Block filler and antifreeze ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Monza355
Expert
Expert
Block filler and antifreeze ?

Post by Monza355 »

I have a sbc block that’s appropriate half filled. I used rokblock filler in the engine. Can i use antifreeze in the engine or will that be problematic?

Thanks.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Block filler and antifreeze ?

Post by GuysMonteSS »

I have been using antifreeze in my half filled bbc for several years with no issues.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Did it for years. I used Hard Block. No issues with the coolant. It will warm up and cool down a lot slower, plus you will see elevated oil temperatures. You will want to err on the side of a slightly heavier oil and install an oil cooler if you plan to drive it more than 10-15 miles at a time.
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

Ok that’s great to hear. I had read it somewhere that the filler might come loose and tear up with use of antifreeze. This engine block however is maybe only 1/3 filled. I basically filled it for insurance when drilling for splayed main caps and stroke clearancing.

I will run a 7 or 8 qt oil pan on it and keep an eye on the oil temperature as well. And at what tempered should a cooler be considered?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Doubtful that short fill will change oil temperatures much, but over about 220F would make me consider a cooler.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

I cant comment on whether or not the oil runs any hotter or not as I do not have an oil temp gauge.
The water temp however has not changed at all.
But I have run this engine for hours at a time on long highway trips and have never noticed any detrimental effects.
The oil has never been discoloured,no funny smells,etc..
So as far as I can tell,all is good with the fill.
Mine is app a 1/4 fill to just below the frost plugs.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.