How is the camshaft supply today.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

How is the camshaft supply today.

Post by Krooser »

I'm just wondering how the camshaft and lifter supply is doing. I know lots of parts are in short supply...I know a couple builds that are coming up will be delayed by shortages.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: How is the camshaft supply today.

Post by ProPower engines »

It depends on the cam and lifter performance requirements and cam core material.
all the top quality stuff is just as hard to get ans the el-cheapo stuff. Guys are settling for the lower quality parts rather then get in line for a couple weeks to get the good stuff cause they want to build it and drive them instantly..
There is lots of money being spent right now on parts and materials and it seems guys just do not want to wait for anything to get there projects done.
And where restrictions are being lifters the worse its getting. Guys that wanted to go roller are settling for FT stuff
We can't fix stupid but you can invoice it :lol: :lol: ..............................Right. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Krooser wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:56 am I'm just wondering how the camshaft and lifter supply is doing.
It's crazy.
I only deal with U.S. suppliers, so I don't know how the import inventory is doing.
There's 3 major Cam Core suppliers in the US. All their manufacturing facilities were closed down for 6+ months, and all are having issues, getting employees to come back to work.
While they weren't manufacturing, they were selling what inventory they had.
All the cam companies bought up what they could, but had to use most of their inventory.
With the cam core manufacturers inventory depleted, and the cam companies inventory depleted, the core manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with their orders, and being short staffed isn't helping.
I have cam cores that have been on order, for almost a year.
I've sold almost all of our HARDKORE Tool Steel cores, because they were only available option.

As for flat tappet lifters, it's about the same.
I only sell US made lifters, and the largest manufacturer on flat tappet lifters in the US, was closed for months. While they were closed, the U.S. foundry that made the lifter blanks, went out of business. This meant the lifter manufacturer had to find a new U.S. foundry, and pay to have all new tooling made for each part#. This about doubled the cost of the lifters.
The supply for .842" lifters is getting much better, but .875" and .904" are still taking months to get.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I recently made an inquiry to a certain camshaft company about what UGL blanks were available for grinding a custom big block Ford roller camshaft ... being that it is not all that popular and they might actually have something.
The ONLY roller UGL they had for a big block Ford was for a .460" to .490" lobe lift and 112 to 114 separation.

Way to big for what I wanted ground.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:36 pm I recently made an inquiry to a certain camshaft company about what UGL blanks were available for grinding a custom big block Ford roller camshaft ... being that it is not all that popular and they might actually have something.
The ONLY roller UGL they had for a big block Ford was for a .460" to .490" lobe lift and 112 to 114 separation.

I have a .430" on 108
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CamKing wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:20 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:36 pm I recently made an inquiry to a certain camshaft company about what UGL blanks were available for grinding a custom big block Ford roller camshaft ... being that it is not all that popular and they might actually have something.

I have a .430" on 108
My customer got his own from somewhere but, I will keep that in mind.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.