External chamfer tool.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

External chamfer tool.

Post by hoodeng »

Does anyone know where i could get a carbide external chamfer tool for chamfering the seal o/d of valve guides, min ø .500" max ø .750" internal included angle 60°. I am currently using a 'Severance Outside Chamfering Mill' which is doing a good job, but as it is HSS and cutting at the same point it won't last forever.

All of the hardware store type ones squeal and die in short order.

Last resort will be to make one.

Thanks.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: External chamfer tool.

Post by mag2555 »

Goodson supply has one ( GCT-35) that has a range from 1/4” to 5/8” for 80 bucks, but I will bet that while your current one is still good if you send it out to get Cryo treated it will last a great amount longer!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

mag2555 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 am Goodson supply has one ( GCT-35) that has a range from 1/4” to 5/8” for 80 bucks, but I will bet that while your current one is still good if you send it out to get Cryo treated it will last a great amount longer!
Your bet would be wrong. Cryogenic treatment isn't a magic bullet for tool life. I did measured testing in a production machine shop on Cryo treated vs untreated tooling on carbide and HSS consumable tooling. Cutting inserts, endmills, drills,etc. While we did see slight improvements in a few applications our take away was it wasn't worth the time or effort. The coating used on the tool and proper speeds, feeds and setup should be his focus.

If the tool works well, I wouldn't be afraid of sticking with HSS. Purchase another as a spare and have the original reground when needed. http://www.severancetool.com/pdf/Severa ... df#page=37
http://www.severancetools.com/regrind-service.html
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

The GCT35 is the one i currently use, it is identical to the Severance. A little cutting oil helps, but the guides i am cutting are pretty tough hence my preference to now go down the carbide track.

Thanks.
mods4u

Post by mods4u »

I Know a guy who made his own valve guide tooling back in the late 70'S early 80's for his own cylinder head business. He is located in Adelaide and trades as GMR Industries P/l he can be emailed on gmrindustries@bigpond.com.au he also manufactures Flow bench valve openers and assorted mountings, give Mal a try.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

There you go! In the end i tracked down Mal from GMR to make one, after exhausting my possibilities of sourcing one from the usual manufacturers of valve train service tools. Works perfect and the carbide blades are replaceable, although i don't see myself wearing it out in years to come.

Some time back i was hunting globally for an air cleaner cover for a restoration that i am doing, the only option was to buy a full stainless steel reproduction for a ransom. It was in a chat to Mal that he asked to have a look at it, week later the result is in the picture, excellent, a few holes to drill and a vent pipe to fit, his suggestion was to do these in the final fit up due to the OEM being a bit all over the place.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.