stopping rust in a 4 year old race motor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dynoflo

stopping rust in a 4 year old race motor

Post by dynoflo »

I have a gm crate motor that has been raced for 4 years with water only as a coolant. It is starting to show rust in water. What to clean out with and what to add to stop rust.
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: stopping rust in a 4 year old race motor

Post by af2 »

dynoflo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:53 pm I have a gm crate motor that has been raced for 4 years with water only as a coolant. It is starting to show rust in water. What to clean out with and what to add to stop rust.
Vinegar Then wash.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

You leave water in your race engine? Put some petcocks in the block drains and drain out all of the water occasionally. And don't let it sit over the winter with water in it.
Any of the two part cooling system cleaners will work. The one with the phosphoric acid then neutralizer usually cleans up most of the rust.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Get a can of DuPont 2 part flush.
It's a acid and a neutralizer in powder form.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Doesn’t water wetter prevent that?

https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter
that said my grandpa used to put a 1/2 cup of mineral oil in rad of ol tractors. He said it kept the rust down on those early tractors as they ran on straight water. Would drain down every winter.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

did the white vinegar deal and then flushed. seemed to work pretty well. got 4 gallons of distilled water in it now. added 16 ounces risalone hyper cool. ill have to keep an eye on it. thanks for replies
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 am Get a can of DuPont 2 part flush.
It's a acid and a neutralizer in powder form.
Yes, that was great stuff (granular oxalic acid + a granular soda neutralizer) ...Is that still available?

Prestone had same but discontinued pn AS400. I thought both'd been taken off DIY shelves years ago. Part Number ?

I've been recreating it using DAP or similar hardware store Wood Bleach (granular oxalic acid).
OA will hurt ya, it's strong! Do use eye & hand protection.
6sally6
Expert
Expert

Post by 6sally6 »

Have the same rusty water problem.
I did the white vinegar flush (drove it around about a week and drained it. Now use distilled water and antifreeze.
Only problem now is..........every time I drive the truck.........I want a salad!!!
6sally6
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

for the uninitiated
tracks are different than street in many ways

circle track cars routinely beat & bang & tear up radiators, & hoses blow off/bust; dumping water AF mix onto asphalt makes a slick mess that does Not easily/quickly dry off. Other cars wreck in it & Stinks up the show.
all tracks I've run at strictly prohibit AF. Dumping AF on track can get ya banned for the season, loss of all season's points or worse.
The dumbazz that does it becomes #1 ... #1 pariah!
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

Antifreeze isn't the thing preventing rust in cooling system but AF does have rust inhibitors. Those same rust inhibitors can be bought separately to be used with straight water. Glycol in AF makes tracks slippery, not those rust inhibitors.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

Evaporust makes a radiator flush that worked wonders for a BBC I had that had very rusty water jackets. I put it in and left it for a week while driving the car.
I had to remove engine to make repairs and the water jackets looked brand new, no sign of rust.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

raced the car saturday night. started 13 th finished 3, pulled in pits temp was 180. took cap off looked in rad and could see 2 rows of tubes and they looked like new. end of story.
naukkis79
Pro
Pro

Post by naukkis79 »

Straight-water without corrosion inhibitors isn't fine for aluminium-head or other aluminium parts. They just don't rust, aluminium melt away with electrical corrosion.
norm

Post by norm »

naukkis79 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:31 am Straight-water without corrosion inhibitors isn't fine for aluminium-head or other aluminium parts. They just don't rust, aluminium melt away with electrical corrosion.
A zinc anode helps with this correct?
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

magnesium is commonly used as the anode in fresh water. Zincs are for salt water, where mag would get eaten away rather quickly.

Check for electrolysis with a DVOM. Shouldn't have more than 0.1VDC. One more reason to install petcocks and drain the block and radiator frequently.