Fuel Pressure Regulators

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
Fuel Pressure Regulators

Post by vht »

I have a 427 BBC, 850 carb, around 650 HP, I need a good free flowing regulator for it. I have one of the old Holley type on it now but they are restrictive and was wanting to update. How are the Nitrous Express regulators? This is a street car, may make a pass or two down the track, right now I have a Black Carter 4601HP electric pump along with a 80 GPH manual on it.
Super_Stock

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulators

Post by Super_Stock »

You can get a regulator that looks like the Holley one you have but the internal passages and ball seat are larger. If you go to a "fuel return" type system, then that's a lot easier on your fuel pump.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I have a bunch of regulators sitting on the shelf. The best is the Aeromotive, BG 2 and 4 port (if yo can get parts) Mallory and then the Holley ones. The Areomotive regulators are the best against fuel creep for me. the rest are all in a box in the basement as back ups.
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

I have used the larger Holley regulator with great results part# 12-704 and the smaller one # 12-803 works great for fuel supply for a nitrous system. However in a street car it would be hard to beat a decent bypass regulator. Less strain on the pump for longer life and less noise and a happier system overall.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

The id of the internal poppet valve is what determines how restrictive the regulator is. Most manufacturers don't advertise or list it, you have to ask them. The Holley 12-704 that Monza mentioned is one of the larger ones and works well if you are using a dead head type. The Aeromotive13301 bypass type regulator has a nice size poppet valve. I like them to be at least 3/8" id.
vht

Post by vht »

I'm going to run the nitrous express one for now, dead head, I have a 1/2 inch feed line. I'll run a 1/2 inch return and switch to the aeromotive sometime in the near future. Getting it on the road is first on the list. Thanks for the replies.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Well, when I built my 1/2 inch return line system with a bypass reg, I just bought a cheap house brand one, because after having a look at a few I realized that they pretty much all work the same. Just make sure the valve inside is large enough.