Engines advice
H.E.I. with street fighter CD ignition box & Taylor.
Thunderbolt wires. Rev limiter set at 5300
Transmission- 400th with street shift kit & 2500ish.
converter
May switch rear gears to the 3.64 instead of the 3.23's
Car should weigh roughly 3600 lbs when done, 3900 with
me in it and a tank of gas
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

You also need to add to your parts list a HD oil pump drive shaft and also in regards to the oil pump get the pick up tack welded in one or two spots just to be safe.

You also need to replace the stock bottle neck rocker studs with straigh 7/16” studs and the use poly locks to adjust the valve train.

Stock 9.130” lenght push rods may work, but they need to be up graded to stronger 5/16” type push rods,
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Remflex are the best BUT,dont bend them!They are very tender and if one breaks it goes in the trash.Tom
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Assuming the 041 cam is a copy of something factory from back in the day, it would be at the bottom of my choices. Something newer would let you have your cake and eat it too. I pulled a decent 389 out of my 65 GTO and installed a 455. The difference in cubes is a world of difference. Everyone gets hung up on the notion of a horsepower number, but the torque increase of the additional cubes. The long stroke and it's rpm limit with stock rods limits the HP number, but the massive torque is your friend.
So much to do, so little time...
1980Ttops

Post by 1980Ttops »

Always use 7/16 rocker studs when I use roller rockers & poly locks, I keep the bottleneck studs for use on heads with press in studs and stamped rockers. I order the melling oil prime rod when I get the M54 oil pumps. I keep using them, they've never failed me. As for the cam it is an original, stamped 041 on end. Have read about some great running cars with it in a 455 using 7k3-6x-4x even 46 heads (with big valves installed). I have had some awesome running 400's using the bracket master 2 cam with 12-13-16 heads. The summit 2801 has ran well also, but they run stronger with the bracket master cam. The 350 in my grand prix runs good with the 2801 cam, #17 heads, performer intake and AVS 2 carb. Appreciate all the input and suggestions, always willing to learn more and pick up new tricks.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

[1] A CD ign is a waste of money with an engine of your power level. A HEI on it's own is more than enough.

[2] The 041 cam is a poor choice....in anything.

[3] If you want your cam/lifters to last, get a set of factory lifters re-faced.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

I have had very good results with Crower Camsaver hydraulics in both Pontiacs and FEs, not very expensive, get a little more oil to the lobe, and good quality

I have run the 041 Ram Air 4 copy in a 400, and it'll run OK, but for your use it's just an old sloppy lazy lift. It'd certainly do better in a 455 than a 400, but there are so much better with a modern grind and I would likely go custom. Especially with the low compression. Do you have specs on your pistons? Seems like it's going to be tough making compression with a 96 cc chamber

Assuming you were at 9.5-9.8, which likely takes a cut on the heads, I would probably run something like an XE274H on 106 if going off the shelf. With a 270-ish head they can make 500 hp, although that is only an example, go custom and spread the centers a little and probably pick a lobe to take advantage of a piston with better valve reliefs than stock. All guessing until we saw the end result of the heads

In the end, a nice modern build, I'd even expect a stock intake to met your goals. Not tough to make <1 HP per cid with a street iron head engine. A s someone said though, I would love to see you go hyd roller, especially with a piston that could take some lift and heads with a little rubbing. Less risk, and a great selections of modern lobes.
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
1980Ttops

Post by 1980Ttops »

I have the CD ignition hanging on the pegboard, might as well use it.
Want it to be a quick street car that cruises good with a few blast down the 1/4 for fun. Had a 14 sec. 72 LeMans that was more fun to drive on the street than the 12 sec. 74 Ventura I had.
The compression should be 9.5-1 using the cometic .030 gaskets from butler. The valve reliefs are 6cc. Heads are 96cc right now, they will be resurfaced enough to make sure they are flat. That will help compression some, hopefully they don't need a lot of milling. On my 400's I try to stay around 9.5-1, not every place has decent gas. Have gotten crap gas a few times, (eastern Tennessee twice), I now keep 2 cans of Torco in the trunk of my T/A for just in case.