Engine dyno Competitions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NormS
Vendor

Engine dyno Competitions

Post by NormS »

Has anyone heard anything about the Race Engine Challenge or the Masters of Motors competitions for '21 ? I haven't heard anything, and neither has anyone I know. It appears that they have been cancelled again, but I hope that isn't the case.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Re: Engine dyno Competitions

Post by Tom Walker »

Not heard anything definitive, but that is not good either. People need time to plan and build.
Really missed the dyno events last year, am still hoping something takes place this year. Anybody hear anything?
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

You would think we would have heard something by now. The silence is not encouraging.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I attended the Race Engine Challenge and tech conference in 2019 as a guest and really enjoyed the whole event. It was interesting and educational, great for networking too. Super impressive what can be done with engines with such an ancient design and modern materials! I'm an automotive engineer and lived in California for the longest time. I build mainly European engines (mostly Porsche) as well as doing cylinder head work on them. After I moved to Charlotte I was super excited to attend this year's event, but had to find out that it didn't take place in 2020 (Covid) and 2021 it seems there was not really much traction for this kind of stuff. That's super disappointing, since I'm originally from Germany and you will not find anything like this in Europe. It's like here in the US you have all the opportunities to create something so cool, but people seem take it for granted.
European Performance Engines & Cylinder Heads
www.therennlab.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The owner of the NC facility has reached out to a few former and potential participants. IIRC, he would love to host the event at his place, but doesn't want to be the management of an event.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Tom Walker wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 am Not heard anything definitive, but that is not good either. People need time to plan and build.
Really missed the dyno events last year, am still hoping something takes place this year. Anybody hear anything?
They could just use the same rules as their cancelled events ... I am sure some of those engine builds were actually begun.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

When we decided to do a dyno contest back in 2017, we thought we would do it for three years and hoped some other entity would
pick it up after that - never made it to the third year in 2020 because of Covid.
With all the complaints years past about how HRM ran the EMC and the silly rules at the Master Of Motors (MOM) we thought this was an
idea whose time had come.
We know now the only way this would happen is for people like Jon Kaase (and others) to get involved and pull in sponsors. I understand why
Jon didn't endorse our competing contest; EMC (and potentially MOM) gave him great pay days, front page of HRM and numerous articles - why
rock that boat!
I don't think sitting back at this point and waiting on the whims of the corporate suits at JE and Amsoil is the way to have some control
of a contest "By Engine Builders For Engine Builders" going into the future.
So the moral of the story is for those out there (including me) who really like participating in dyno racing is to get organized; there is
strength in numbers that could get enough sponsor dollars so there could be a "pay day for all contestants".
Many of you know this is my private dyno that is for my own use along with my friends. I don't rent it out unless someone has an interesting
engine we would like to see on the dyno.
The ball is in the court of you engine builders so go for it! I'll be happy to provide my facility for a contest again.

www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

Greg,
Is the 2021 Dyno fest/ Informal dyno session still on?
Since I'm retired from EMC/MOM I might bring an engine that could be considered interesting.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Good to hear from you... We're thinking if we have about a half dozen plus participants we would ask $300.00 for up to two hours on
the dyno once the engine starts. We'll run say up to say three engine a day - a Thursday, Friday, Saturday event. This is a new kind of event
so nothing is set in stone yet.
We have recently added a Plex knock sensor system in the dyno room. If you want to know if your engine will run on a certain octane, bring
that fuel and we will tell you if it works. Also a good time to see if that octane booster works for you. There will be a surcharge if VP MS 109 is
used instead of 93 pump gas. We also added a Performance Trends blow by meter - best way to see how your rings are sealing up.
Participation will be on a first come first served basis.
Most important is the beer is free!
Any one interested can call me at 704 408-7356
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
Curtis Z

Post by Curtis Z »

Wish this dyno opportunity was available before I put my Engine back in. I’m embarrassed to admit what
I missed that caused the Engine to have to be pulled for something that could have been fixed so easily on
the dyno.