hylomar on oil pan seals

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

hylomar on oil pan seals

Post by DCal »

Getting ready to put my SBC oil pan on using 4 piece gasket set. My question is if it's correct or OK to put a thin smear of Hylomar Blue on the rubber end seals. I apologize because I know this oil pan sealing topic is used a lot but I could not find this particular answer.thanks
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: hylomar on oil pan seals

Post by Schurkey »

NO. You'd just be lubricating the seal so it slides out-of-position easier.

A "dot" of RTV silicone or The Right Stuff where the seal meets the cork gasket is all you need. Four places the gaskets touch the seals, four "dots" of RTV.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

The only silicone sealer we use is permatex Right stuff.other then ultra copper for heat, Right Stuff is great ,it is not cheap, napa carries it, fills voids and is very durable with excellent adhesive characteristics.Not sure if hylomar worth using for anything, ditched it 10 yrs. ago
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

V12MECH wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:05 pm The only silicone sealer we use is permatex Right stuff.other then ultra copper for heat, Right Stuff is great ,it is not cheap, napa carries it, fills voids and is very durable with excellent adhesive characteristics.Not sure if hylomar worth using for anything, ditched it 10 yrs. ago
Schurkey wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:06 pm NO. You'd just be lubricating the seal so it slides out-of-position easier.

A "dot" of RTV silicone or The Right Stuff where the seal meets the cork gasket is all you need. Four places the gaskets touch the seals, four "dots" of RTV.
Thank you guys, I'll be headed to Napa in the morning