95 RON standardized as new high octane?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Re: 95 RON standardized as new high octane?

Post by David Redszus »

One gallon of Ethanol only has 2/3 the amount of BTU as gasoline. It contains less heat, so a gallon of it will NOT drive a car as far as a gallon on gasoline. There is no way around it. Period. There is no way to make up that missing 33% of heat energy.
You are correct. I have never stated otherwise.
You can also reply to my last post, as it seems you missed it.
No, I did not miss it but I did not think it needed a reply.
I'd rather get all of my oxygen for free from the atmosphere. I don't want to pay for a bunch of it in my fuel purchase. That is why each gallon of alcohol is lacking so much in BTU... It contains lots of its own oxygen. That's also why it needs to run as such a 'rich' AFR to achieve a similar lambda.
You are correct; never said otherwise.
But if you examine an alcohol such as ethanol, using a blend of 10% actually puts very little oxygen into your engine.
Other higher alcohols such as propanol, butanol, and isopropyl, that contain lower amount of oxygen, are also used in oxygenated fuels. But all we ever hear about is ethanol.
YOU can see this. YOU are smarter than this.
What is that supposed to mean? Leave the snarky comments in the outhouse. If you disagree with something I have written, simply tell us what that is and we can have an intelligent technical discussion.
PLUS you think it's a good idea to force everyone to buy premium fuel?
Where did I ever indicate it would
be a good idea to force everyone to buy premium fuel. I was merely commenting on the positions taken by the auto makers and fuel companies. I have no dog in the fight.
You know they will price gouge that idea, even though it only costs pennies more per gallon to produce.
Perhaps you are beyond your area of expertise. Petroleum economics is much more complicated than one might think.
Where did you ever get the idea it only costs pennies more to produce higher octane fuels? That is incorrect.
IF they could keep themselves from price gouging it, and only make it cost a dime more, I'd be all for it... but like THAT is going to happen.
If you can find a way to keep government out of fuel economics, prices could be quite reasonable, as they were just a few months ago.

If you think oil companies are price gouging, talk to the guy that owns the local gas station. He makes more money from
the C store than by selling gas. And he ain't makin much.

Better yet, if you really believe what you say, go buy some oil company stocks and get rich. :lol: