Aluminum Tapered Ring Compresser & Napier Second Rings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

C.A.R.E.
Aluminum Tapered Ring Compresser & Napier Second Rings

Post by C.A.R.E. »

Just installed the pistons on a freshen up and noticed while cleaning, the black anodizing on my tapered ring installer( I don't remember the brand) was showing lighter then it was before. This is a used installer that I've had a while, but because of the bore size I don't use it very much. The only thing in ring package was a change to a Napier second. The ring drag still feels the same but didn't pull it with a guage. I'm thinking the hook on the Napier may have scraped some anodizing away ? If so would this be in the relief for the hook? I'm going to remove a piston and look see. Has anyone had this problem (?) before. If so do you recommend a steel installer for a Napier second.
You are only limited by your machinery and your imagination!
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Aluminum Tapered Ring Compresser & Napier Second Rings

Post by hoodeng »

Interesting point. If the installers coating is not hard anodized and the hook being quite pronounced, surface scraping is quite possible, and yes, this will load the hook as there is nowhere else for it to go. This material will also stay trapped in the second to oil ring void.

I am not even sure if hard anodizing is the answer in this application, turning up a steel one would be a lot easier.

Cheers.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I use stainless steel adjustable tapered compressors made by Proform Yes Taiwan but they work quite nice on bikes when you need to push a common cylinder block over two pistons at the same time...https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Truck, the difference for you and i is that we come from the bottom, C.A.R.E is coming from the top.
What we deal with is a whole lot kinder to Napier hook rings that what CARE deals with.

Going a little off topic but maybe of interest to you Truck. In the photo are quick release hose clamps that i use when installing triple barrels. As you know these can be a pig to install, you may have been caught in the past dealing with these things, stick with the twins, you will keep more hair, or whatever is left stays longer.[time i mean]

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I run napier second rings, ductile iron. Also use ARP tapered ring compressors and have zero issues with this.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

C.A.R.E. : why not take 320 then 400 then 600 hand work the coating totally off and shine it up to slick finish ? Mark H.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

I'm afraid if it's bare it will really shave the aluminum. I removed two pistons and didn't find any aluminum and trying to wipe the Napier groove didn't revile any noticeable anodizing, but its black and non magnetic. I hope I'm sweating this for no reason. Does anyone know of a company that make tapered ring installers that are made of steel ? Also these rings are on the high tension side. They're 4.565 bore 1/16 - .165 back cut.( old set of pistons )
You are only limited by your machinery and your imagination!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

hoodeng wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:35 pm Truck, the difference for you and i is that we come from the bottom, C.A.R.E is coming from the top.
What we deal with is a whole lot kinder to Napier hook rings that what CARE deals with.

Going a little off topic but maybe of interest to you Truck. In the photo are quick release hose clamps that i use when installing triple barrels. As you know these can be a pig to install, you may have been caught in the past dealing with these things, stick with the twins, you will keep more hair, or whatever is left stays longer.[time i mean]

Cheers.
That compressor in upside down in the photo, it's primarily for automotive use with the piston being pushed down..I have used hose clamps and T bar clamps in the past...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

I made a steel tapered compresser.
My application requires range of 2.900-2.950 and there were no standard ones I liked.
I used a piece of steel 3/8 wall pipe.
On my lathe, cut off a 2" long piece, finished outside smooth, and bored the inside to 2.950.
I took a tapered inside cut over about 1.5", smoothed & polished the inside smooth.
I split the tube with a 3/16" wide cut in the wall, and dressed the edges of the cut.
I fitted a hose clamp around the outside to adjust the bore.
Works like a champ, just need to keep it oiled to prevent rust.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I use the standard-issue aluminum ring compressors and have had no problems whatsoever. Remember to apply a light coating of oil to the piston skirts and ring faces when installing them.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

6 month old thread i know but i figure its recent enouggh fpr a relevant question..

Inevitably i think whatll happen is luck will run out and a piston wont go into the block cleanly with these compressors, maybe the ring compressor was a little out of alignment with the hole so the napier ring hits the deck as it goes in...

Is missing some going in smoothly every so often normal?
Is the ring generally toast in that situation?
Are the hook napier rings stronger than that?
Would the cylinder looking the same as the ones where the piston goes in smoothly, ie, no weird looking scratches in the hone, be a good indication Ring damage has been dodged?
Would odd scratches even be noticeable if some of the hook has been shaved off by deck contact...?

Thanks. All.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Good questions.