General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Sbc roller wear patterns

Post by Justa1time »

Good Evening,

Curious as to what you guys have to say about this odd roller rocker "Gouging". This wear pattern is on most rockers and i have shown photographs of both open and closed valves for roller to valve tip geometry reference.. Any input welcome!

Bryan from Oregon
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Sbc roller wear patterns

Post by rustbucket79 »

First thing you should do is install adjustable guide plates and properly center the roller tips on the valve tips side to side.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

...and then contact the manufacturer so that you have return authorization to send the defective rocker(s) back for warranty replacement.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Chinese rockers?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The other issue that is hard for some to admit is the trunion portion of the rocker is loose on the threaded portion of the stud.
There is a pro series that is about .010 larger on the shank portion of the stud which helps keep the rocker movement to a minimum. It also gives more holding threads to retain the rocker instead of 4-5 turns of the poly lock nut.
Problem is they are double the money of the conventional studs.
Also depending on who's rockers you have the trunion may also have a slightly larger hole through it as well. Making the combo hard to keep still at the best of times.
And as mentioned a well fitted set of adjustable guide plates will help center the rockers after all the slack is taken out of the stud area.
Just went through this same thing on a 408 ford the studs had 4 turns of nut on the threads to lash the rockers but now it has almost a full poly nut to hold the rocker on the stud and the rollers are centered on the valve tips as they should be. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Charliesauto wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:12 am Chinese rockers?
Looks that way to me, one area I prefer not to use imported stuff.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

BOOT wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:32 am
Charliesauto wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:12 am Chinese rockers?
Looks that way to me, one area I prefer not to use imported stuff.
Anyone dumb enough to use communist manufactured junk in their engine deserves all the problems they incur.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Well you had better throw all your appliances in the garbage and most of parts in your daily driver because guess what.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

1972ho wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:44 pm Well you had better throw all your appliances in the garbage and most of parts in your daily driver because guess what.oh and your footwear.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

1972ho wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:44 pm Well you had better throw all your appliances in the garbage and most of parts in your daily driver because guess what.
Have not used any appliances, daily driver parts or footwear in any of my race engines, must be something new,
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

I am the person taking this engine apart and carefully combing through another's work and parts choice to revive this engine for my own use.

Rust bucket: Thank you for mentioning the guideplates. I have posted a photograph of the current guideplates and I will make sure the pushrods are good (no diamater or style changes) and then order some new adjustable ones. Do you have any in particular you like more than others?

Propower engines: I really appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on the rocker to stud concern. I am going to take this apart and carefully measure everything and look into the studs you have mentioned. Please see below for my response to the rockers and see photo attached. Also if you have a particular style you prefer I would be interested to hear your recomendation.

Boot and Charlie's Auto: Wow. Can't be so sure of the Chinese sourced rocker parts but I am sure portions of them are from the continent of Asia. See photograph attached for the current guide plate and rocker stamping of the companies that lay claim to said parts. To be honest I feel at this point in time most aftermarket support for engines have materials, individual parts or finished products from overseas and there really is nothing wrong with that as long as the end result product is good. It's said that the better of the valve spring materials come from Asia. Perhaps you can elaborate on what you know about parts origin as I too am interested in where things come from
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

1972ho wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:44 pm Well you had better throw all your appliances in the garbage and most of parts in your daily driver because guess what.
=D>
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
JES

Post by JES »

If you use adjustable guide plates it will help to line the rockers up evenly but will create a triangulated wear pattern, on push rod, rocker stud and valve tip and usually take out the rocker trunnion bearing. The OE style rocker arm would articulate through all of this and would run just fine until the guides are worn out. The valve spacing is not like an OE head. With your heads the only way to make this right is shaft rockers. T&D or Jessel sportsman. Either way, now you are loosing lift and the engine is not seeing the cam as it should.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Comp Cam uses overseas junk, I've used some of their cheaper stuff in the late 90's and wouldn't use it again. I'm sure more n more these days that they import many parts as most co's do the larger and more profit oriented they get. I like their ultra pro rockers but the SS, where do you think ebay/amazon gets theirs from, prob comes from the same place that makes em for comp.

These days you can not guarantee tomorrow the quality of anything. Still I use what ever works by who ever makes it and say when I do find a bad part, prob why I'll never get any sponsors on my youtube channel LOL still I'd rather not if I gotta hold my tongue.

edit: Almost forgot, awhile back comp came out with the Ultra Gold alum rockers(the first version) Worst loudest rockers I ever had! I got several sets of their Ultra Pro Mags tho and hope they stay at least the same.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

JES wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:25 am If you use adjustable guide plates it will help to line the rockers up evenly but will create a triangulated wear pattern, on push rod, rocker stud and valve tip and usually take out the rocker trunnion bearing. The OE style rocker arm would articulate through all of this and would run just fine until the guides are worn out. The valve spacing is not like an OE head. With your heads the only way to make this right is shaft rockers. T&D or Jessel sportsman. Either way, now you are loosing lift and the engine is not seeing the cam as it should.
Referring to the valve spacing, did you determine the cylinder head model from the stamped figures on the head? I did notice the rockers appear to be somewhat splayed, but I have seen this on many heads with normal valve spacing. It's common enough to make me think about self guided rockers.
So much to do, so little time...