Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Re: Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

Post by BLSTIC »

Well in a similar note, not many people would have modified a car straight out of the lot (is that what you mean by day 2 mods?). In 1980-1985 you'd see them by the boatload with new for the time parts and tech though.

*cough* turbo *cough*.

(Never mind my turbo talk, I'm just jealous of the sheer number off cool cars and parts in the USA so I project my dreams onto others)
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

dfarr67 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:56 pm
ClassicRob wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:33 pm
dfarr67 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:05 am This particular situation is a waste of time.
Why? Because nostalgia isn't your thing?
Sorry to say, but at a car show, talking about the car, I would be much more interested in hearing about a nostalgia built old school 350-400 than an LS swap. It isn't a racecar and it doesn't need to have the latest and greatest stuff in it to be cool or be fun. Thanks for commenting.
No- from what I understand you want high dollar early 70's retro hp into a '77. Now I would understand the sand box boundaries with a '70ish Z with day 2 mods. I don't give a shit about LS.
Oh I see. Because my Z28 is a 77, and it didn't come with an LT1 350 SBC from the factory it must be a POS. Hate to tell you, but its basically the same car. True HP was down by the mid 70's thanks to liberals and the EPA but that doesn't make the car a throw away. Truth be told I have enough money to buy a 69, or a 70-73, but I don't want one at the moment. Why? I grew up with the late 70's Camaros in the driveway. It's what I, ME, the buyer wants to build, not what you, the guy who doesn't spend a dime on my bills, and truthfully probably couldn't afford them anyway, wants. You don't even have the decency or snap to keep from negatively commenting on another members post, so I can be assured your opinion doesn't merit the time it took you to write it.

Funny story, my original silver '77 Z28 get's more compliments than any other car I've ever owned, and I'm up to around 40 easy. As a matter of fact, since the 77's are harder to find, it's the only one at the local shows and it's fun to watch guys move right past a '67 to say, "HEY! I used to have one like this!" "I miss that car" etc. Truth is, it's a really nice car and I have enjoyed watching the value climb and the attention it gets!
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

BLSTIC wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:11 pm Well in a similar note, not many people would have modified a car straight out of the lot (is that what you mean by day 2 mods?). In 1980-1985 you'd see them by the boatload with new for the time parts and tech though.

*cough* turbo *cough*.

(Never mind my turbo talk, I'm just jealous of the sheer number off cool cars and parts in the USA so I project my dreams onto others)
Its cool man. I will never put a turbo on it though! It would get a big block if I did anything crazy.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Whats crazy about that? Can get 11's with 3.73's and a 4 speed with a simple ported oval port head 454 with a Trantula intake. Crane Fireball 326 cam. F326-2 #134261 9.5-10:1 cr..
Very period correct.
This combo is right out of the 70's. Its my old combo.
Easy to build. Delivers the perf. Sounds the boss.
10's with NOS→
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Kb257 454 pistons open chamber oval port PORTED 781 or 049 heads.. If you want to use a dual plane intake use the period correct Edelbrock C-396. Its a good dual plane.
You can use the stock valve size (with porting) or upgrade the intakes with a 2.12- 2.14" valve..
The angled carb plenum on the 70's era Edelbrock Trantula intake is a nostalgia conversation piece all in itself.
Both the Edelbrock and Weiand Tunnel Rams (oval port) are also very 70's era period correct for this build. More power and torque, Best nostalgic visuals. Easy street manors with
2x 600+ AFB carbs.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I fully appreciate where you're coming from, I build a lot of nostalgia type engines for classic muscle cars.
Plenty more HP is available using modern parts, but 450-500hp in a street car is plenty to have a bunch of fun & the motors look & sound "right" for the cars.

It's all about building what makes you smile & no-one else can tell you what that should be.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

I have 492s with acc bolt holes for sale
Tom
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

zums wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:52 am I have 492s with acc bolt holes for sale
Tom
I might be interested.. any work done to them? How are the decks?
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

ClassicRob wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:52 pm
ClassicRob wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:33 pm

Why? Because nostalgia isn't your thing?
Sorry to say, but at a car show, talking about the car, I would be much more interested in hearing about a nostalgia built old school 350-400 than an LS swap. It isn't a racecar and it doesn't need to have the latest and greatest stuff in it to be cool or be fun. Thanks for commenting.
No- from what I understand you want high dollar early 70's retro hp into a '77. Now I would understand the sand box boundaries with a '70ish Z with day 2 mods. I don't give a shit about LS.
Oh I see. Because my Z28 is a 77, and it didn't come with an LT1 350 SBC from the factory it must be a POS. Hate to tell you, but its basically the same car. True HP was down by the mid 70's thanks to liberals and the EPA but that doesn't make the car a throw away. Truth be told I have enough money to buy a 69, or a 70-73, but I don't want one at the moment. Why? I grew up with the late 70's Camaros in the driveway. It's what I, ME, the buyer wants to build, not what you, the guy who doesn't spend a dime on my bills, and truthfully probably couldn't afford them anyway, wants. You don't even have the decency or snap to keep from negatively commenting on another members post, so I can be assured your opinion doesn't merit the time it took you to write it.

Funny story, my original silver '77 Z28 get's more compliments than any other car I've ever owned, and I'm up to around 40 easy. As a matter of fact, since the 77's are harder to find, it's the only one at the local shows and it's fun to watch guys move right past a '67 to say, "HEY! I used to have one like this!" "I miss that car" etc. Truth is, it's a really nice car and I have enjoyed watching the value climb and the attention it gets!
No you don't see......I'm reading here: 'nostalgia', 'period correct', etc, etc....does not compute for me in 1977. Decent hp was all over by what-----1973? So if in reality this project is NOT period correct- step up your game for the SBC1.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

dfarr67 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:47 am

No you don't see......I'm reading here: 'nostalgia', 'period correct', etc, etc....does not compute for me in 1977. Decent hp was all over by what-----1973? So if in reality this project is NOT period correct- step up your game for the SBC1.
i think he is not on the same page as most, he wants a late 70's small block chevy street car that runs 11's. darned few streetable small block chev's or anything else could crack an 11 back then, big blocks, sure, and they were still the exception. truth is, a good modern cast iron head after paint and you hang all the accessories on it, no one will be able to tell it from 1977 smog heads, no one can see the nice modern grind cam inside it. one could go this way and actually have a chance of running the number, or run some old crap with a 3/4 race cam because its nostalgia. if one wants to shoot themselves in the foot, hey its their foot. fact is though, you can actually build something that will do what is wanted, and looks the part, or run 1970's junk that wouldnt do it in the 1970's, and get the same result. #-o
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

Again you strike out. In 77 many racers were using the older stuff for power. My dad did it, my friends dads did it. That’s what was used.

Why do you people keep commenting. It’s not your F****** project!
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

This site has really gone downhill. 5-10 years ago, it was nice to come to a place and ask questions, get answers and have a few guys debate some stuff but nobody was rude.

I don’t see where you clowns get off on saying it’s not period correct?

Do you people actually think they didn’t use a winters intakes, camel hump heads and Holley carbs through the 70’s??

You’ll be ignored from here on out
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:17 am

Again you strike out. In 77 many racers were using the older stuff for power. My dad did it, my friends dads did it. That’s what was used.

people comment, because YOU ASKED THE F*&^%&%*%*^ question. you seem to have already had the answers, so why ask the question. you have 2 feet, shoot em both if you want. #-o #-o #-o #-o
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

lefty o wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:28 am
ClassicRob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:17 am

people comment, because YOU ASKED THE F*&^%&%*%*^ question. you seem to have already had the answers, so why ask the question. you have 2 feet, shoot em both if you want. #-o #-o #-o #-o
Instead of telling me I’m wasting my time, you could be telling me who ports a mean set of 292’s or 462’s etc. Or the best place to find a 69, or 70 GM DZ/LT1 intake.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

By some of your replies... I guess I should just give up and start playing with my LSA car, my LS truck or even my wife’s twin turbo ‘20 WPBD tuned Ford Performance 10 speed 530hp AWD Explorer ST.

No thanks. A 12 second Fox body is more fun to drive than any of those. Except maybe kicking some millennials ass in his Subaru while I’m going to Home Depot in the Explorer.