General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gunt
Expert
Expert
Re: Question for those who build and sell engines

Post by gunt »

few things here

i once gave a customer 9k of warretny , as [ and i have it in writing , full instructions to not wait for parts as others reuse them ] con rods bolts after engine failure after a muppet fitted con rod bearings , but i knew better and should have waited , so i would learn the lesson i gave the warrenty , shouldn't have of as he did me on his sons car 600euro , so there's no respect for doing the righteous thing either . [ no good dead and all that ]

if any of yee do go to court , i do a lot of expert witness , main dealers mainly , big blown up pictures and as basic as you can make it .

i have no idea how yee sell engines with out fitting them , it must be hell , i couldn't do it , especially with the amount of work i have to repair from other workshops [ simple jobs ]

all i can say is the minute a job goes bad take charge of the hole thing get them drop car in , and do it all so you can see , identify the other issues , say u need to see the hole thing in operation ,
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

and unlike a lot i give full warranty on my work if built my way using my guys , [ makes it far slower ] of fxxx off , in a display room i have all the machinest work from around the country , with their numbers under each item on a wall , when they say such and such can do it faster cheaper , i point to the wall , and say go ahead
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

There was 2 pages of details for the shop to follow but again the owner of the boat was trying to get insurance to cover a previously diagnosed issue for free by using 2 shops against a 3rd unknown guy.

While its the same old deal name every one in your law suit and then sit and wait. This happens every day in both countries where people just refuse to accept the fact they were wrong in their judgement and sue places.

There was an element of fraud on the boat owners part and he paid the price for it in the long run.
But my defense was to notify the shop on what needed to be replaced or confirmed and that they were responsible for that part and the boat owner would have to deal with it. He just pointed the fingers at all that had a hand in it hoping for a settlement which is standard legal practice blame everyone and the guy that don't have the funds for legal help ends up paying in the end in most cases.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

ProPower engines wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:26 am There was 2 pages of details for the shop to follow but again the owner of the boat was trying to get insurance to cover a previously diagnosed issue for free by using 2 shops against a 3rd unknown guy.

While its the same old deal name every one in your law suit and then sit and wait. This happens every day in both countries where people just refuse to accept the fact they were wrong in their judgement and sue places.

There was an element of fraud on the boat owners part and he paid the price for it in the long run.
But my defense was to notify the shop on what needed to be replaced or confirmed and that they were responsible for that part and the boat owner would have to deal with it. He just pointed the fingers at all that had a hand in it hoping for a settlement which is standard legal practice blame everyone and the guy that don't have the funds for legal help ends up paying in the end in most cases.
YEP justice is expensive, how much can you afford.
Crew Chief

Post by Crew Chief »

Many years ago my Dad had a shop, we did Heavy Equipment Repairs, Heavy Truck Repairs, Auto Repairs and Small Engines. My Dad was a Certified Auto Technician and Certified Heavy Equipment Technician. I am a Certified Technician for Heavy Equipment, Truck & Coach, Automotive and Marine & Small Powered Equipment. Both of my brothers are certified techs as well. In Ontario Canada we have to serve an Apprenticeship, 3 terms of 8 weeks in Trade school, then write a Certification Exam to become a Certified Technician in each Trade area. We built many engines, we were all involved in asphalt oval track racing, so there was a lot of experience. So there is a little background information.
A fellow my Dad knew had a son who was looking for a mild performance engine for his Chevy truck. I told him I had a freshly rebuilt 327 Chevy that was out of a wrecked Z28 Camaro. It was the 11.25:1 compression engine, with the factory aluminum intake, 327/330 HP, the 11:1 heads, I put a little better camshaft in it, I forget the exact cam but it was a little lumpy.....in short a nice little engine. I let him know that he should get a higher stall torque convertor and he may not have much vacuum for his power brakes. He said that would be later because he didn't have the extra cash. I offered to install the engine for him, he said no, my Buddy and I will do it. I told him when he got it installed to give me a call and I would come and drop the distributor in, time it and get it running for him, NO CHARGE. That was it, didn't hear from him for a couple of months. Then out of the blue I get a phone call from the father screaming at me that I ripped off his son, that engine is junk, its no good, no oil pressure, making noises. He said it was on the Tow Truck headed for our shop and we didn't fix it for free he was going to sue us! Of course when It got there I fired it up, I noticed the started was really dragging on the flexplate....clue #1. Very low oil PSI, making noises. So I dropped the oil out of it and cut the filter apart...LOTS of metal filings!!! So, out with the engine...during this time the father came into the shop irate about us ripping off his son, he thought we were friends and on and on and on and that if I didn't come good for it, he was going to sue! When I disconnected the flexplate from the torque convertor it was loaded as we say. It popped apart, it was pulled into place with the bolts. thus the dragging starter. I put the engine on the stand and pulled the oil pan.....the thrust bearing was completely wore off and was wearing into the block? The wrong torque convertor was used!! It preloaded the crank so that there was NO endplay. Long story short, the son and buddy found a high stall T/C and put it in, it was the wrong one, they pulled it into place with the bolts and turned it loose! I made the call to the father to drop by the shop I wanted to talk to him about the engine. I explained what happened, showed him that the T/C didn't fit into the pilot end of the crank, had the proper one there to show and compare and that this was NO FAULT OF ME OR THE ENGINE. He calmed right down and apologized for his behaviour and that he would speak with his son. About a week later they dropped into the shop to discuss the next steps. My first thoughts were, take it out of here, I'm done with you? Then came the ....how can we fix it question? I said well the block is done, the crank is done, there was so much debris go through the engine the pistons are done....pretty much the short block. Their response was do whatever you have to, put another engine it, and whatever proper parts it will need. I did what he asked for, gave him the bill and said when it is paid in full you can take the truck. Months later the son came in to see me and said he was very happy with the engine and that he "thought" he knew more than he did and that is what cost him. He had bought a little street rod and wanted another engine built....my response. I'm too busy right now, can't do it. Since then I only do my own engines or engines that were done through the company. My Dad had insurance that would cover any issues that would come up with company repairs. I get requests, but I stick to my word....only my own engines. Just my experience for you.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

my engine room is on camera , but all i can say i if there is a problem , take it in with them present and rip it together , if the fault is yours hold your hands up if not its very clear , then charge for the time if its not your baby ,

also say nothing when ripping until fully disassembeld and parts washed , dosent matter what you see at the time , wait till the end
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

I have an experience that may shed some light on the courts and their way of dealing with the car issues.
I had a ’71 Charger R/T I placed on eBay.
Buyer is out of state.
Buyer wanted the auction stopped as he was high bidder and we agreed. He did not have access to PayPal and I said I would not stop the auction without $2500 non-refundable deposit.
My buddy offered to let Buyer place $2500 on his credit card thru friends HVAC company.
Buyer wired the balance Monday morning, transporter arrived two-days later, end of story?
Two months go buy and my buddy says I owe him $2500 as Buyer made a charge back as he did not know of XYZ HVAC in Arizona; had no dealings so charge back. Of course I did not get that in writing from the Buyer, this was all on the phone. My stupid....
So I sue in small claims court Buyer $2500.
Judge does not handle the case; has an appointee (intern?) handle it. Court allows phone conference with Buyer.
Buyer says “ the Arizona car I bought was so rusted out I had to strip the paint and R/T graphics, re-paint and re-apply graphics along with all the rust repair and it cost me $5,000”
To that I responded “a simple paint job would be a minimum of $5,000 and there’s no way there was rust on the car and even if so, no labor allotment for rust repairs”
Intern says, “I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS SO I WILL JUST SPLIT THE CLAIM IN HALF, $1,250 AWARDED TO PLAINTIFF”
Of course I lined the guy and we all know that went no where.
BUT MY POINT....This is what you guys are up against!
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams