Whiplash, Thumper, Bootlegger etc cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Whiplash, Thumper, Bootlegger etc cams

Post by travis »

A friend of mine was asking about using a Hughes “Whiplash” cam in an otherwise nearly stock small block mopar.

I did a bit of research as I’ve never used one of these type cams. It sounds like these type cams are intended primarily to sound “bad” in mild low compression engines but supposedly they add a bunch of WOT performance too. But I have to wonder…how is the part throttle drivability with low compression and a relatively large amount of overlap? I listened to a bunch of these whiplash cams on YouTube…the big block versions sound pretty good but most of the small block ones sound like, well, a low compression engine with a too big cam in them. People rave about the WOT performance but never any mention of how they drive.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Whiplash, Thumper, Bootlegger etc cams

Post by CamKing »

They sound like crap, because they're designed to be inefficient at idle.
If they're inefficient at idle, they're going to be inefficient off idle.
They get less inefficient as the RPM's increase, but they're never efficient.
The reason people think they're making good top-end power, is just because they're so bad down low, the top-end feels great.
In reality, they're down on power, everywhere, compared to the correct cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

We had a very bread n butter 350 with the middle Thumpr cam(235/247-107) in it on the dyno not long ago.
Ootb E-Streets, flat tops, right about 10:1, 1-5/8” headers, 1.5 rockers, A/G intake.
It made surprisingly good power, and hung on quite well.

I personally don’t care for the idle characteristics of those cams, but it’s what the owner wanted.
It exceeded our expectations power wise.

It seems the Howard’s “Rattlers” are the most normal of the bunch in terms of duration/split.
6* of split on a 109lsa.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

I have noticed some of those have less than stellar accuracy of the lobe centers from one end to the other with with a dash of base circle runout for added excitement. To me they make an engine sound like it has really bad valve guides.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Just curious as to what bad guides sound like?
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Need more converter and/or gear to launch vs. a better choice.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

panic wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:58 pm Need more converter and/or gear to launch vs. a better choice.
That’s the thing…most people that have used them claim that with just the cam swap they can blow the tires off, where they could barely spin them before.

I’d bet the fuel economy is pretty atrocious, plus with the lack of vacuum it just really doesn’t seem like a good deal for a driver.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I've always been more into Go than Show but now that I make youtube videos, it has to be considered and why I chose the last cams I bought https://youtu.be/QlZEO4z8fs4

I know a cam swap in my C3 https://youtu.be/YmfYYMaDVLc would pick up decent power but I choose to limit the power and jumble the combo because of the rearend/use.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve K »

I'm running a Vortec head 350 SBC, maybe 9.0:1 compression (stock dished pistons with 64 cc chambers), with a Thumper cam (smallest of the bunch) and a dual quad Edelbrock RPM intake, headers and dual exhaust. Trans is a TH350 with a shift kit with a 2500 stall convertor with a lock up. This is in a 83 Pontiac Parisienne (GM B body) 4 door. Heavy car, 3800 lb. It'll spin that one tire at will off the line for longer than one would expect in a old barge of a car. A lot of people don't have too much good to say about these cams but I suspect they've never actually run one. I like the way it sounds at idle.
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Bill Metzger started this phase with LAZER CAMS and called them "street rod" cams. But, they were minimal duration increase at .050", (only around 205/210), ground on really tight separations, (102 to 104), to provide a rougher idle . They became smooth above idle, at normal driving speeds.

Later companies added more duration to make them sound even "rattier" but, they never get smooth.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I have always wanted to try this cam in something. Crane Energizer 274 H06. 218/218 @.050, .450 lift, 106 lsa. Should be great for having your sound and good manners too. Summit seals their copy of it for $95.
So much to do, so little time...
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Never spec a cam for someone that is looking for sound... leave that to the audio tech experts.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I would post audio and video of a cpl of cams but this site no longer allows that.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

My snidely cam 227/239/107 gets 19 highway.
Jim
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

The main difference between these and other street cams, is the lobe separation angle. To get the idle, they tighten it up to 106-107 degrees to increase overlap. They also add a little extra duration to the exhaust lobe to further add to the overlap. To work with all that extra overlap, the car will NEED a nice set of headers, along with large sized exhaust pipe and 'see through' mufflers such as Dynomax or Magnaflow. Without a FREE flowing exhaust, all that extra overlap will simply cause a bunch of reversion, and the engine won't make anywhere near the power it should.

Good Luck