Iron crankshaft welding

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Guru
Guru
Iron crankshaft welding

Post by 1972ho »

Can the ford 4MA cleveland crankshaft rod journal be welded and run without problems.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Iron crankshaft welding

Post by PackardV8 »

1972ho wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm Can the ford 4MA cleveland crankshaft rod journal be welded and run without problems.
Is it actually made from cast iron or more likely is it a cast steel crank?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

1972ho wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm Can the ford 4MA cleveland crankshaft rod journal be welded and run without problems.
If the correct welding wire is used, it would be no problem.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Contact Adney Brown at Performance Crankshaft.
(586) 549-7557

http://performancecrankshaft.com/
ec1

Post by ec1 »

I used to do Welding on a Gleason machine. As long as you use the correct wire and are good at welding cranks yes it will hold up fine. There is a different wire for forged vs cast cranks. The Ford cranks are of a premium nodular iron.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Are you taking about welding for purpose of stroking, or just for repair?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I just had one journal welded but I had heard years ago the welding on cast iron/nodular crankshaft was a no no so I had it done anyway and it look perfect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:09 pm
Is it actually made from cast iron or more likely is it a cast steel crank?
Cast steel? So far as I know, every "cast steel" crankshaft is actually made of cast iron, having enough carbon to place it well above the limits for "steel".

Eagle, for example, actually admitted that their "cast steel" cranks are really cast iron. I don't know why the FTC doesn't take action.
ec1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:24 pmThe Ford cranks are of a premium nodular iron.
Yup. Cast iron.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

True cast 'Steel', as opposed to 'Iron', cranks have been produced, and will become more common

Steel is much more difficult to cast than Iron ...... temperature, pouring & shrinkage etc ...... so production engineers avoid it where possible

Nodular and ADI cranks, have been developed to such a degree that they can take care of most 'lower' power applications, leaving much more expensive forged cranks to take care of the upper end requirements, however as the 'power density' of ICE engines continues to climb 'cast Steel' cranks will bridge the gap

Now the need is there, and the economies of scale will follow, expect to see a lot more true 'cast Steel' cranks appear, especially in the light diesel sector

IIRC Ford patented a 'cast Steel' manufacturing process for Flathead V8 cranks in the thirties

AIUI the current aftermarket 'Cast Steel' cranks are usually high nodular Iron or ADI and don't generally meet the requirements of being a 'Steel'

['Steels' are generally assumed to have <2% Carbon, 'Irons' more ...... were it ever that simple]

Edit sp & gr