cam gears with torrington bearings and FT cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

novadude
Guru
Guru

cam gears with torrington bearings and FT cams

Post by novadude »

Having a debate with a friend... do you need a cam button when using a timing set w/ a torrington bearing on the cam gear if you are running a flat tappet (BBC)? I have always heard "no", as the taper on the lobes and oil pump gear pulls the cam to the back. I can't find a definitive answer anywhere though.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: cam gears with torrington bearings and FT cams

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

No you don't need a cam button.. But if using a torrington bearing behind the cam gear it effects how far rear the cam will run in the block.. So, the back of the cam gear needs to be machined appropriatly.. That may need attention.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:04 am No you don't need a cam button.. But if using a torrington bearing behind the cam gear it effects how far rear the cam will run in the block.. So, the back of the cam gear needs to be machined appropriatly.. That may need attention.
Thanks. I am talking about the timing sets already machined for the bearing that include the bearing in the set, so the gear would already have the proper machining.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Yes, just double check that the machining is going to be correct depth for the bearing and block used so the cam runs in the right for-aft position under the lifters to best promote lifter rotation.