Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Re: Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

Post by dfarr67 »

Ummmm.......stil is an excellent and informative site----> but the questions have to be competent, and a mind has to be open to other points of view. These qualifications seem to be absent here.

Maybe a better initial question would be:

What was available in the late 70's ('77) to build XXXhp sbc, period correct tricks and parts and stroke (ie- no sbc 434).
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am This site has really gone downhill. 5-10 years ago, it was nice to come to a place and ask questions, get answers and have a few guys debate some stuff but nobody was rude.

I don’t see where you clowns get off on saying it’s not period correct?

Do you people actually think they didn’t use a winters intakes, camel hump heads and Holley carbs through the 70’s??

You’ll be ignored from here on out
This is still a great site compared to others that I have been on. Sure there are people that will dis-agree with you, that's human nature. Don't get too worked up on what people say on line. Build what "you" like to what will work best for "you" and as I do, take in everyone's ideas into account when choosing what works best for an application. You want to build a period correct 70's engine? get the parts for back then and run it, it's as simple as that.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

1980RS wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 pm
ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am This site has really gone downhill. 5-10 years ago, it was nice to come to a place and ask questions, get answers and have a few guys debate some stuff but nobody was rude.

Do you people actually think they didn’t use a winters intakes, camel hump heads and Holley carbs through the 70’s??

This is still a great site compared to others that I have been on. Sure there are people that will dis-agree with you, that's human nature. Don't get too worked up on what people say on line. Build what "you" like to what will work best for "you" and as I do, take in everyone's ideas into account when choosing what works best for an application. You want to build a period correct 70's engine? get the parts for back then and run it, it's as simple as that.
I honestly can’t stand internet mouths. Fact is, in person I HIGHLY doubt they’d be as rude. I see folks who behave this way as weak. They know they can get away with it because they are anonymous. Anyway.
A 292 headed (ported) 355-383ci, with a 70 LT1 intake or service part, and a 230-ish cam, sounds like it’ll get me close. It’ll for sure be a fun car. Thanks for those who did reply constructively. I did get a few ideas 👍
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

lefty o wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:28 am
ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:17 am
dfarr67 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:47 am

No you don't see......I'm reading here: 'nostalgia', 'period correct', etc, etc....does not compute for me in 1977. Decent hp was all over by what-----1973? So if in reality this project is NOT period correct- step up your game for the SBC1.
Again you strike out. In 77 many racers were using the older stuff for power. My dad did it, my friends dads did it. That’s what was used.

Why do you people keep commenting. It’s not your F****** project!
people comment, because YOU ASKED THE F*&^%&%*%*^ question. you seem to have already had the answers, so why ask the question. you have 2 feet, shoot em both if you want. #-o #-o #-o #-o
no one has told you to give up, or even that your 77 camaro sucks. what you are being told is, you are going about it wrong to get the performance you desire. open your eyes, a legit 11 second streetable small block chevy in the late 70's is 100X rarer than a 7 second street car today. if your buddy, or his dad are telling you he had a small block chev in the late 70's that was anything other than a full tilt race car, or had a 6-71 on it and it could crack 11's, i got news for you, they are full of crap. now if you quit getting your panties in a bunch, and actually listen instead of get instantly offended, you might learn something. you have a goal of getting into the 11's with a small block chevy in your 77 camaro, but it is very highly unlikely you are going to meet your goal putting crap 60's and 70's parts in it. you can however use some better slightly more modern parts meet your goal, while 100% looking like it was rolling around in the late 70's. good thing about a cast iron head, is it looks like any other cast iron head once you slap some paint on it, and hide it under accessories. do it your way, id put money on it you might end up with a mid/low 13 second car.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 pm

I honestly can’t stand internet mouths. Fact is, in person I HIGHLY doubt they’d be as rude. I see folks who behave this way as weak. They know they can get away with it because they are anonymous. Anyway.
A 292 headed (ported) 355-383ci, with a 70 LT1 intake or service part, and a 230-ish cam, sounds like it’ll get me close. It’ll for sure be a fun car. Thanks for those who did reply constructively. I did get a few ideas 👍
remember you are the individual who started getting SH!!^y with people, not the other way around.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

lefty o wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:49 pm
ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:17 am

Again you strike out. In 77 many racers were using the older stuff for power. My dad did it, my friends dads did it. That’s what was used.

Why do you people keep commenting. It’s not your F****** project!
people comment, because YOU ASKED THE F*&^%&%*%*^ question. you seem to have already had the answers, so why ask the question. you have 2 feet, shoot em both if you want. #-o #-o #-o #-o
no one has told you to give up, or even that your 77 camaro sucks. what you are being told is, you are going about it wrong to get the performance you desire. open your eyes, a legit 11 second streetable small block chevy in the late 70's is 100X rarer than a 7 second street car today. if your buddy, or his dad are telling you he had a small block chev in the late 70's that was anything other than a full tilt race car, or had a 6-71 on it and it could crack 11's, i got news for you, they are full of crap. now if you quit getting your panties in a bunch, and actually listen instead of get instantly offended, you might learn something. you have a goal of getting into the 11's with a small block chevy in your 77 camaro, but it is very highly unlikely you are going to meet your goal putting crap 60's and 70's parts in it. you can however use some better slightly more modern parts meet your goal, while 100% looking like it was rolling around in the late 70's. good thing about a cast iron head, is it looks like any other cast iron head once you slap some paint on it, and hide it under accessories. do it your way, id put money on it you might end up with a mid/low 13 second car.
Now we’re getting somewhere.

You don’t think a fully ported set of 292’s would get me close?
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

lefty o wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm
ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 pm

remember you are the individual who started getting SH!!^y with people, not the other way around.
If I came off as rude I apologize, I am very direct lately with some responsibilities I handle as they are political and needing a lot of attention.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 pm
lefty o wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Now we’re getting somewhere.

You don’t think a fully ported set of 292’s would get me close?
Not in a #3800 car w/driver and 3.73's in street trim.
with old school stuff.
Unless its supercharged.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

GM 492 heads, ported.
Vic Jr manifold
650 Holley
10.5:1 compression
3,500 Stall
Flat Tappet cam: 248/252 @.050", .359"/.359" Lobe Lift, 108 LSA
1.6 Rockers
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
canuc

Post by canuc »

This idea that 11 sec na sb street cars didn't exist in the 70's is news to me , sure they were rare but lots of capable 12 sec sb cars . Also news that speed parts in 70's were antiquated junk . Edelbrock scorpion was a good one and Holley strip dominators were out by mid 70's and still one of the best , might of been closer to 1980 for the victor jr . Plenty of solid f/t cams available from numerous companies some still being made and still good capable choices . I think the biggest improvements would be piston , rings and cyl heads . Ported 292's or turbos would be great if you could find some but the tfs would be better and have the dh marking . I do agree the 3.73's aren't enough gear for a sb street machine , if you want a cruiser it won't go 11's (nos???) . 400's were starting to get used but not a lot don't remember the 383's till the 80's , 350's were what most had .
As far as modding 70's Camaros type lt's and z's when they came back , I know first hand of 2 that had the engines removed new and built high cr engines installed . We still had leaded pump premium here till around 80-81 .
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ClassicRob wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:53 pm I am building an engine for my 77 Z28. Most of us can agree the good old days were in fact good and missing those days has inspired me to build a period correct engine for my weekend toy. This car sees mostly the car shows, very limited track use but DOES see some stoplight to stoplight action here and there. My goals are simple, mid 11's - low 12's, drives great on the street and looks like its from the era.

There have been some great advancements in the SBC arena, which would normally make this build easy. AFR heads, roller cam, and decent carb with longtubes and voila!

But I dont want to do that. I want a FT cammed, old school headed, old school carb, period correct 70's street machine. The car is a 3600lb 77 Z28 with a 4 speed, power brakes and no a/c.

What are my best options?
I suggest you private message Tom (zums) with the 492 cylinder heads, he knows his stuff. :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

I would use a pair of GM Performance Large Port Vortec Bow Tie heads and Cam King's cam ^^. Factory Z28 or Marine intake and a 4781 850 DP.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19331472.html
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

canuc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:34 pm This idea that 11 sec na sb street cars didn't exist in the 70's is news to me , sure they were rare but lots of capable 12 sec sb cars . Also news that speed parts in 70's were antiquated junk . Edelbrock scorpion was a good one and Holley strip dominators were out by mid 70's and still one of the best , might of been closer to 1980 for the victor jr . Plenty of solid f/t cams available from numerous companies some still being made and still good capable choices . I think the biggest improvements would be piston , rings and cyl heads . Ported 292's or turbos would be great if you could find some but the tfs would be better and have the dh marking . I do agree the 3.73's aren't enough gear for a sb street machine , if you want a cruiser it won't go 11's (nos???) . 400's were starting to get used but not a lot don't remember the 383's till the 80's , 350's were what most had .
As far as modding 70's Camaros type lt's and z's when they came back , I know first hand of 2 that had the engines removed new and built high cr engines installed . We still had leaded pump premium here till around 80-81 .
292 heads are proving hard to find!
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:06 pm
canuc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:34 pm This idea that 11 sec na sb street cars didn't exist in the 70's is news to me , sure they were rare but lots of capable 12 sec sb cars . Also news that speed parts in 70's were antiquated junk . Edelbrock scorpion was a good one and Holley strip dominators were out by mid 70's and still one of the best , might of been closer to 1980 for the victor jr . Plenty of solid f/t cams available from numerous companies some still being made and still good capable choices . I think the biggest improvements would be piston , rings and cyl heads . Ported 292's or turbos would be great if you could find some but the tfs would be better and have the dh marking . I do agree the 3.73's aren't enough gear for a sb street machine , if you want a cruiser it won't go 11's (nos???) . 400's were starting to get used but not a lot don't remember the 383's till the 80's , 350's were what most had .
292 heads are proving hard to find!
And that 225cc intake port Vortech BowTie head makes a lot mowahh powahhh.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

https://www.castheads.com/cylinder-head ... ump-heads/

Maybe these guys?

A suggestion to surpass your power and et goal while remaining period correct....

Period correct blower...... :D