Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassicRob

Re: Building an 11 second 70's nostalgic SBC

Post by ClassicRob »

BradH wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:43 am It's probably been mentioned above, but I haven't read every post in detail: If the car won't hook, it'll never run to its potential. I don't know what the OP has, or will have, for tires & suspension to go along w/ his new engine and stick trans, but having a kick-butt retro-style engine is only part of the package to achieving those ETs. More than one "12 second car" never got out of the 13s due to unresolved traction issues. More power simply makes the problem more obvious.
The car just got off the frame machine yesterday, the guy who checked it runs circle track for the past 30 years and does many other teams vehicles. He has 4 race cars himself. He said the frame was excellent and he also did an alignment on it to get the caster up. He used to race second gen camaros back in the day and knows the cars well.

What he is doing now is welding a set of PTFB Gen2 subframe connectors and g braces on, along with PTFB front sway bar bracket tie bar (aka wonder bar) now that we know the car is nice and straight. Shocks will be some typical stuff, nothing fancy. NO delrin or solid bushings allowed as the last car I did that drove like S###. You could feel bumps in the road you couldnt even see! No thanks!

I will put some Lakewood traction bars on it, Caltracs would be nice but I dont think they are period correct??? If they are I would most certianly prefer those.

Springs will be a comfy ride type deal, no harsh lowering BS that rides bad. Tires are staying 15's. I will be running Centerline Auto/Drag wheels with white raised letter tires for the street and something more serious for the track (on another set of the same wheels).

This car isn't a racecar. Its a time machine made to put a smile on my face and nothing else. I just need it quick enough not to get picked on by newer junk driven by a random person who isnt a racer. Any racer that beats this car, will appreciate it for what it is so they are not on my radar. Doesn't get any more simple than that.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

dont forget the 8-track! 8)
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Slapper bars, yes; CalTracs didn't come out until the late '90s, IIRC

Definitely need spare rear wheels & tires for at-the-strip days. You should be able to get away w/ some DOT-legal bias-ply (NOT radial w/ a stick car) stickies... M&H treaded or M/T ET Street bias, with the M/T being more "slick like" in performance. Better have a scatter-shield, though.

BTW, I really like the '77 Z28, even though I'm a Mopar guy. I remember the hot rod mags going all gaga over "The return of the Z28!" when they were brought back from the dead that year. They might not have been a '70 LT-1 Z car, but they were definitely a step in the right direction for Detroit to show they hadn't forgotten the muscle car market entirely, despite all the '70s EPA regs they had to work around.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

BradH wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 am Slapper bars, yes; CalTracs didn't come out until the late '90s, IIRC

Definitely need spare rear wheels & tires for at-the-strip days. You should be able to get away w/ some DOT-legal bias-ply (NOT radial w/ a stick car) stickies... M&H treaded or M/T ET Street bias, with the M/T being more "slick like" in performance. Better have a scatter-shield, though.

BTW, I really like the '77 Z28, even though I'm a Mopar guy. I remember the hot rod mags going all gaga over "The return of the Z28!" when they were brought back from the dead that year. They might not have been a '70 LT-1 Z car, but they were definitely a step in the right direction for Detroit to show they hadn't forgotten the muscle car market entirely, despite all the '70s EPA regs they had to work around.
Thank you for the kind words. Honestly, most people would be surprised at the attention this thing gets. Sitting at a light, at the pump, the shows, just cruising and people next to me will honk and give me the thumbs up. It's CONSTANT. Truth is, I didnt even buy it for that. I bought it because that was what was in the driveway when I was a kid. I bought it for me. I do get some "big bumper" comments from time to time, but then those usually come from other second gen owners who somehow think the aluminum bumpers weigh the car down or make it look bad. Truth is, it's the last non integrated bumper Camaro made and I am not fond of the plastic longer front ends. I think it adds too much to the length of the car. But those were in the driveway too when I was a young kid.
Anyway... It's cool youre an old Mopar guy. My "Holy Grail" car is a '70 Cuda. NOT a 71. A 70! I'll take one with a 340 and a 4 speed and be perfectly happy. I'll take a Challenger too if I have to settle some. Either way, this '77 Camaro is personal to me and it wont be leaving.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Sorry, you can't have this '73 Chally... even w/ Mopar's hideous attempt at the 5 MPH bumpers. As it sat in this pic, it ran 10.5s in good air just like you see it driven to the track... more than 10 years ago, unfortunately. And, yes, those are CalTracs peaking out from under the rear of the car.

Mopig_RF.jpg

Can't claim it had the "nostalgia" look when you raised the hood, either.

BG-Gold-Claw-1.425x1.75.png.png

When (If??? :shock: ) it runs under its own power again, it will look "a bit" different and should run "a bit" faster. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

lefty o wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:15 am dont forget the 8-track! 8)
Thats one area I will make an exception. Right now its got a RetroSounds Harmosa with the Long Beach 4 motor, FLAC, Bluetooth, etc. I am an audiophile as music is my other love. I don't know if youre up to date on that stuff but it's got all Audiofrog speakers in the car with a AD Designs 6 channel amp. The front sound stage is 2 GS42's in the center location mounted in a custom mount. The rear are GS692's. You can feel the snare drum in your chest and the 10" subwoofer in the back (Audiofrog) is precise and sounds great without being too boomy. Its LOUD and the clarity with detail is amazing. Best $3000.00 on a stereo Ive ever spent. When the guy and I designed the stereo, we did it to show other classic car owners you don't have to cut panels and put speakers in places they shouldn't be to get great sound. (he owns a car audio shop nearby) When I demo it, whoever gets the demo usually looks at me with eyes as big as silver dollars! It sounds killer!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Sound system... what a concept. My AM/FM radio died one day while I was sitting in traffic driving to the track for a Friday night street car event.

My "stereo's" specs are:
- left channel has 226 c.i. and 300+ HP
- right channel has 226 c.i. and 300+ HP

Even with a full 3" high-flow exhaust, when going through the traps at almost 7000 RPM, I'm not sure I could hear Metallica if they were playing live behind my rollbar.
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

All the cars I build have both soundtracks. When on the highway for a while, or just doing a cruise, I dont mind a good stereo.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Mine evolved into more of a track car w/ license plates and much less of a cruiser, hence the sound system became less of a priority. But I hear ya' (pun intended).
ClassicRob

Post by ClassicRob »

Found some stock NOS 034's... Waiting on some pics. Not sure if they are 1's or 2's.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

BradH wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am Sorry, you can't have this '73 Chally... even w/ Mopar's hideous attempt at the 5 MPH bumpers. As it sat in this pic, it ran 10.5s in good air just like you see it driven to the track... more than 10 years ago, unfortunately. And, yes, those are CalTracs peaking out from under the rear of the car.

Mopig_RF.jpg

Can't claim it had the "nostalgia" look when you raised the hood, either.

BG-Gold-Claw-1.425x1.75.png.png

When (If??? :shock: ) it runs under its own power again, it will look "a bit" different and should run "a bit" faster. 8)
I always though the pinion snubber was the hot ticket for Mopar leaf spring cars. Seems thing have changed a little since I sold my Challenger.
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve K »

This is my period correct 79 Camaro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

ClassicRob wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:06 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 am Best to weight this car.. Its over 3600# (no A/C)
It won't get in the 11's with the planned sbc and 3.73's.
Mid 12's best with that. If you can get mid 12's out of it at #3800 with 3.73s / 4 speed trans (355 or 383 build) you have done a respectable job.
If you will be using a SFT camshaft, yes get the EDM lifters.
Help me find some heads. I honestly didnt think finding some vintage iron heads when we are spoiled with aluminum these days would be this difficult. I bet most of them are being stored or being used as a display in a garage, just sitting there.

If anyone thinks they are going to save a build for the electricpocolypse, you gotta long way to go! Sell them to someone who will use them for the right reasons.
They are out there you just have to look.:)

Check here:https://www.car-part.com/

If you want some vintage heads there are still lots of Salvage dealers with various SBC heads in stock

Good list of all(?) various SBC cylinder heads and the years produced here:

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stor ... r-head-id/
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

ClassicRob wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm Found some stock NOS 034's... Waiting on some pics. Not sure if they are 1's or 2's.
Find someone who knows how to port, they are glorified double bumps out of the box.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you were to install a GearVendors OVERDRIVE behind your 4 speed transmission you then can have a 4.88:1 axle gear ratio and a 3.80:1 Overdrive Ratio.
Now you can "cruise" in OD with 4.88 gears.
The OD ratio is .78:1 eg: 4.88 (gears) X .78 (OD ratio) equals 3.80:1

You also gain the benefit of "gear splitting"
as you drive. EG: First/first Over , Second/second Over , Third/third Over , Forth/forthOver
Google GearVendors.