Fama rugo 05

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Fama rugo 05

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

After some advice on this diamond guide hone https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQrJTD-n3yg

One of my suppliers is trying to talk me into this over a sunnen hone all, but I can’t find any information about it in English, or much first hand experience. We do a lot of 5-6mm bronze guide work, plus the usual 8mm and 11/32” stuff.

Supposedly the diamonds for this setup are quite short so it’s harder to keep the guide straight and on size. Plus what’s the availability/cost of mandrels/diamonds like when invariably you damage one? Also there’s no way to true the diamond, how much of an issue is this?

Thanks,
Mick.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: Fama rugo 05

Post by Dave Koehler »

I and many others here are familiar with the Honeall and Sunnen's one pass diamond hones.
My take on the video is this. Since it works like a honeall with multiple passes the only advantage is the diamond life over stone.
Both will require some practice to get a straight hole without bellmouth or barrel shapes.
If it makes any difference I would think the increments are metric.
I wonder why no oil was used in the video.
It sounds like your supplier, if he wants a sale needs to dig up the pricing and availability. If he can't, hard pass.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

Dave Koehler wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 am I and many others here are familiar with the Honeall and Sunnen's one pass diamond hones.
My take on the video is this. Since it works like a honeall with multiple passes the only advantage is the diamond life over stone.
Both will require some practice to get a straight hole without bellmouth or barrel shapes.
If it makes any difference I would think the increments are metric.
I wonder why no oil was used in the video.
It sounds like your supplier, if he wants a sale needs to dig up the pricing and availability. If he can't, hard pass.
Thanks for the reply Dave. I’ve used a hone all for many many years and don’t really have an issue. The time has come to upgrade/replace the setup we are using, and my supplier was pushing this fama one. Neither I nor my boss have even heard of the brand, and that video like you said, raises more questions than answers. I was just curious if this could be a better way (finish/trueness wise) than what we have.

Pretty sure we are just going to stick with the hone all and stones, has way more versatility with up to a 35mm mandrel too.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 pm After some advice on this diamond guide hone https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQrJTD-n3yg

One of my suppliers is trying to talk me into this over a sunnen hone all, but I can’t find any information about it in English, or much first hand experience. We do a lot of 5-6mm bronze guide work, plus the usual 8mm and 11/32” stuff.

Supposedly the diamonds for this setup are quite short so it’s harder to keep the guide straight and on size. Plus what’s the availability/cost of mandrels/diamonds like when invariably you damage one? Also there’s no way to true the diamond, how much of an issue is this?

Thanks,
Mick.
Personally I see the stones as being too long based on the demo.
I use the std. sunnen stones and find that as long as the stone is no more then the length of the guide it allows you to rotate the head and back stroke a guide to straighten it when you end up with a tapered guide.
The short Dart guides are about 1.5" long making a long mandrel stone harder to use.
But FYI there is diamond stones available for your hone-all set up in the same length as the vitrified stones are.

I was just dealing with Dan at Cavco sales on this since the std stones are getting costly and hard to get at times now switching to a diamond seemed a better way to go and get more guides per stone. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors