Quick Fuel SS750AN Tuning

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Quick Fuel SS750AN Tuning

Post by Tuner »

I don't remember, or if you said, what size the idle air bleed is. I would try a smaller idle air bleed. You may need to go back up a size on the MJ. Maybe the float level is too low. What is the fuel pressure?

Float level and IAB are simple to change without taking anything apart (bowl off) so playing with them first will give a clue at least.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Fuel pressure is 6.5 psi. Both floats are right at the mark halfway up the sight glass. IABs are 71s. I'll play around with the primary side float level and see what it does. Thanks again.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Make a sharpie mark at the height of the uppermost E-hole on the outside of metering block and set the float level to that or very slightly above it ~~1/16" or so.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Well I figured it was time to check in and make a confession. I threw in the towel and took the easy way out and just replaced the carb. Y'all don't hate on me too much. It was a good learning experience with the Quick Fuel and I appreciate everyone's help, but I was just in over my head with the emulsion bleed tuning.
So I purchased Edelbrock's tried and true AVS2 800. Threw it on and with a metering rod and step up spring changeout she's running like a dream. Just gotta lean out the secondary side a bit. Which brings me to my one question with Carter style AVS carbs....what's up with the jet split on these being square? There are .104 jets front and rear, but it seems like when you throw in the fact there's a metering rod's power tip in the primary jet, the fuel distribution would be anything but "square?" What am I missing?
20210517_133620.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

eric8 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:11 pm Well I figured it was time to check in and make a confession. I threw in the towel and took the easy way out and just replaced the carb. Y'all don't hate on me too much. It was a good learning experience with the Quick Fuel and I appreciate everyone's help, but I was just in over my head with the emulsion bleed tuning.
So I purchased Edelbrock's tried and true AVS2 800. Threw it on and with a metering rod and step up spring changeout she's running like a dream. Just gotta lean out the secondary side a bit. Which brings me to my one question with Carter style AVS carbs....what's up with the jet split on these being square? There are .104 jets front and rear, but it seems like when you throw in the fact there's a metering rod's power tip in the primary jet, the fuel distribution would be anything but "square?" What am I missing?

20210517_133620.jpg
I know how you feel, that's why my QF carbs sit on the shelf. Got tired of messing with them, making a good carb should not be that much work. Glad to see the AVS carb worked out well for you.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Eric,
I think you will find the secondary venturi diam is larger, also smaller booster. So more air flow area, hence larger jets.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Wow the holley was a challenge and the Ebroc. is working well out of the box.So just throw that QF in my garbage can.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

1972ho wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:27 am Wow the holley was a challenge and the Ebroc. is working well out of the box.So just throw that QF in my garbage can.
It's almost brand new and I'd make someone a decent deal on it. Right now it's just a $740 paper weight.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Sorry I didn't read every page...

Did you run the car without the air cleaner and compare O2s?

Edelbrock does work well on most mild engines...
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

1972ho wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:27 am Wow the holley was a challenge and the Ebroc. is working well out of the box.So just throw that QF in my garbage can.
Maybe he just got tired of messing with the QF stuff. Los of people have had parts over time that for whatever reason just don't seem to work out well. I have had Eddy carbs that had troubles also and rather than spending a bunch of time on them it is a lot easier drop something else on the car. Demons were the same way, a lot of people just got tired of working on them as a lot of those carbs out of the box just sucked and not everyone is a carb expert.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

1980RS wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:08 am
Maybe he just got tired of messing with the QF stuff. Los of people have had parts over time that for whatever reason just don't seem to work out well. I have had Eddy carbs that had troubles also and rather than spending a bunch of time on them it is a lot easier drop something else on the car. Demons were the same way, a lot of people just got tired of working on them as a lot of those carbs out of the box just sucked and not everyone is a carb expert.
Honestly I did just get tired. And it wasn't from lack of trying. Tired of being nickle and dimed to death trying to tune it as well. I think I added up almost $200 extra in gaskets, power valves, air bleeds, jets, and IFR's and I still wasn't happy. Call me a quitter but I take the same approach as I do with the stock market. I know when it's time to cut the losses and move on.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

There are always people that buy a new carb that are not happy with it.. This is why I have always gotten all my carbs used. Holleys Eddys and QJets and learned to avoid some of the speciality version carbs.. I'd rather custom build my own using a old donor carb + upgrade components.
Good to hear that the Edelbrock 800 AVS2 carb is now working well for you on your combo.
Going to try one of these out one day.
eric8

Post by eric8 »

Forgot to mention that included with the sale will be a replacement decal to fix the one installed by an expert, factory trained technician during the assembly and "wet flow calibration" process. :?
20210312_204228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Well I guess that decal should have been a warning sign about your carb.it must been one of those Monday morning carb builds are a late Friday build.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

eric8 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:36 pm Forgot to mention that included with the sale will be a replacement decal to fix the one installed by an expert, factory trained technician during the assembly and "wet flow calibration" process. :?

20210312_204228.jpg
Well I am not paying over $750 bucks for that carb with a decal like that, lol. I bet QF might tell you to flip the main body over then it would run fine. I won't repeat what I told one of QF's tech one day about their carbs after I tried to fix my friends 650 E-85 QF with a hole drilled in the side of the booster that they drilled. Was going to cost a lot to repair it so he bought something else.