strokersix
Pro
Pro
Re: Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

Post by strokersix »

[/quote]
better ways to box these things.
[/quote]

I've wrapped heads in corrugated cardboard. Wrap them tightly, at least a couple layers like you are wrapping a present. This way they can't slide around loose in a box because the "box" is exactly the shape of the head. May need some sort of protection for valves and studs if complete. A flat piece of something (2x4?) with holes for rocker studs perhaps. Tape it all up securely.
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

Ok I'm doing some checking to
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

ClassicRob wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:53 pm I am building an engine for my 77 Z28. Most of us can agree the good old days were in fact good and missing those days has inspired me to build a period correct engine for my weekend toy.
What are my best options?

I dont know if this is allowed to post here and i havnt read the whole thread to find out if you found snything yet, but as the thread is current and these are too, this guy has $1200 on these, perfect for your plan.. They started life as 461s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BTZ201

Post by BTZ201 »

I love the build you have planned, looks like you found a great set of heads for it.
I would love to see you stick with the solid flat tappet.
I'm a big fan of the 300 36 intake also. One thought on that choice though, will it fit u der the stock hood?
Tunnel rams were also very popular in that era!!!
Anyway, I am loving following this, keep us posted on progress....
Thanks,
Brent
BTZ201

Post by BTZ201 »

Oops, correction. I meant i also like the 300-25 intake...
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

BTZ201 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:04 pm I love the build you have planned, looks like you found a great set of heads for it.
I would love to see you stick with the solid flat tappet.
I'm a big fan of the 300 36 intake also. One thought on that choice though, will it fit u der the stock hood?
Tunnel rams were also very popular in that era!!!
Anyway, I am loving following this, keep us posted on progress....
Thanks,
Brent
It fit under the stock hood on the z28 so im assuming it should.
Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

Doesn't fit under my 79 z28 hood . Just changed it today.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Be careful of those Fireball heads. They were very good heads in their time. I used many a pair the Fireball heads, however they are and could be 40+ years old which leads to badly worn guides, seats, valve stems and valves being refaced many times.
They have very large exhaust valves, why, and still have pressed in studs (not good). what do they flow and how will they perform???
Be careful and yes I'm a skeptic.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

Racer97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm Doesn't fit under my 79 z28 hood . Just changed it today.
How does that *NOT* fit? It was a factory intake for a flat non cowl induction hood on a SBC. I have a hard time believing it wont fit. It has fit. From the factory. Its a stock Z28 intake.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

As an update: the car has been in body shop for the past 3 weeks getting it as perfect as we can get it. I still dont have any heads yet but i'm patient and looking around.

The chassis is done so that good. PTFB Gen 2 subframe connectors, G braces and good alignment were done after the car had the frame checked on a frame machine. We basically wanted to know how straight everything was before starting. So far everything is coming along great!

I did also contact Smeding Performance and enquired about getting a Z28 replica engine done that LOOKS like an old school mill but really its a roller cammed 383 with TFS DHC heads and my winters intake. 10.1 compression with a cam in the 230's on a 110. Can't say if I like that cam option or not but its the one they use on the 383 Extreme and they claim good power brakes with nice lope and 450-470hp with the same amount of TQ.

I guess what all this depends on is what kind of heads I score. If I get some promising old school iron I will go for it.

Later
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

ClassicRob wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:18 pm
Racer97 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm Doesn't fit under my 79 z28 hood . Just changed it today.
How does that *NOT* fit? It was a factory intake for a flat non cowl induction hood on a SBC. I have a hard time believing it wont fit. It has fit. From the factory. Its a stock Z28 intake.
Its because he has the wrong air cleaner.
Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

Factory for 79 ?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

No, factory for 68-72 high perf BB and SB Chevelle, Camaro, Nova, Vette. All with a high perf engine w/high rise intake manifold L88, L72, L78, LT-1 Z/28 Its the drop base that you need. Can be sourced new from Resto parts suppliers.
It is a full inch lower than the typical aftermarket bases.
The lids are the same, Its in the base
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict ... s-Only.jpg

If when using a HEI diz cut a clearance flatl at the back flange area to clear the big diz cap. The lid is fine.
If using a incorrect aftermarket Holley carb with straight leg boosters and tall choke horn, reduce or remove choke horn.
Eddy and Qjet choke horn no mod... holley downleg and chokeless HP carb no mod. Eddy carb needs banjo fitting.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Random wild-ass idea: Is the size of your "windshield wiper reservoir" regulated?

What if you injected 50/50 water meth @ a rate of 15% of your fuel? (+7.5% extra fuel as methanol) -What would that do for your fuel economy?

-Size the tank so it runs out slightly later than your fuel... Your fuel stops sound plenty long enough to top up both...

Adam
Racer97

Post by Racer97 »

I thought you guys were talking about the Holley 300 36 intake sorry for the confusion.