Titanium Retainer Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Titanium Retainer Question

Post by BOOT »

So I finally decided to join the Ti club and picked up some retainers last winter. Mocking things up the other day I noticed that the Ti retainer doesn't spin nice and smoothly on the Chamfered spring like a tool steel one I had laying there. The Ti retainer fits a bit looser so I know it's not that and I don't see/feel anything odd/wrong with it but it feels like it grabs kinda.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Momus
Pro
Pro
Re: Titanium Retainer Question

Post by Momus »

Are the retainers coated or raw?

Raw, as machined titanium is unsuitable for retainers regardless of what the seller says.

They're a downgrade most of the time if you are replacing tool steel.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'm well aware of the info that's out there and expected someone to try n scare me off from their use, as is common with post about them. BUT there are those who have posted on other forums 30-40k w/o issue on mild combo's.

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Inexpensive Ti is considerably softer than steel and will often times he grabbier (if that is even a word) than steel. What you will notice is that with stable valve train the spring will make indentations in the retainer. On the flip side if unstable it will start to tear up the surface contacting the spring. On a side note I would not use a spring with the dampener on a to retainer. The dampener will cut into the ti. Just my thoughts and experience. Others may differ.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

BOOT wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:57 pm I'm well aware of the info that's out there and expected someone to try n scare me off from their use, as is common with post about them. BUT there are those who have posted on other forums 30-40k w/o issue on mild combo's.
You are making the case against the Ti. retainers.

30 to 40 k on a 'mild combo' sounds like something that wore out extremely quickly and while doing so filled the engine with a metallic paste.

Good steel, let alone tool steel, retainers never wear or life out in 'mild combos'.

Ti. has a high friction value and galls very easily when raw. Find out from your supplier what grade material and if they have bar test certificates.

There is a lot of reject grade cheap Chow and Russian Ti floating around.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

FC-Pilot wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:18 pm Inexpensive Ti is considerably softer than steel and will often times he grabbier (if that is even a word) than steel. What you will notice is that with stable valve train the spring will make indentations in the retainer. On the flip side if unstable it will start to tear up the surface contacting the spring. On a side note I would not use a spring with the dampener on a to retainer. The dampener will cut into the ti. Just my thoughts and experience. Others may differ.

Paul
I rem reading some old post where they polished the top ends of springs, prob was for Ti retainers. I'll give it a shot.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Momus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:59 am You are making the case against the Ti. retainers.
For you maybe