Wet Blasting engine parts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wagon62
Wet Blasting engine parts

Post by wagon62 »

Looking for input on Vapour Blasting Technologies machines. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: Wet Blasting engine parts

Post by BCjohnny »

Most 'blasting' processes work reasonably well, if you use the right media and settings ...... I've used nearly all of them over the years like a lot of others

The trick of getting all the stuff back out every time is what trips people up, hence the drift in some cases to using soluble media, such as baking-soda, which you can't use in a wet blast cabinet

If you're blasting 'solid' objects, or at least ones that can be easily checked for media retention, it's less of a risk ....... anything more prone to be a trap is a greater risk, remaining media forced in under pressure can often release with subsequent heating/cooling cycles

If that happens, in say, a water jacket then it's unlikely to be catastrophic, elsewhere could be a very different matter

So I guess I'm saying it's sometimes more of a case of what you are blasting as much as what you're blasting it with
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Granted, the cleaning the entire blasted part is different than trying to mask off all the holes in an open engine.

But GM is mighty concerned about the debris from those surface conditioning disks.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/ ... 1-9999.pdf
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

I did a demo of one of these machines at IMTS. I was not impressed. There is so much water flow it is difficult to see and I didn't get the impression this would remove stubborn carbon, but perhaps with the right media it would. I prefer the old standby, glass beads. I then clean the parts well in an aqueous cleaner before they are sent.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I was very interested at first also but it's far more complex and it takes a lot more HP to do the same thing as dry blasting.
You can get more advanced with dry blasting and get the same or better results IMO, It would be nice to have two or three blasting cabinets each set up with different media, could share the same dust collector.
Pressure washer in a cabinet might be a great way to clean parts without getting wet tho.