COMP Cams LST solid roller lobes... "Top Secret"?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
COMP Cams LST solid roller lobes... "Top Secret"?

Post by BradH »

I'm an inquisitive person, so after seeing some of the write-ups on COMP Cams' LST cam lobes, I figured I'd ask for more info. After all, if they're talking about them in the press, they must be ready for prime time, right? :wink:

Here's my exchange w/ COMP, asking about some lobe families they'd announced publicly in a magazine article I found online.
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 2.32.03 PM.png

My first thought after their response was: "What's with the Secret Squirrel stuff on their new cam lobes?" The second thought is since I'm not in the industry that I'm not worth their time providing the specs. Regardless... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: COMP Cams LST solid roller lobes... "Top Secret"?

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Probabily don't want to talk about because these "new improved" cam lobes that don't shock the valvetrain so much will have longer seat to seat valve timing with actual practical lash ramps on the open and close sides of the lobe, VS slamming open/ closed by ever shortening or essentually eliminating the lash ramps.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Also may not want to reveal their new found secret that if on many many existing lobe designs (that do have lash ramps) that if you simply reduce the valve lash the valve train becomes more stable when running at very high rpm.
Testing shows both gains in top end power and RPM limit extension and overall longer service life.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Mike Jones commented recently that "LST" is COMP-speak for inverted radius lobes... like he's been grinding for decades. Just thought it would be interesting to see more details than what they offered in their techno-promo articles.
perfconn
Pro
Pro

Post by perfconn »

Comp will not give you the specs on a customers propritery lobe.If you have Comp design a lobe just for you,then the design is yours & they won't share it with anyone else.I have had cams in hand from Hendricks & Comp wouldn't even tell me what it was.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I think that the whole Comp Group since being aquired by the investment group that had Edelbrock may well degrade into a Cam Marketing Company vs a Cam Company that actually does new design research. Most of these Investment groups are ONLY profit driven...
Time will tell.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

They're not going to tell you what they're doing, because they're doing what we were doing in 1979, but to a lesser degree, because they're grinding with 18-22" grinding wheels, not 5" wheels, like we use.
They will go out of their way, to avoid using the term "Inverse Radius", because they spent the last 30 years badmouthing I.R. cams.

Again, like so many of Comp's Latest and Greatest "inventions", this is just another re-naming of an old, established technology.
Now that Comp has been bought by the group that's ruining Edelbrock, you will see more and more of this B.S.
Marketing is much cheaper then R&D, and a lot more effective.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

There's nothing mentioned as being proprietary in this article, so make of it what you will: https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/ ... ock-chevy/
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Back when most guys were using flat tappet cams we stopped buying Comp stuff as Bullet and Harold's cams were so much better. I have not bought a Comp cam in over 25 years. In a back to back test of a Comp 292H vs the old Elgin 1165P hyd cam the Elgin cam out on top by over 2 tenths and a few MPH and pulled a ton harder. The only thing good about the 292 Comp cam was it worked well with the nitrous, that's about it.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

TOP SECRET !!!!! LOL Comp Cams, how silly can you get?......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I gotta ask- what does CC offer that you cannot source elsewhere ?
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

dfarr67 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:18 pm I gotta ask- what does CC offer that you cannot source elsewhere ?
Probably 100 times as many masters as most other grinders. Their published master list is expansive and they have significantly more that are not published.

Also more R&D going on than all other competitors combined along with more inspection capability than most others.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Charliesauto wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:51 pm
dfarr67 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:18 pm I gotta ask- what does CC offer that you cannot source elsewhere ?
Probably 100 times as many masters as most other grinders. Their published master list is expansive and they have significantly more that are not published.

Also more R&D going on than all other competitors combined along with more inspection capability than most others.
Wow all that?? Yet when you call for a recommendation they just can't manage it...
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

"The second thought is since I'm not in the industry that I'm not worth their time providing the specs."

This is the correct guess.

A lot of people don't understand Comp's business model.

There are two types of customers they do well with.

(1) Guys who are happy enough picking(on their own) a catalog cam and ordering from Summit/Jegs.

(2) Hard core engine builders who have a direct relationship with one of Comps engine builder support techs. I am one of those builders and when I call my tech support guy, he knows I am actually going to order a cam, not just talk about it. Most of the time I already know what lobes and separation I want and may only need to communicate what cores are available etc.

The typical complaints I see concerning Comp are from the guys between the two above. That would be an enthusiast that wants some level of advice and is probably going to call a dozen different cam grinders and only going to purchase a cam from one so 11 guys are wasting their time.
If you fit in this category, Comp may not be the cam company for you.
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Charliesauto wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:15 pm "The second thought is since I'm not in the industry that I'm not worth their time providing the specs."

This is the correct guess.

A lot of people don't understand Comp's business model.

There are two types of customers they do well with.

(1) Guys who are happy enough picking(on their own) a catalog cam and ordering from Summit/Jegs.

(2) Hard core engine builders who have a direct relationship with one of Comps engine builder support techs. I am one of those builders and when I call my tech support guy, he knows I am actually going to order a cam, not just talk about it. Most of the time I already know what lobes and separation I want and may only need to communicate what cores are available etc.

The typical complaints I see concerning Comp are from the guys between the two above. That would be an enthusiast that wants some level of advice and is probably going to call a dozen different cam grinders and only going to purchase a cam from one so 11 guys are wasting their time.
If you fit in this category, Comp may not be the cam company for you.
So Comp has a crystal ball?? They can tell who's who on the phone? Who do you think pays Comps bills, the so called "hard core guys" like you ( Laugh) or the tens of thousands of customers that fall into the first category?
You act like Comp is the only company that has to deal with time wasters and bargain seekers..
Their promotional blabber is, "let us help you pick the right cam, our experience will set you right". so according to you, that's just all bullshit.
Maybe it should say "We're only here for the Hard Core guys, the rest of you plebs can just pay the bills?
Tell me, if you rang a roofing company and got two completely different quotes for the same job, would you trust them enough to give them that job?