Heavy carbon buildup removal

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Heavy carbon buildup removal

Post by travis »

I’m working on a couple different projects with stock iron intakes that will retain a functional exhaust crossover. Both also have the typical sheet metal shield underneath the plenum in the valley area that are packed full of heavy cooked oil deposits. I’m spending way too much time drilling, chiseling, and grinding this stuff out. Is there something that will help soften or dissolve this stuff?

I’m also assuming that it is acceptable to cut the rivets to get these sheet metal shields off to clean under them, then rivet them back in place afterwards?
ec1
Re: Heavy carbon buildup removal

Post by ec1 »

Best thing is to bake and shot blast the intake. Probably around a $60 to $100 labor cost at local shop. Or if you really want to remove it chemically -carburetor cleaner. The kind you soak the whole carb into. You're going to need a way to soak that area. I think Gunk sells it. As for the rivets...chisel them out or off whatever happens first. Then drill and tap or I always just tig weld the plate back on through the holes with nickel rod. Remove the sheet metal and EVERY fitting/plug/stud before the bake and blast.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Travis,
On the Chevy intakes I have found that if you get a real small chisel or sharpened screwdriver under the corner of the rivet or the sheet metal you can usually pry the rivets out. Then after cleaning I just tap the holes and use a small screw to hold the shield in place.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
PbFlinger

Post by PbFlinger »

I have used a needle scaler on these with good results after heat shield removal. Of course if it’s all oily this won’t work. Backyard: spray on a can or two of dollar general oven cleaner, scrape, wire brush, hose off & let dry. Then alienate the neighborhood with the needle scaler.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

The way I remember them from decades ago, the heat-shield rivets have "threading" stamped into them.

Chisel them counter-clockwise (lefty-loosey) as you pry them out, and they back out pretty easy. Smack the shank to distort the threads a little, pound 'em back in when you're done.

But I haven't done this since Fido was a pup. So I might be hallucinating.
PbFlinger

Post by PbFlinger »

After doing one with the needle scaler you will crawl 11 miles on your hands & knees to a shop with an oven & a shot blaster, and give them a week’s pay to clean your intake.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Just for giggles...

Anyone have a part number for the heat shield on SBC intake manifold? I've got some aftermarket manifolds that have the heat shield holes drilled, they look like they'd take an OEM shield...but of course they're not supplied with the shield.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

1mm cut off blade in an angle grinder, slot the rivets & remove with impact screwdriver.
Caustic bath is your friend to remove the carbon, blasting can leave crap in the runners that you can't get out but the motor will suck it through!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Back at dawn of time lye (sodium hydroxide) was the go-to for decarbing iron motorcycle heads. You could buy it in supermarkets; it was used for making your own soap (!) Don't know where/how easy it is to get now.
https://www.castironcollector.com/lyebath.php
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

MadBill wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 pm Back at dawn of time lye (sodium hydroxide) was the go-to for decarbing iron motorcycle heads. You could buy it in supermarkets; it was used for making your own soap (!) Don't know where/how easy it is to get now.
https://www.castironcollector.com/lyebath.php
Sodium Hydroxide is readily available at almost every hardware store. It is sold as a drain opener in powder form and is mixed with water. Don't breathe the fumes. Don't use on aluminum parts.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I didn’t even think about drain cleaner…but some oven cleaners seem to work pretty well
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

travis wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:14 am I didn’t even think about drain cleaner…but some oven cleaners seem to work pretty well
Guess what's the active ingredient in over cleaner.

A 5 lb container of sodium hydroxide costs about as much as a single spray can of oven cleaner.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

David: I sent you a PM yesterday, don't know if you saw it yet. Look for an email from me as well.
Thinking is hard work.
m880

Post by m880 »

travis wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:36 am I’m working on a couple different projects with stock iron intakes that will retain a functional exhaust crossover. Both also have the typical sheet metal shield underneath the plenum in the valley area that are packed full of heavy cooked oil deposits. I’m spending way too much time drilling, chiseling, and grinding this stuff out. Is there something that will help soften or dissolve this stuff?

I’m also assuming that it is acceptable to cut the rivets to get these sheet metal shields off to clean under them, then rivet them back in place afterwards?
PB rust blaster removes carbon deposits very good
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »