How Can Dual Exhaust Ports Be Made Into A Genuine Performance Option For 2 Valve Heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: How Can Dual Exhaust Ports Be Made Into A Genuine Performance Option For 2 Valve Heads?

Post by Geoff2 »

I think it was Rudge that first used twin exh ports in the 1930s.
blown265
Pro
Pro

Re: How Can Dual Exhaust Ports Be Made Into A Genuine Performance Option For 2 Valve Heads?

Post by blown265 »

For reference, here's my modified engine- the standard layout is the same.
Regards
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

modok wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 am biological organisms prefer symmetry.
===========

hmmmm. I only have one exhaust port.

Then there is this, which about half the human population under 24 actively "prefers" about 18 times per day.
https://visualsonline.cancer.gov/retrie ... format=jpg

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -about-sex
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Tuner wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm Consider the possibility of a wider power band if the pipes are different length.
I can hear my dad now: "great, now no matter what RPM the engine is at, at least on of the pipes will be the wrong length." #-o
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

nicholastanguma wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:00 pm That seems to make sense. However, what doesn't seem to make sense is that other air cooled four valve designs don't suffer any overheating problems. For instance, the Suzuki DR650 and 800, the Suzuki LS650, the Yamaha XT600 - 660, the new Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight Vtwin, and the Polopolous Porsche flat 4 are all in continuous use without blowing up or melting down. I could go on with many other examples. What's going one here?
Doesn't the HD Milwaukee Eight have coolant flowing around the exhaust ports? The Polo engine that I've seen first hand was based on a Porsche 911 engine and two valve. If you have pics of a working 4 valve Polo, I'd love to see how he does it.

The others are big singles, and even with lots of fins hanging out in midair they still have their fair share of cracked heads, usually around or between the exhaust ports. Or the heat causes the exhaust valve guides to wear out.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

CamKing wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:56 am
Tuner wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm Consider the possibility of a wider power band if the pipes are different length.
I can hear my dad now: "great, now no matter what RPM the engine is at, at least on of the pipes will be the wrong length." #-o
=D>

Classic example of "is the glass half-full or half-empty" and "you can't win for losing".

:D