Push Rod Oiling

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Push Rod Oiling

Post by frnkeore »

We all know how much oil gets to the top end of the engine and how it's flung around, with push rod oiling.

My question is, do we need both push rods, on each cylinder to carry oil. Could we get away with just using one push rod, per cyl? It seems that as much as the rockers fling the oil around, that both valves, would still get plenty of oil, less top end oil control and increase the oil available to the bearings.

Yes, I know the oil can be restricted to the lifter galleys but, does controlling the oil with the push rods, have any down side?
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Push Rod Oiling

Post by lefty o »

rocker ball/trunnion on the one not oiling might not get enough lube. one way to find out....... 8)
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'm not a fan of limiting oil to the valvetrain unless maybe it's max effort drag race and you got the budget to replace parts A lot.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

The way I have looked at it, is that since the ball and socket, aren't pressure lubed, that just splash lubing would be all you need.

If spring cooling is one of the goals, I think push rod oiling shouldn't be used, at all and external spring oiling needs to be used, it's much more efficient at cooling the springs.

Boot,
Can you give me a more detailed reason for not limiting top oiling?

One reason that I bring this up, is because I also dabble in Ford FE's and I'm building one now. In the FE world, it's all about limiting rocker arm oil. People in drag racing, have run as little as .030 feeds to the rocker shaft and a common street feed size, is .070. That oils 4 cylinders, per side.

That's pressure fed, of course but, it is just a small fraction of the top end oil flowing around, compared to the SBF & SBC. It's done in part, because the drain backs aren't the best on the FE but, it shows that you really don't need a lot of oil pumped to the top, for reliable lubrication, beyond the rocker fulcrum.

I wonder if it's ever been tried by anyone on this forum?
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Nope think I pretty much said what I wanted, I'm just not a fan of it.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

The tips of the pushrods need a constant supply of oil, especially with solid roller valvetrains where the pressure on the tips can be immense. The tips operate in boundary lubrication when on the lobe and temporarily go into mixed lubrication when off the lobe. The extreme pressure additives are most beneficial in this area in preventing contact of the tips to the lifters and rockers which can melt the tips in a hurry. Since EP additives tend to be sacrificial, you want it to be constantly renewed.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

stuff one in each rod to try it out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

I recently read an article by Billy Godbold from Comp Cams on valve springs and found an interesting quote........ "You want to keep springs cool and promote heat transfer—and the best way to do that is to immerse them in an oil bath. That also means restricting oil to the top end is now frowned upon."............this for a endurance or street/strip deal.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Oil is beneficial in an engine.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

I always thought it would be good to oil through the rocker shaft back to the pushrod tips.
No holes In the pushrod ends.
Spring sprayers from the rocker stands.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Edge orifice lifter oiling is the way to control oil flow to the topend. For sure need oil to all pushrod tips or you can burn up pushrod ends or rocker fulcrums.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks