Open or Crate?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Re: Open or Crate?

Post by 88bluestar »

400 gram piston with .043/.043/3mm low tension rings,565gram Eagle sir rods, OE scat crank, 2701 intake, EQ 350i 1.94-1.50 with 5 angle job(no porting allowed), rochester 2 bbl, 238/243@050, 106-108 Hydraulic limited travel lifters per Mikes recommendation. Running E-85 fuel, and LT _1 camaro exhaust manifolds with extensions .9.5:1 comp ratio, max 360 cid

What kind of hp/tq output would this be?
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Before you go sinking lots of money into the engine, how much is the claim? And what are the rules for claim? Can the inbred hilljacks ten laps down claim the engines of the top 5 finishers? How often do other competitors claim?

How big is the track? If it's a half mile track, you might want a few more degrees duration on the cam.

Make sure to back cut the intake valves when doing the valve job.

Just read the claim rules for USRA. Does yours follow the $500 claim for heads and intake, no lower end claim?
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Gather around here there hasn't been any claims. I figure putting an emphasis on the short block which is unclaimable is where the money needs to be spent. I plan to run the 350i EQ head since it has been found to flow pretty good especially with a good 5 angle job and the 2701 is just a bit better than the 2101. Per Mikes info the crates have an advantage on restarts and I figure between a relatively light piston/rod combo, likely a simple cleaned up and surfaced stock oil pump, a quality 30 weight synthetic race oil(after a thorough break in) and E-85 it should accelerate pretty good with the crates. 400 grams is the lightest piston I could find for the 5.7 rod, but it's a pricey piston and ring set. May go cheaper on pistons but would like to stay with a forged type. 6700-6800 rpm is what I'll likely cap my gearing at. It's a 3/8 dirt track, will pretty smooth and fast turns. I would likely go with the 106 lsa since the majority of passing, and more speed is on the bottom lanes. It says nothing in regards to the exhaust manifolds being acid ported or pressure ported so that's also something to do somewhere down the road.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

88bluestar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:20 pm Gather around here there hasn't been any claims. I figure putting an emphasis on the short block which is unclaimable is where the money needs to be spent. I plan to run the 350i EQ head since it has been found to flow pretty good especially with a good 5 angle job and the 2701 is just a bit better than the 2101. Per Mikes info the crates have an advantage on restarts and I figure between a relatively light piston/rod combo, likely a simple cleaned up and surfaced stock oil pump, a quality 30 weight synthetic race oil(after a thorough break in) and E-85 it should accelerate pretty good with the crates. 400 grams is the lightest piston I could find for the 5.7 rod, but it's a pricey piston and ring set. May go cheaper on pistons but would like to stay with a forged type. 6700-6800 rpm is what I'll likely cap my gearing at. It's a 3/8 dirt track, will pretty smooth and fast turns. I would likely go with the 106 lsa since the majority of passing, and more speed is on the bottom lanes. It says nothing in regards to the exhaust manifolds being acid ported or pressure ported so that's also something to do somewhere down the road.
SO, you're actually not asking for any real help ... you just want verification for what you already want to do, right?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Somebody that knows what they're doing will show up with a 302 C or F, a 327 C or a 318 Mopar and hurt a lot of feelings. Probably the 318 because the tech people will have no idea what they're looking at.

The shorter stroke has less internal friction so eats up less power in the engine so when engines are air limited by carb restriction the same amount of air in x less internal friction = more power out.

Why do you think nascar suddenly found a need for a minimum stroke length rule when Jack Roush showed up with a 310 TransAm engine at the first Daytona race with restrictor plates?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The recent Hooker stock type chev exhaust manifolds are much bigger inside than the oem ex manifolds.
If they can be slipped thru tech. Never checked the inside of a Dorman ex manifold.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

:The open small cid engine should allow a 305 head a base 302w head and a oem mopar 318 LA head allow porting no welding or epoxy but must use stock oem valve size.
Give them all a bolt on mid length header, duals or 2 into 1 ex
These classes are getting way too expensive. And very boring. Give them all the same carb eg: a q jet with a fixed max air door max open angle @wot to limit cfm and track speed.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Not an expert by any stretch, and honestly have only built a few engines so learning from the experts on here is not only appreciated, it’s a godsend. I learn something new every day on this site from knowledgeable experts such as you Walter.
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:46 pm
88bluestar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:20 pm Gather around here there hasn't been any claims. I figure putting an emphasis on the short block which is unclaimable is where the money needs to be spent. I plan to run the 350i EQ head since it has been found to flow pretty good especially with a good 5 angle job and the 2701 is just a bit better than the 2101. Per Mikes info the crates have an advantage on restarts and I figure between a relatively light piston/rod combo, likely a simple cleaned up and surfaced stock oil pump, a quality 30 weight synthetic race oil(after a thorough break in) and E-85 it should accelerate pretty good with the crates. 400 grams is the lightest piston I could find for the 5.7 rod, but it's a pricey piston and ring set. May go cheaper on pistons but would like to stay with a forged type. 6700-6800 rpm is what I'll likely cap my gearing at. It's a 3/8 dirt track, will pretty smooth and fast turns. I would likely go with the 106 lsa since the majority of passing, and more speed is on the bottom lanes. It says nothing in regards to the exhaust manifolds being acid ported or pressure ported so that's also something to do somewhere down the road.
SO, you're actually not asking for any real help ... you just want verification for what you already want to do, right?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Tuner wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:18 pm Somebody that knows what they're doing will show up with a 302 C or F, a 327 C or a 318 Mopar and hurt a lot of feelings. Probably the 318 because the tech people will have no idea what they're looking at.

The shorter stroke has less internal friction so eats up less power in the engine so when engines are air limited by carb restriction the same amount of air in x less internal friction = more power out.

Why do you think nascar suddenly found a need for a minimum stroke length rule when Jack Roush showed up with a 310 TransAm engine at the first Daytona race with restrictor plates?
Although a Mopar would be the heaviest of the options to be over the front wheels.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:03 am
Tuner wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:18 pm Somebody that knows what they're doing will show up with a 302 C or F, a 327 C or a 318 Mopar and hurt a lot of feelings. Probably the 318 because the tech people will have no idea what they're looking at.

Although a Mopar would be the heaviest of the options to be over the front wheels.
Yes, 318s are sturdy little buggers, aren't they. Obviously the Ford 302 would be the light weight winner there and also has the advantage of lightest rotating weight.
88bluestar
Pro
Pro

Post by 88bluestar »

Would undercut valves help in this situation since no porting is allowed?