Deep scratch- GM 454/438hp roller cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Machtuck
Deep scratch- GM 454/438hp roller cam

Post by Machtuck »

Pulled this GM billet 454/438hp crate engine cam out and was aghast at this deep scratch on one of its lobes. This is a mild cam: 211/230 .510/.540 112lsa. Running Howards 98611 single springs with damper. They are all set up around 1.9 heights which puts it about 140lbs on the seat and 340lbs at full lift. Cam is in a 9:1 402. Lifters are Howard’s Max Effort roller lifters and all look and operate perfectly. They are the full wheel type. It looks as if the lifter body may have contacted the lobe but again, no damage whatsoever to the associated lifter. DISCLAIMER- I cannot confirm nor deny that it may have spun a little high once or twice. 😂 No strange noises and this engine ran excellent with this cam. In fact, it’s a perfect cam for 4000# car, small converter, good exhaust and 3:42 gear. Pulls real hard with a small lope at idle and at 15 degrees idle and 36 total with stage two quadrajet and 1 3/4” headers. I calculated 15 mpg. Would like to use it again. Emory cloth ok?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Deep scratch- GM 454/438hp roller cam

Post by CamKing »

That's from the edge of the roller wheel.
It looks like, either the cam is screwed up, and has taper on that lobe, or the lifter bore is not perpendicular to the cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Thanks Mike. I never thought about the cam having a slight taper or imperfection. The block has had other cams with no apparent issues. Hoping that would eliminate the lifter bore not being aligned.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

Is the mark on the opening side or closing side of the lobe?

Approximately how deep is the scratch/mark?

Do you know how much lifter travel the Howard's lifters have?

I ran across a similar problem on some air boat engines (540 cid BBC, 6000 max. RPM).
Project Greenlight
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

I’m currently don’t have the cam to see but i think it was the closing side. The scratch is fairly deep. Very noticeable with the thumb nail. Don’t know the lifter travel but used these lifters on another more aggressive cam for a few years and no issues. Is there a way to check to see if there’s lobe taper? I would like to re-install this cam if at all possible. Thanks again for the replies.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

Machtuck wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 am I’m currently don’t have the cam to see but i think it was the closing side. The scratch is fairly deep. Very noticeable with the thumb nail. Don’t know the lifter travel but used these lifters on another more aggressive cam for a few years and no issues. Is there a way to check to see if there’s lobe taper? I would like to re-install this cam if at all possible. Thanks again for the replies.
A .0001 mic would be good enough.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Ok. Thank you
Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight »

Machtuck wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 am I’m currently don’t have the cam to see but i think it was the closing side. The scratch is fairly deep. Very noticeable with the thumb nail. Don’t know the lifter travel but used these lifters on another more aggressive cam for a few years and no issues. Is there a way to check to see if there’s lobe taper? I would like to re-install this cam if at all possible. Thanks again for the replies.
I had some airboat engines (maybe 4 or 5) that developed a similar problem. These engines may be run at 5500 RPMs for 30 minutes. The lifters had about 0.200" travel. We replaced the lifters with low travel lifters ( 0.050" ???) and the problem went away. I suspect that "valve float" was occurring.
Project Greenlight
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

That’s interesting. I’m going to mic the lobes and see if there is some taper. If no taper, i’ll probably install the lunati 121 springs which will have more seat and open pressure. Also, they are a dual spring.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

I’ll check the lifter travel. Thanks for the reply
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

That seems counterintuitive; there's normally higher contact forces on the opening side, so at the least it should also show wear.... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

I have seen a few cams with roller edge tracks like that.
As stated earlier, taper on the lobe or lifter bore out of alignment or too much cam end play is where I start looking for the cause.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
cknight

Post by cknight »

This also occurs when the guidebar on that pair if lifters does not have the arrow pointing up, causing the wheels not to track squarely on the lobe.
Machtuck

Post by Machtuck »

Good stuff. I’m still on a trip and will check to see if it was opening or closing side.

These are the springs.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Howa ... /HRC98611/

Don’t know if this hyperlink works or not.

145lb at 1.88 and 350lb at 1.25” max open. Don’t know the rate but I’m wondering if even the small nature of this cam would be too much for these single springs.
They are advertised for solid flat and hyd roller.

Exh lift is .540. Maybe open pressure not adequate especially at high rev.

How do i check lifter alignment?

I’ll take a look at the horizontal bar arrows too.

Thanks again for your replies.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Machtuck wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:47 pm Pulled this GM billet 454/438hp crate engine cam out and was aghast at this deep scratch on one of its lobes. This is a mild cam: 211/230 .510/.540 112lsa. Running Howards 98611 single springs with damper. They are all set up around 1.9 heights which puts it about 140lbs on the seat and 340lbs at full lift. Cam is in a 9:1 402. Lifters are Howard’s Max Effort roller lifters and all look and operate perfectly. They are the full wheel type. It looks as if the lifter body may have contacted the lobe but again, no damage whatsoever to the associated lifter. DISCLAIMER- I cannot confirm nor deny that it may have spun a little high once or twice. 😂 No strange noises and this engine ran excellent with this cam. In fact, it’s a perfect cam for 4000# car, small converter, good exhaust and 3:42 gear. Pulls real hard with a small lope at idle and at 15 degrees idle and 36 total with stage two quadrajet and 1 3/4” headers. I calculated 15 mpg. Would like to use it again. Emory cloth ok?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I have seen that issue as well with GM crate stuff guys run in boats for a short time then find they need more cam.
As mentioned the lifter alignment of the lifter bore may not be the issue but I have seen the axle for the roller off a few thou making the edge of the roller dig into the lobe.

Check the roller wheels for alignment as well.
The other thing if you want to reuse the cam send it to the local re-grinder. The GM crate profiles are some thing they can match up easily. For less then $100 to repair its worth the time to send it out.
I have done this to 5-6 cams in the last year or so and had no adverse affects to push rod length and found that they would be about.005" difference which is nothing for what your wanting.
But I did find as Mike suggested 1-2 cams did have a slight taper in the lobe which was corrected during the re-profiling of the cam but they had several lobes that needed attention.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors