Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassicRob

Re: Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

Post by ClassicRob »

I’ve looked at GV overdrives before but in all honesty I would rather just do a TKO if I wanted OD.

It’s gonna stay a 4 speed, as to be honest, it’s a town car and doesn’t see enough highway. I know you want me to get more gear, and I’m listening... but I have been absorbing an insane amount of information from this site from posts going back 10-15 years almost and my head is spinning!

My current debacle is heads. I’ve been searching high and low and I have yet to land anything. I contacted Larry Meaux and spoke with him and he may have something but I’m still waiting on another reply.

I’ve found some 292’s, finally. Only $2500 for bare castings 🤦‍♂️

I found some 461x’s, tried to buy but seller won’t list shipping costs so that’s on hold.

I had a buddy dig out some old 462’s and some weird no markings heads that appear to be early World heads but we’re not sure.

I found a couple sets of 034’s but neither guy who is selling has called me back...

In the meantime I’ve been trying to talk myself into a roller and reading a lot of UD Harold and Mike posts... which now makes me feel like a kindergartner in an algebra class.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

And I still want a solid FT.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

ClassicRob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 am I’ve looked at GV overdrives before but in all honesty I would rather just do a TKO if I wanted OD.

It’s gonna stay a 4 speed, as to be honest, it’s a town car and doesn’t see enough highway. I know you want me to get more gear, and I’m listening... but I have been absorbing an insane amount of information from this site from posts going back 10-15 years almost and my head is spinning!

My current debacle is heads. I’ve been searching high and low and I have yet to land anything. I contacted Larry Meaux and spoke with him and he may have something but I’m still waiting on another reply.

I’ve found some 292’s, finally. Only $2500 for bare castings 🤦‍♂️

I found some 461x’s, tried to buy but seller won’t list shipping costs so that’s on hold.

I had a buddy dig out some old 462’s and some weird no markings heads that appear to be early World heads but we’re not sure.

I found a couple sets of 034’s but neither guy who is selling has called me back...

In the meantime I’ve been trying to talk myself into a roller and reading a lot of UD Harold and Mike posts... which now makes me feel like a kindergartner in an algebra class.

I have a buddy with a set of 461’s and a set of 462’s. I just looked at them both last night. I don’t know what he might want for them but I can ask him tomorrow if you want.

I do know two things.

1. I know that shipping is damned expensive right now. That may not matter if he has what you want. And 2. This stuff hasn’t been made for well over 45 years. It’s getting tough to find OE iron heads in most any brand now. Had issues finding some small block chrysler heads last year. Had to find some Pontiac heads this last week and that was expensive, but I found them. This stuff is getting real hard to find, and until the demand goes down this stuff will still sell for a premium.

Let me know if you want me to check on those heads.

CA
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

"Only $2500 for bare castings" These heads are not worth that..
Let Larry Meaux find you the castings he'd like to work on.
All the 461-462 stuff lacks accessory bolt holes..
And 034 castings will end up much better

A solid street roller should be a serious consideration
EG: comp XSR286R-10 You'll be glad you did.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Who needs bolt holes? But I have those too, I never pay more than 100.00 for virgin head cores, ever, and thats only if I need them. OP-I have stacks of virgin fuelie head cores hot tanked and magna fluxed of every casting number., Id be happy to bring a set to Georgetown next time I come.

461 X

I also have virgin L82 heads:

Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
VMC

Post by VMC »

ClassicRob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:38 am And I still want a solid FT.
I sent you a PM.
DeezNutz

Post by DeezNutz »

ClassicRob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:38 am And I still want a solid FT.
That will be your only regret....

I saw some 292 heads for sale on Facebook for $500 advertised as having port work done. It was in the Drag Race Results Classifieds.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

anybody have an idea where I can get boxes to ship Rob a set of heads?I'm gonna send him a set of early 80s late 70s port÷d 292 heads.I love the idea of this project and would rather have em running than collecting dust.
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

get file folder transfer boxes at office supply store, they come in various lengths-some will be too small
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

ClassicRob wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:09 pm That "3600 lb " car will weight 3800 lbs with you in it.
Which is it low 12's? or mid 11's ? Big difference in engine horsepower required @ 3800 lbs all in street trim to get there.
The fast 70's era cars were stripped down weight to bare bones race ready weight 3200 lbs max. (under 3400 lbs w/driver)
Big 4.56++++ gears.
Any of the ERA factory heads will need extensive full porting to get there . Big difference between a 68-72 Nova and a pig tank weight 77 Camaro.

Better to use modern stuff diguised to appear era correct.
3800 lbs will need 450 hp for low 12's 550 hp for mid 11's ET slips..
Again, this information is NOT WHAT I AM ASKING FOR!! I need specific well known part numbers for SBC performance stuff of the vintage era!

I know what HP level it takes to run what number... Ive been there. I am asking for details. Thanks.
STREET cars didn't run 11's at that weight with 'period correct' parts back in that era.
The best advice is to use as many cubes as you can, install some big aluminum heads and paint them the engine color.
If you want a SFT cam, get one from Jones, as he sells some really nice lifters with the lube hole in the bottom.

If you want to build a 'fantasy' double hump head, flat top 350... and expect it to push your 3700 lb 4-speed car with a super tall first gear and limited suspension to the equivalent of 11 second runs, you are indeed living in a fantasy world. But, as long as you never take it to the track, living in that bubble can be quite satisfying.

If you REALLY want the performance, it's going to take power... Cubes and cylinder heads are where it's made on the street. Either that, or build an equivalent 'super stock' type setup that is going to require a STEEP rear gear to work, and will be more problems than it's worth on the street.

I didn't read past the first couple comments on the first page, so if this has been solved since then, my apologies. lol

Good Luck
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Just read the last couple posts. That's super nice of everyone involved! Some highly worked but currently 'outdated' old style heads would be ideal for this setup. It's nice to see people coming together to put some 'nostalgia' back on the road. With your guys help, this car will probably run pretty hard! Without it, he would have likely been a frustrated man.

He might be one of the FEW guys at the car show with 'vintage' parts who has a car that actually runs as good as his nostalgic memories believe it should. lol. :)

I still highly recommend a SFT cam from Jones. He does a LOT of SFT stuff for circle track racers, and knows what it takes to make them run and live.

EDIT:
As for old iron heads, your goals will require a set of FULLY DONE 292, Bowtie etc castings with a GOOD port job... The typical 80's-90's amateur 'Ported' double humps won't get the job done. A set of the good heads on a nice 406 short block could be a potent powerplant for your heavy car.

Good Luck!
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

barnym17 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:39 am anybody have an idea where I can get boxes to ship Rob a set of heads?I'm gonna send him a set of early 80s late 70s port÷d 292 heads.I love the idea of this project and would rather have em running than collecting dust.
Just checked the shop for some cyl head boxes, they are all cores so I’m still looking for a substitute part box I can send you. S again I really appreciate the help. This is great!
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Just be careful with vintage heads. They are not as robust as new aftermarket stuff. They can be thin and problematic.
One of my best friends got a set of 292's back in the day and carefully followed all the porting instructions in the Smokey Yunik 'Power Secrets' or whatever article it was in. I looked over them, and they looked GOOD. He spent a TON of time on them. He took them to the local machine shop for a valve job, machine work, etc and they installed hardened seats.

He got them back, installed them on the engine, and it ran like a raped ape! Thing was STRONG... but started spitting water out the tail pipe. Machine shop cut just a hair too deep installing the seats and the heads were JUNK. Too many people unnecessarily risk old heads to install hardened seats. Unless you're putting a LOT of miles on them under heavy load, it's a step backwards and can kill the entire build.

Good Luck
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

n2omike wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:53 am Just be careful with vintage heads. They are not as robust as new aftermarket stuff. They can be thin and problematic.
One of my best friends got a set of 292's back in the day and carefully followed all the porting instructions in the Smokey Yunik 'Power Secrets' or whatever article it was in. I looked over them, and they looked GOOD. He spent a TON of time on them. He took them to the local machine shop for a valve job, machine work, etc and they installed hardened seats.

He got them back, installed them on the engine, and it ran like a raped ape! Thing was STRONG... but started spitting water out the tail pipe. Machine shop cut just a hair too deep installing the seats and the heads were JUNK. Too many people unnecessarily risk old heads to install hardened seats. Unless you're putting a LOT of miles on them under heavy load, it's a step backwards and can kill the entire build.

Good Luck
I am worried myself about thinner decks etc. I plan on running a nice radiator and keeping an eye on everything. I will also use water wetter as I’ve personally seen 5-10* differences with the additive. The other thing that I see commonly overlooked is the fan shroud sealing to the radiator. I figure that, with maybe a 180* thermostat should do the trick. Since this is a 70’s correct build, electric fans are prohibited so I am interested in upgraded cooling fan info.

What was the ticket for cooling fans back in the day?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Get the 7 blade GM clutch fan and the flat rib belt alt WP crank pulley set from a 3rd gen carbed 305 . or gm truck.
Be sure the chin spoiler under the rad support is there.

Note the car weight of Vortecpro's 66/67 Chevy II.l.
These were very desirable for a fast sbc street racer back in the day. Still are.