L98 TPI 350 endurance race combination

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BadSS
Re: L98 TPI 350 endurance race combination

Post by BadSS »

Couple questions.

Is turbo charging out of question? If not, it appears by far the way to go based on their point system.

What would be your typical cruising MPH? (Transmission, rear gear, and intake related)

Other initial comments and questions below.

Some of the 89 350 TPIs are reported to have come with a 207/213 – 117 spread .415/.430 lift hydraulic roller. This cam (GM 10066049) would work fairly well with a TPI or FIRST, especially turbocharged. Even if the 89 350 TPI engine you might get doesn’t have it, it supposedly came in them and would be worth the “free” points.

Automatic Transmission: deduct 75 pts
(I think I’d run a 6L80e w/custom lock up converter – no need for gears if F-body and common 2.73s – Note, a short runner intake is more efficient under 2500rpm)

Camshaft - Aftermarket reground or re-profiled OE camshaft: 50 pts
(How do they check this? If going with 89 350 TPI, see comment on cam above)

Cylinder head(s), non-OE and/or non-matching to engine claimed – 100 pts
(Ported stock heads can go around 240cfm – will work well with FIRST TPI. Can you put bigger valves in the stock heads? If so you can get more than 240cfm)

Exhaust header: 25 pts
(Might get away with ported cast iron with TPI – headers still probably worth the points though)

Intake Manifold: 25 pts
(Does this include an intake specific throttle body? Or, if T/B different than stock still 25 pts? FIRST TPI & 73mm T/B is worth this over ported (non-welded) TPI w/stock runners if just 25pts)

Oil pan, non-OE: 25 pts
(Could you run a factory looking “cheater” oil controlled pan?)

Pulleys, engine accessory, non-OE one: 5 pts
(Underdrive crank pulley probably worth this)

Throttle Body: 25 pts
(Is this included with an intake with a specific throttle body? Or if different than stock still 25 pts?)

Turbochargers and superchargers, non-OE: 100 pts
Parts included with non-OE turbocharger/supercharger installations are: exhaust/intake manifold, pressure tubing, cooling lines, oil lines, and boost control systems.
(By far the most bang per points – more power than heads, intake, and cam – lol. I would think an 89 350 TPI with ported stock heads and intercooled turbo would be engine of choice if an f-body? Especially if you could claim a FIRST as part of the turbo “package”)

Turbocharger and supercharger intercoolers, non-OE: 25 pts
(Worth it if going boosted)

Valve train, non-OE: 50 pts
(Would not need this with hydraulic roller 89 350 TPI. 11801C-16 Crane long slot Nitro-Carb 1.5 Rocker Arms in place of stock?)
CastIron
Re: L98 TPI 350 endurance race combination

Post by CastIron »

BadSS wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 pm Couple questions.

Is turbo charging out of question? If not, it appears by far the way to go based on their point system.
I don't have any experience with turbos. And from brief discussions with those that do I don't think it is a great match for endurance racing. Low boost would be easier, and the power I'm looking for wouldn't require a lot of boost, but there are still the heat and fuel burn issues. As I understand one can generally figure on 10% more fuel for a turbo versus NA at the same power level.
What would be your typical cruising MPH? (Transmission, rear gear, and intake related)
It's for endurance racing so there is no cruising. I'm figuring on 2.73's at this point with a M22 trans. With the long straights the 2.73's will keep the rpm down and the TPI torque will get it off the corners is the idea. Trying to extend fuel stops versus building a 7000 rpm engine that wants to live above 5 grand.
Other initial comments and questions below.

Some of the 89 350 TPIs are reported to have come with a 207/213 – 117 spread .415/.430 lift hydraulic roller. This cam (GM 10066049) would work fairly well with a TPI or FIRST, especially turbocharged. Even if the 89 350 TPI engine you might get doesn’t have it, it supposedly came in them and would be worth the “free” points.
Could be an option but doubtful to make the power I am looking for.
Automatic Transmission: deduct 75 pts
(I think I’d run a 6L80e w/custom lock up converter – no need for gears if F-body and common 2.73s – Note, a short runner intake is more efficient under 2500rpm)
I've actually done some research on this. The 6L80E's need a Gen4 LS ecu to talk to. They are not functional as a standalone and I'm not an electronics whiz to deal with the one expensive option available. Plug and play is workable. Beyond that gets dicey.
Camshaft - Aftermarket reground or re-profiled OE camshaft: 50 pts
(How do they check this? If going with 89 350 TPI, see comment on cam above)
They haven't at this point. I don't know they will ever be able to due to the variety of cars, mostly imports, in this series. Pretty much the honor system but someone will bitch if a car sounds obviously non stock while making 100hp more. Kinda hard to play dumb on that.
Cylinder head(s), non-OE and/or non-matching to engine claimed – 100 pts
(Ported stock heads can go around 240cfm – will work well with FIRST TPI. Can you put bigger valves in the stock heads? If so you can get more than 240cfm)
Valves should be claimed as part of "valvetrain", but is not really possible to tech. No one is in favor of tearing down engines as we race for trophies and nothing else.
Exhaust header: 25 pts
(Might get away with ported cast iron with TPI – headers still probably worth the points though)
I'm figuring on Schoenfeld 180 crossovers that I already have.
Intake Manifold: 25 pts
(Does this include an intake specific throttle body? Or, if T/B different than stock still 25 pts? FIRST TPI & 73mm T/B is worth this over ported (non-welded) TPI w/stock runners if just 25pts)
The T/B is whatever comes on the engine in the car. So swapping in the TPI engine would include the stock TPI T/B.
Oil pan, non-OE: 25 pts
(Could you run a factory looking “cheater” oil controlled pan?)
Yes, one can add baffles to the oil pan. Supposed to claim materials but no one does.
Pulleys, engine accessory, non-OE one: 5 pts
(Underdrive crank pulley probably worth this)
Full serpentine included with the TPI swap engine. I agree on the under drive crank pulley as it won't be sitting around idling much.
Throttle Body: 25 pts
(Is this included with an intake with a specific throttle body? Or if different than stock still 25 pts?)
See above.
Turbochargers and superchargers, non-OE: 100 pts
Parts included with non-OE turbocharger/supercharger installations are: exhaust/intake manifold, pressure tubing, cooling lines, oil lines, and boost control systems.
(By far the most bang per points – more power than heads, intake, and cam – lol. I would think an 89 350 TPI with ported stock heads and intercooled turbo would be engine of choice if an f-body? Especially if you could claim a FIRST as part of the turbo “package”)
I got a clarification on the intake/exhaust manifolds as I had the same thought. Free intake is only for superchargers. Free exhaust is for turbos. Whoever wrote the rules didn't take into account that a centrifugal S/C can use a normal intake.
Turbocharger and supercharger intercoolers, non-OE: 25 pts
(Worth it if going boosted)
Help reliability beyond increasing power? I know little about boost and as mentioned above it would have to be pretty low.
Valve train, non-OE: 50 pts
(Would not need this with hydraulic roller 89 350 TPI. 11801C-16 Crane long slot Nitro-Carb 1.5 Rocker Arms in place of stock?)
Those look stock to me so would skate through. Seem to be a bit hard to find however with a quick google search.

Thanks for the ideas. Some things to kick around.