ECM check or repair recommendations..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
ECM check or repair recommendations..

Post by gn69z28 »

I'm still looking for the random misfire on my 2005 suburban. I've done everything I can think of and I want to get the ECM checked to see if that's the problem. Anyone have any recommendations on who to send it to that does good work and decent turn around time?
cfm
Pro
Pro

Re: ECM check or repair recommendations..

Post by cfm »

Had one weird one customers 6.0 last year that would set a random misfire only after 1hr or so on highway. I drove it several times with no issue. He was also having a driver side vent door issue where the driver side would open to full hot on it’s own. I did the reprogram vent door list and gave it back for time being. I ran into him later and said random misfire and vent issue persisted. He found something online where a person cleaned contacts on coolant temp sensor for same sort of condition and issues went a way. So he did this and lol and behold his has been fine for almost a year now. Figured i’d nention this to you in case.
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

Thanks. I'll certainly give that a try.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Have not heard about the coolant sensor trick, something we do in the shop is to leave the ecm plugged in, disconnect either battery lead and jump together ,( i.e. positive to negative) leave key on,30-60 secs. this completely blanks the memory. This procedure may affect other modules, like seat and radio pre-sets. I just used this method to bring back an ecm that just shut down during a re-program, that was a close one. Will typically buy new and program.