Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vortecpro
Guru
Guru
Re: Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

Post by vortecpro »

Thanks, this is what I'am looking for in Houston..............
wong 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

vortecpro wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 pm Thanks, this is what I'am looking for in Houston..............wong 1.jpg
Beauti 👍
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

vortecpro wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:40 pm Thanks, this is what I'am looking for in Houston..............wong 1.jpg
So that's how you pickup groceries. :mrgreen:
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

BLSTIC wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm Quote from another thread:
BILL-C wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:13 am In 1970 the factory Boss 302 mustangs in the TRANS AM series ran an intake manifold where 1 cylinder was connected to one barrel of the carb . Twin 1150 dominators were used. YES two 1150 dominators on a 302 cid engine.
Is this an option for a period SBC? I imagine tuning would be... fun... but individual throttle carbs generally have decent response and mid-range.. It also adds to the impression ratio when you're at a show and someone opens the bonnet to see that much carb.
I have never seen a SBC version of this intake manifold. Definitely NOT a nice street driver.
Carlquist Competition Engines
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

That may have been due to the rest of the engine rather than anything inherit to the manifold. Remember Rob here isn't limited to cubic inches and probably could use some more advanced carb prepping tricks than what people knew of in that era, plus he won't exactly be running ye olde "3/4 race cam" either.

TBH it does sound like a lot more work, but damn it would look good and sound better.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

BLSTIC wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:00 pm That may have been due to the rest of the engine rather than anything inherit to the manifold. Remember Rob here isn't limited to cubic inches and probably could use some more advanced carb prepping tricks than what people knew of in that era, plus he won't exactly be running ye olde "3/4 race cam" either.

TBH it does sound like a lot more work, but damn it would look good and sound better.
We built several of these engines for vintage road race in the last 5 years using the best modern tech . These are no longer made for a good reason. Let a bad idea die in peace.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Fair enough.

Would downdraft webbers have similar problems?
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Well webbers are a fantastic carb....
But
Even 52mm are a tad small through the venturi.

But the throttle response.......
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

vortecpro wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 pm Houston regularly sees a 30.3 baro and NEGATIVE 500-1000 below sea level. The NHRA altitude correction factor is .9405 for Denver, I've never raced in under 8000 DA Denver.
Houston is the exception, not the norm in Texas. The DA was 1800 yesterday less than 2 hours away from Houston.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

BLSTIC wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 pm Fair enough.

Would downdraft webbers have similar problems?
Webers run better but with proper stacks are way too tall to fit under hood. Then the air cleaner issues. Webers are insanely sensitive to air cleaner dimensions and what works is way too tall to fit a mustang.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

treyrags wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:35 am
vortecpro wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 pm Houston regularly sees a 30.3 baro and NEGATIVE 500-1000 below sea level. The NHRA altitude correction factor is .9405 for Denver, I've never raced in under 8000 DA Denver.
Houston is the exception, not the norm in Texas. The DA was 1800 yesterday less than 2 hours away from Houston.
I understand that, but Houston in the right time of the year is extremely fast. As the video I posted back a few comments depicts taking a mild production BBC street car that ran the best of 136 MPH in Colorado, within 5 passes in Houston in a 615 DA 30.0 baro constantly playing with the traction control with zero tuning went to 147 MPH-you have no idea whats its like racing in Denvers 23.70 baro. BTW I now moving/live in Horse Shoe Bay.

https://youtu.be/E1Wz5qZDPAk
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

I’m in Texas too. North of Austin in Georgetown. The air down here is usually great for racing but terrible for allergies!

Most of us suffer half the year or more.

I’m having no luck finding any good old parts, this idea might be dead before it even gets going. In that case, I’ll take the TFS DHC’s and a roller. 383. Winters intake which I’m about to pull the trigger.

I’ll keep looking for heads through summer.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

ClassicRob wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 am I’m in Texas too. North of Austin in Georgetown. The air down here is usually great for racing but terrible for allergies!

I’m having no luck finding any good old parts, this idea might be dead before it even gets going. In that case, I’ll take the TFS DHC’s and a roller. 383. Winters intake which I’m about to pull the trigger.

My Mom lives in Georgetown, very close to Texas Speed by the air port.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

vortecpro wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 am
ClassicRob wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 am I’m in Texas too. North of Austin in Georgetown. The air down here is usually great for racing but terrible for allergies!

My Mom lives in Georgetown, very close to Texas Speed by the air port.
I know the area well, my wife works in that area for a big distributor. Georgetown is a great place. My wife and I love it. If your ever in the area, give me a shout. There's plenty of classic car stuff around to do.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

treyrags wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:35 am
airdensityonline.com

My brother's car does not turn into a rocket going from 3000ft air to mineshaft air. A quick lookup of Houston density altitude shows humidity and temp make for lots of water grains and DA of 1000-1800ft greater than the track's 59ft ASL altitude.

I believe this thread is about a guy looking for period sbc performance in a heavy Camaro and this hijack is entertaining but not helpful. He still needs 450hp minimum to meet an 11.999ET goal.